• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith attacks Chris Rocks at the Oscars

Staged.

Smith is literally laughing like a second or two before he walks up on stage. Chris Rock recovers and talks quickly as though it's just mildly awkward. If Smith were using actual violence, there would be nothing mildly awkward about it. Rock expected to be slapped. Smith got a chance to show he's 'da man'. All is well.

But the Oscars are still not worth watching.
I don't think it was staged.

Fun fact: my nephew was the handsome, young black man sitting behind Smith during the comedy sketch with Wanda Sykes dressed as Richard Williams. He's been a seat filler for about 5 Oscar ceremonies.

Will Smith acted like a complete mad man. Did you hear his speech? Crying and talking about god calling him and the devil???

What a lunatic.
Sounds entertaining. There should have been bread available. And trapeze artists, jugglers and elephants.

What he did is what real men do when their wife is being made a butt end of a joke due to her current health condition. G-d help all the wives who live with wimps.

Then “real men” should go to jail and get a career-limiting criminal record to go with it.

I don't think it was staged.

Fun fact: my nephew was the handsome, young black man sitting behind Smith during the comedy sketch with Wanda Sykes dressed as Richard Williams. He's been a seat filler for about 5 Oscar ceremonies.

Props to your nephew.

I honestly can't tell what's staged and what isn't. I could totally see Will Smith slapping the shit out of someone in the moment - he's done it before. But in the Oscars? It just seems a bit over the top. I didn't listen to the whole Chris Rock routine - was Chris Rock being an over the top asshole? Surely Will Smith and everyone there knows there's going to be some roasting going on.

Yes, it was a wig. Last year Jada came out publicly and said she shaved her head due to alopecia. People need to read up on alopecia before commenting.

Ah. Still just a joke and IMO, Smith totally over-reacted. There was no need for violence. I thought she looked nice.

What he did was a crime. That's called assault.
Correct.

Rock should avail himself of the legal system if he desires. If I'm on the jury...I'm finding him guilty and fining the Fresh Prince to pay $1.00.

I would hope that those critical of Mr. Smith would defend their spouse if someone said something like that. I guess being a "real man" only applies in the academic sense and when you have to do something, you guys chicken out?

You won’t be the only one. There will be plenty of PR firms and focus groups testing the damage to his box office drawing power.
Bullshit. Women are going to flock to see his movies because he defended his wife and will be dragging their boyfriends. Will Smith's career is going to blow up in a good way because of this incident.

You don't seem to know much about women.

Criticize me all you want....making a joke about my wife's medical condition....nope.

It was tasteless, but a joke can’t kill or injure your wife. But striking someone can physically injure the person, perhaps fatally. I’m sure your wife would be proud of you defending her honor, and she can send you cookies in prison.

Looking at it again in slow-mo, it really, really seems a bit staged. Either that or Will Smith just telegraphed what he was going to do because Chris Rock rolls away from the slap, almost as if it's a pro-wrestler choreographing the receiving end.

Bullshit. Women are going to flock to see his movies because he defended his wife and will be dragging their boyfriends. Will Smith's career is going to blow up in a good way because of this incident.

You don't seem to know much about women.

Women dont like assholes. He came across as an asshole. Women dont like men who hit. I doubt this will help his career.

It was tasteless, but a joke can’t kill or injure your wife. But striking someone can physically injure the person, perhaps fatally. I’m sure your wife would be proud of you defending her honor, and she can send you cookies in prison.

Want to bet that Will Smith doesn't go to prison?

In his acceptance speech it looked to me like he was attempting to draw a comparison between his behavior and the desire of the object of King Richard, Richard Williams, to protect his family. It looked like an attempt at damage control, but to me it fell flat.
He could have won the house had he said something like “what Chris Rock did was inexcusable; but so was what I did. Let’s leave it at that.”

Women dont like assholes. He came across as an asshole. Women dont like men who hit. I doubt this will help his career.

Have you ever worked in corrections?

Most of the domestic violence cases we have here feature the spouse (usually the wife) bailing her assaulter (usually the husband) out of jail. In Texas the law states that the State becomes the plaintiff in these cases (that should tell you how rare it is that a wife testifies against her attacker). Still, most of them get dismissed because the wife will not cooperate with the prosecution.

Drive by any jail on a visitation day and see who is standing in line outside the jail...women. Who are they going to see?

Most of the domestic violence cases we have here feature the spouse (usually the wife) bailing her assaulter (usually the husband) out of jail. In Texas the law states that the State becomes the plaintiff in these cases (that should tell you how rare it is that a wife testifies against her attacker). Still, most of them get dismissed because the wife will not cooperate with the prosecution.

Drive by any jail on a visitation day and see who is standing in line outside the jail...women. Who are they going to see?

That has little to do with what women are attracted to. That they get degraded and become dependent isnt the same thing as what they 'want' or are attracted to.

What an odd post, so out of place in this thread. I dont intend to follow up with it.

Probably husbands and boyfriends who didn’t commit domestic violence, or are you saying that most males in jail are for DV?

He could have won the house had he said something like “what Chris Rock did was inexcusable; but so was what I did. Let’s leave it at that.”

The words “I’m sorry” go a long way. In business, employees dealing with a complaint from a member of the public are taught to say these words whether they’re at fault or not.

Final judgment: staged as ****.

Sorry, but Chris Rock had to know that Will Smith wasn't coming up there to shake his hand. What normal guy in that situation doesn't back up, allows Smith to land a clean slap to the face, rolls with it just at the right moment, and then continues the show? And doesn't press charges?

It's staged.

The Oscars ratings are in decline. They needed a gimmick to get people to talk about it. Congrats. They got one.

No it wasn't. She had all hair off her face. Maybe that is what you saw. But she had hair on top of her head. It sure as heck wasn't a hat.

What hair? She looks pretty G.I. Jane here. If she's wearing a wig, it must be glued to the back of her head.

jada-pinkett-smith-will-smith-oscars-2022_94-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom