• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith stayed at Oscars because Chris Rock declined to have him arrested or removed, says producer

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Will Packer, producer for the Oscars, is detailing for the first time what happened behind-the-scenes after the Will Smith slap. Packer revealed on Good Morning America Friday how a stunned Chris Rock reacted in the aftermath and detailed their conversation with the LAPD during which Rock declined to have Smith arrested. In the interview, which aired Friday, Packer claimed Smith stayed at the show, going on to collect the Best Actor Oscar, because Rock allowed him to. However, Rock sources have disputed some of Packer's claims.

The Academy said in its statement earlier this week that Smith was asked to leave the show. Packer said this happened just before Smith's Best Actor category was announced — about 40 minutes after the slap. "Shayla [Cowan, another producer on the show,] told me they were about to physically remove Will Smith," Packer said. "I had not been a part of those conversations. So I immediately went to the Academy leadership that was onsite and I said 'Chris Rock doesn't want that ... Rock has made it clear that he does not want to make a bad situation worse.'"

Rock hasn't addressed the slap, saying at his comedy show in Boston on Thursday that the still has a lot to process. The following day, he shut down an audience member who cursed Smith. However, a Rock insider told TMZ on Friday that he "NEVER" said he didn't want Smith removed from the Dolby Theatre. "Chris told Packer 'I'm not pressing charges. All I want to do is leave,'" the source told the outlet. "He was never asked if he wanted Will removed. This is the Academy covering itself." However, an Academy source told TMZ that Packer was "not speaking on behalf of the Academy."

I'm sure this was a chaotic moment, but it's interesting that Smith wasn't immediately removed. When he eventually was, he refused, and the producer intervened (with a lie) to prevent him from being physically removed. And they actually gave him the award.

Also strange that Rock would have any say as to whether charges were pressed. There were plenty of witnesses. Normal process would be for police to arrest regardless of the victim's wishes, and let the DA sort it out. Obviously, there are different rules here.

do you know why Smith slapped him?

Paper beats Rock
I don't know what he was feeling at that moment. I don't even know if that was for real or a stunt. I don't care enough about celebrities. Let them have it out.

I don't know what he was feeling at that moment. I don't even know if that was for real or a stunt. I don't care enough about celebrities. Let them have it out.
you never played Paper, scissors, rock?

The Oscars are irrelevant and these desperate attempts to stage controversy are so eye roll worthy.

I'm sure this was a chaotic moment, but it's interesting that Smith wasn't immediately removed. When he eventually was, he refused, and the producer intervened (with a lie) to prevent him from being physically removed. And they actually gave him the award.

Also strange that Rock would have any say as to whether charges were pressed. There were plenty of witnesses. Normal process would be for police to arrest regardless of the victim's wishes, and let the DA sort it out. Obviously, there are different rules here.
Actually its pretty common under similar circumstances involving a simple battery rather than an aggravated battery, for cops to ask the victim if he wants the accused arrested or not. The fact that this is all so public (unlike most domestic episodes in a home or car or apartment), and there is no evidence of any physical injury ( a single slap), and there is no dramatic power or size disparity (One is 240 pounds of muscle, the other a 99 pound weakling) and Rock does not express any fear , makes this a fairly safe environment to leave this 'victim' in . Its not as though, they were worried that Smith would be inclined or would be allowed to beat him into a pulp once he left .

Its pretty much over as a police priority, unless Rock changes his mind, because he wants it to be over, Smith has absolutely no criminal record and there is a 0.00002 chance of escalating into a recurring pattern.

Last edited:
Whole situation is a microcosm for what ails Americans at present - self aggrandizement, self obsession, entitlement, toxic masculinity, and stress over the events of the last two years.

Why are we still talking about this?

The Rock camp denied that Rock didn't want Smith ejected or arrested. Sounds like hollywood political BS as usual.

The Rock camp denied that Rock didn't want Smith ejected or arrested. Sounds like hollywood political BS as usual.

If Rock wanted Smith arrested he could have done so.

It does seem a civil suit may be coming tho...smart...what would he get out of the county prosecuting Smith? But with a lawsuit...$$$$

Will Smith is a Diva on the set, he's yelled at plenty of co actors. Those stories are coming out in droves now. The man needs a therapist and something to calm his nerves.

He should have used his words, and his indoor voice. Looks like he was still in his role mindset. Protector of all from God is what he said in his acceptance speech, complete bullshit. I still can't believe he was allowed to accept it and everyone clapped. Hollywood is out of touch with reality, and if this didn't spell that out then nothing will.

I wonder how many homeless people they all passed on their way in there? Dozens I'm sure. And I bet they have it worse than a millionaire with Alopecia.

It's been less than a week.

If you aren't interested, there are many other threads you can look at.
It's such a trivial piece of nonsense I can't understand why it was national news to start with, much less still.

I tend not to follow entertainment news closely at all, but I did see some articles about Rock not having been asked about Smith's removal from the show.

ET article

The victim's consent normally doesn't play a role on whether someone is arrested for assault. It *might* play a role in charging if the victim is the only witness... but that's certainly not the case here. It shouldn't have played any part in deciding whether to eject Smith from the building (especially after Smith refused to leave when asked). As the producer pointed out, it was his decision not to do so. Definitely an example where there is a different set of rules for Hollywood elite.

Just remember when the Academy says they 'don't condone violence' - it's clearly a lie. Weinstein, Polanski, and now Smith prove otherwise.

It's such a trivial piece of nonsense I can't understand why it was national news to start with, much less still.
It's a great example of how there are different sets of rules for people like hollywood elite, and of course utter hypocrisy from organizations like the Academy. Not to mention how a TV show producer or comedian would have any say over the police in a law enforcement situation.

But again, if you aren't interested, there are lots of other threads.

I tend not to follow entertainment news closely at all, but I did see some articles about Rock not having been asked about Smith's removal from the show.

ET article
That's what this article said. But then, I don't know why he would have been asked - he was busy. Or why it would have even been a question.

It's a great example of how there are different sets of rules for people like hollywood elite, and of course utter hypocrisy from organizations like the Academy. Not to mention how a TV show producer or comedian would have any say over the police in a law enforcement situation.

But again, if you aren't interested, there are lots of other threads.
A week later?

move on.

That's what this article said. But then, I don't know why he would have been asked - he was busy. Or why it would have even been a question.
Based on the way Packer described it, this all happened after backstage so one can assume there was time to ask and sort things out. What seems to be the case is there's conflicting information on what Packer is saying and what Rock's camp is saying regarding who was asked what. I agree that it shouldn't have been a question for Rock, but rather a decision those running the event should have made on their own. I can't imagine this being acceptable behavior anywhere, and someone assaulting another person should have resulted in their immediate removal.

I agree with you, but I wouldn't want to be a stand up comedian now. Smith opened the door for assaulting them on stage if someone is offended by their jokes. If Smith can get away with it, why not them (they might think).

I agree with you, but I wouldn't want to be a stand up comedian now. Smith opened the door for assaulting them on stage if someone is offended by their jokes. If Smith can get away with it, why not them (they might think).
Well, the key distinction here being that not everyone has the same status as Will Smith, and I'm pretty sure if we end up with some copy cat trying this kind of thing they will not get the same treatment Smith did. Kathy Griffin made a comment expressing this sentiment, but there have been comedians making far worse comments of their audience for as long as I can remember, and anyone going to a comedy show sitting in the front row has to mentally prepare for being a target. In my many experiences going to local comedy shows, I've never witnessed someone getting up and attacking a comedian when made a target. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think this recent event will tip that scale.

What this event may do, is affect how comedians plan their comedy routines at these kind of events. The Oscars have always had comedians making jokes about those in attendance. This past one featured Amy Schumer roasting DiCaprio. That kind of thing might change, or at least how they handle someone who gets out of line in reaction to a joke.

Back
Top Bottom