• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap Backlash

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I think all of this is staged - the slap was staged, this resignation is staged - it's all just to drum up publicity:

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap Backlash​

Will Smith, facing possible expulsion or suspension after he assaulted Chris Rock during last Sunday’s Oscars telecast, has instead resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. The move comes as the actor is embroiled in the gravest crisis of his career and as the organization behind the Academy Awards has struggled in its attempts to deal with the fallout from the altercation. In a statement, Smith called his actions “shocking, painful and inexcusable” and said that he will accept any additional consequences that the Academy’s Board of Governors deems appropriate.

“The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

Smith also acknowledged that his actions overshadowed other winners at the 94th Academy Awards.

How will that organization ever manage with only its over 9K other members left intact? ;)
I feel so... victimized. ;)

And actually, they've bloated to over 10,000 make-believers as of October '21.

Something seems strange about the whole ordeal, it appeared dramatically staged. Smith and Rock would never admit to collusion now.
So Will Smith is no longer a member of the academy. What exactly does that mean? Is he banned from making movies? Is it just more show business "story telling"? How long does anyone believe Smith will be out of work? I don't know if the incident was real or staged for effect, but either way it was disgusting. Just another action that shows the those in the industry are not living in the real world with the rest of us. Anywhere else the police would have been called, Smith arrested for battery and removed and booked for the crime. Not in Hollywood where nothing is real.

Most Americans, hopefully, could not care less about what that "actor" does or says.

Nowadays, the title of "movie star" is used promiscuously.

There are no more Henry Fondas or Clark Gables or Betty Davises.

Now those were STARS!

And the Oscars have never been the same since Bob Hope stopped being the emcee.

(Yes, I am very old: 85.)

So Will Smith is no longer a member of the academy. What exactly does that mean? Is he banned from making movies? Is it just more show business "story telling"? How long does anyone believe Smith will be out of work? I don't know if the incident was real or staged for effect, but either way it was disgusting. Just another action that shows the those in the industry are not living in the real world with the rest of us. Anywhere else the police would have been called, Smith arrested for battery and removed and booked for the crime. Not in Hollywood where nothing is real.

Sounds like the academy gave Will Smith an easy out. Resign from the academy or we will cancel you....

I agree that what Will Smith did was disgusting, and if it was staged, double disgusting.

These Hollywood people all deserve one another... I won't ever watch another Academy Awards.

I don’t know what that means…. Anyone know?

I think it was meant to be possibly an act to drum up Oscar's support and domestic movie making. Hollywood is all but bought up by big foreign investors and is not the *place* to seek big movie projects anymore. Either that or Will Smith has mental problems.

It was just more black on black crime. Where is the Black Lives Matter now?
If Jesse Smollett was the host and a white actor slapped him, it would have been a hate crime!
Now, Will Smith is in tears....
and the Oscar goes to....

"You can't fire me, I quit."

Classy.

Most Americans, hopefully, could not care less about what that "actor" does or says.

Now those were STARS!

Still 85 huh…

It was just more black on black crime. Where is the Black Lives Matter now?
If Jesse Smollett was the host and a white actor slapped him, it would have been a hate crime!
Now, Will Smith is in tears....
and the Oscar goes to....
:love: it !!!

Seriously, if I were Jaida, an apparently empowered woman, dealing with her alopecia and isn't afraid to go out in public with a shaved head, I'd be livid if my allegedly "caring" husband threw a punch like a high schooler at a televised prestigious award show. And then he cries like a little bitch making it all about HIM.

Now those were STARS!

Yeah, the hippies ruined Hollywood, didn't they?

The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

Smith also acknowledged that his actions overshadowed other winners at the 94th Academy Awards.

Dear God, it wasn't that bad! You'd think he killed someone.
Hanging around with those people has got to be absolutely exhausting. Such drama.

The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

Dear God, it wasn't that bad! You'd think he killed someone.
Hanging around with those people has got to be absolutely exhausting. Such drama.
Was Alec Baldwin there?

Nah!

I just turned 85 this week.

Now I am in my 86th year.

Have a nice weekend!

Happy Birthday, Parser!!!!

Many more to come...

OIP.OynUehqTwoXLWR_Nut0h5wHaHa

Back
Top Bottom