• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will the Inevitable Primarying of Moderate Republicans Work?

Will the primarying of moderate Republicans in 2022 be a successful strategy?

• Yes - the Republicans will retake Congress on the strength of Trumpian candidates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - the Democrats will gain seats on the weakness of Trumpian candidates

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No - it'll be a wash; at best Republicans will keep the current seats

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Cameron

Politically Correct
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The general consensus among Trumpians on this forum, which I have not seen challenged much by the other side, is that the Republicans who vote to impeach/convict Trump and/or who work together with Dems over the next two years will be successfully primaried and we will wind up with a Trump-controlled government.

I'm not so sure about that. In order for this plan to work, Trumpians will first, of course, need to win the relevant primaries with real hardcore Trumpian candidates (e.g., Qanon and/or believe the 2020 election was fraudulent, everything Trump did was perfect, etc.). It's not clear they will even be able to do that, especially because those who voted against Trump are likely from at least semi-moderate districts.

The primary, of course, is not the end-game. They will then have to run against Democrats in those districts. And extremist GOP members don't have a terrific track record of winning national office after primarying more moderate Congresspeople. If the moderate Republicans who voted against the Trumpian candidates team up with a growing contingent of independents and Democrats, suddenly you have a very blue Congress. The nomination of extremist GOP candidates is in fact what led to several of the recent blue waves.

I know it's early, but what do you think? Will the primarying of moderate Republicans in 2022 be a successful strategy?

The general consensus among Trumpians on this forum, which I have not seen challenged much by the other side, is that the Republicans who vote to impeach/convict Trump and/or who work together with Dems over the next two years will be successfully primaried and we will wind up with a Trump-controlled government.

I'm not so sure about that. In order for this plan to work, Trumpians will first, of course, need to win the relevant primaries with real hardcore Trumpian candidates (e.g., Qanon and/or believe the 2020 election was fraudulent, everything Trump did was perfect, etc.). It's not clear they will even be able to do that, especially because those who voted against Trump are likely from at least semi-moderate districts.

The primary, of course, is not the end-game. They will then have to run against Democrats in those districts. And extremist GOP members don't have a terrific track record of winning national office after primarying more moderate Congresspeople. If the moderate Republicans who voted against the Trumpian candidates team up with a growing contingent of independents and Democrats, suddenly you have a very blue Congress. The nomination of extremist GOP candidates is in fact what led to several of the recent blue waves.

I know it's early, but what do you think? Will the primarying of moderate Republicans in 2022 be a successful strategy?
Of course, we can only speculate at this early point. But one thing we know to be fact is there are more Democrats than Republicans. So based on that fact, and Biden's level headed message to desire reaching across the aisle to find common ground, at this early point in time, I am of the opinion the GOP strategy is an effort in futily. Trump did long term damage to the GOP, and they have a very high hurdle to jump.

There really aren't any moderate Republican Senators anymore. The GOP's base's problems with Senators like Collins or Romney is not that they are insufficiently conservative, but rather that they are insufficiently Trumpian.

The crazies for the gop will be out in full force come the primaries. Most will lose in the general election even if they win their primary. As the op noted america is tired of the trumpian antics. Trump lost the midterms in 2018 and the most recent election because he is trump, a despicable human being. The right may love him but more people dislike him after four years.

The right will not learn until they lose a few elections in a row. Until then the crazies will be leading the three ring circus called the gop.

Is anyone remotely normal in the current crop of new repub legislators? I'm only aware of the crazies and the liars. Taylor-Green, Hawley, Boebert, Cawthorn, Malliotakas. This country is MESSED UP.

Both parties have been throwing moderates out for years.

If the Democrats don't get a bunch of stuff done to address issues like Covid, Climate Change, racism, unemployment, and many more, they'll lose seats in 2022.

Hahahaha, no. Every time they get an anti-incumbent wave like this they go farther right.

Because moderates are actually just kleptocrat trash that depend largely on (intentionally-promoted) voter apathy to stay in power.

It will not work. That is why they support violent insurrection.

There really aren't any moderate Republican Senators anymore. The GOP's base's problems with Senators like Collins or Romney is not that they are insufficiently conservative, but rather that they are insufficiently Trumpian.
Collins is a trumper. It's amazing people still think she is a moderate.

As a rule, the Democratic party is not throwing out moderates. There are plenty of new moderates in the Dem party; two were just elected to the Senate in Colorado and Arizona. A moderate just won the Democratic nomination for President and is now President. there is no term "DINO" in the democratic party. This "problem" is substantially on one side of the aisle.

I think the primaries will be successful for Trumpian type Republicans in those hard core Trump States but if 2020 was any indication their being on the ballot will drive more Independents and moderate Republicans to the Dems. States like AZ and GA will go bluer and bluer and other States like Texas, Florida and NC will move further away from Republicans. The GOP is becoming a party of extremists and, while there are more of them than I could have ever believed possible, there are not enough to win general and Senate elections, the House is iffier. Having said that, the Dems need to do a much better job of not letting lines like "defund the police" get away from them.

As long as the majority of the Republican base is composed of trump crazies then the Republicans running for office are going to have to appeal to them. That really leaves any sane, intelligent, moderate republican out of it. I can't even see why they would want to be a part of that party.

Back
Top Bottom