• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap Backlash

So Will Smith is no longer a member of the academy. What exactly does that mean? Is he banned from making movies? Is it just more show business "story telling"? How long does anyone believe Smith will be out of work? I don't know if the incident was real or staged for effect, but either way it was disgusting. Just another action that shows the those in the industry are not living in the real world with the rest of us. Anywhere else the police would have been called, Smith arrested for battery and removed and booked for the crime. Not in Hollywood where nothing is real.
I wouldn't say it's just Hollywood, but the reality for those members of the financial elite who have the power and money to avoid the consequences that other people would have to endure. I agree that if what happened at the Oscars would have happened at some local meeting or sporting event etc. the person who assaulted another would have been treated much differently than the treatment Will Smith received. I also don't put much stock in the apology either, because if he had felt bad about it, I'm not sure why he would feel ok attending the after party.

I think it was meant to be possibly an act to drum up Oscar's support and domestic movie making. Hollywood is all but bought up by big foreign investors and is not the *place* to seek big movie projects anymore. Either that or Will Smith has mental problems.
have you actually watched the video? I don't think either of them are good enough actors to pull off that performance. If it was staged, they both deserve an oscar for it.

So Will Smith is no longer a member of the academy. What exactly does that mean? Is he banned from making movies? Is it just more show business "story telling"? How long does anyone believe Smith will be out of work? I don't know if the incident was real or staged for effect, but either way it was disgusting. Just another action that shows the those in the industry are not living in the real world with the rest of us. Anywhere else the police would have been called, Smith arrested for battery and removed and booked for the crime. Not in Hollywood where nothing is real.
The police were called and the victim, Chris Rock, declined to press charges against Smith, and so Smith was not arrested. That's how the law works.

Who cares? An elitist ****ed up and it'll be handled differently from us ... deplorables ..
What is deplorable is that Fresh Prince was given a standing O, when he picked up his trophy. He should have slunk on out of there & let GI Jane pick up Oscar. ;)

I think all of this is staged - the slap was staged, this resignation is staged - it's all just to drum up publicity:

If this happened yesterday I would lean towards agreeing, but it sure looked real.

What does it even matter that Smith resigned? Won't he save money by not paying dues?

If this happened yesterday I would lean towards agreeing, but it sure looked real.

What does it even matter that Smith resigned? Won't he save money by not paying dues?
A slap was the old timey challenge to a duel. Will Chris take up the challenge, in his stage act. Chris was the man here, by not rumbling up there on the stage.

Will joins the ranks of actors who I don't agree with, but like their movies.

A slap was the old timey challenge to a duel.
Imho, Smith only got up out of his seat when laughing at the joke turned to see the displeasure in Jada's face and thought he had to make himself look good to her. He was defending himself, not his wife's honor.
Will Chris take up the challenge, in his stage act. Chris was the man here, by not rumbling up there on the stage.
Chris did good. If he was built like the Rock, I doubt Smith would have moved. He probably would have told Jada to suck it up.
He's had some real stinkers also.

What is deplorable is that Fresh Prince was given a standing O, when he picked up his trophy. He should have slunk on out of there & let GI Jane pick up Oscar. ;)
GI Jane would define himself as a she? Curious?

:love: it !!!

Seriously, if I were Jaida, an apparently empowered woman, dealing with her alopecia and isn't afraid to go out in public with a shaved head, I'd be livid if my allegedly "caring" husband threw a punch like a high schooler at a televised prestigious award show. And then he cries like a little bitch making it all about HIM.
Given all the ailments people get today, if you have a condition in which all that happens is that you lose your hair, you should consider yourself a lucky duck.

Also, Demi Moore looked hot in "GI Jane," and being compared to her aint so bad an insult.

I can remember movie stars being roasted by comics. Will Smith is either too thin-skinned or feels a need to be hyper-macho.

Does Smith need to return his Oscar since he resigned?

Sounds like the academy gave Will Smith an easy out. Resign from the academy or we will cancel you....

I agree that what Will Smith did was disgusting, and if it was staged, double disgusting.

These Hollywood people all deserve one another... I won't ever watch another Academy Awards.
I never watched one to start with. Could not care less.

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap Backlash​

M'kay.

So....life as we know it is over? 😐

Given all the ailments people get today, if you have a condition in which all that happens is that you lose your hair, you should consider yourself a lucky duck.

Also, Demi Moore looked hot in "GI Jane," and being compared to her aint so bad an insult.

I can remember movie stars being roasted by comics. Will Smith is either too thin-skinned or feels a need to be hyper-macho.

I think I have alopecia, I have the same hair style as one of the founders, Ben Franklin.

Harvey Weinstein gets to keep his.

I bet there have been a lot of fat jokes made to people with thyroid problems too. A comedian, is a comedian, they make fun of everything!

Most Americans, hopefully, could not care less about what that "actor" does or says.

Nowadays, the title of "movie star" is used promiscuously.

There are no more Henry Fondas or Clark Gables or Betty Davises.

Now those were STARS!

And the Oscars have never been the same since Bob Hope stopped being the emcee.

(Yes, I am very old: 85.)
Yeah, those were some gilded saints!

I bet there have been a lot of fat jokes made to people with thyroid problems too. A comedian, is a comedian, they make fun of everything!
Comedy is walking on the edge, sometimes you* slip over the edge. I don't believe Rock's joke went over the edge, Smith's form of heckling went over the edge, IMO.
*Editorial you

Comedy is walking on the edge, sometimes you* slip over the edge. I don't believe Rock's joke went over the edge, Smith's form of heckling went over the edge, IMO.
*Editorial you
I agree. I guess if you find yourself to be a sensitive person, you should avoid comedian chosen emcees at the functions you are invited to.

I can't believe I just agreed with a progressive ;)

A slap was the old timey challenge to a duel. Will Chris take up the challenge, in his stage act. Chris was the man here, by not rumbling up there on the stage.

That's just it, I dont believe it was staged but if Smith really 'lost' it over the insult to his wife, wouldnt he have full-on punched Rock? So he may still have known exactly what he was doing. To make a point.

Meh, exceedingly poor judgement all around.

Back
Top Bottom