• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith attacks Chris Rocks at the Oscars

The only thing resigning did was remove his vote from future Oscar contenders. Hopefully they are looking at more -- even not allowing him to attend next year and present an award as has been tradition

As far as taking away his Oscar -- they did not take Weinstein's or Pulanski's so doubt they are even contemplating that
Seems kinda harsh for a staged slap.

Very possible. The Oscars have been slowly not so slowly lately dying off as something people want to watch.

Last one I watched was the one hosted by Ricky gervais and I didn't watch the Oscars I just watched Ricky gervais.
And Ricky really did insult people. They all controlled themselves.

He shouldn't have done what he did, but I can understand the reason behind it.
You don't know the reason behind it. You are assuming it was to defend his wife.

At the Oscar's and I assume on national TV, in an industry where physical appearance is everything.

It would be humiliating and because Rock did not stop at one line, but continued the joke, it made it worse.
Why was it humiliating for Rock to make jokes like that but not Ricky Gervais?

Why was it humiliating for Rock to make jokes like that but not Ricky Gervais?
I can see an argument that making fun of someone’s appearance, while they’re sitting in front of you and a large audience is watching, is especially juvenile and mean, especially when that appearance is not by choice. Chris should not have made that joke, and I can understand a husband being really pissed. Chris should apologize for the joke.

But that does not justify Will’s reaction by any stretch. Chris and Will were both wrong, but Will’s wrong was much more egregious. I think Will’s intensity and passion got the better of him.

And Ricky really did insult people. They all controlled themselves.
Well they weren't cucks to the Lord and goddess Jada pinkett Smith.

Was it a Voltaire quote you'll know who has power over you because that's who you can't criticize.

I can see an argument that making fun of someone’s appearance, while they’re sitting in front of you and a large audience is watching, is especially juvenile and mean, especially when that appearance is not by choice. Chris should not have made that joke, and I can understand a husband being really pissed. Chris should apologize for the joke.

But that does not justify Will’s reaction by any stretch. Chris and Will were both wrong, but Will’s wrong was much more egregious. I think Will’s intensity and passion got the better of him.
Jada is not a sacred cow and Chris has said publicly that he didn't know of er condition, if she has one.

This falls under the heading of **** you if you can't take a joke.

Jada is not a sacred cow and Chris has said publicly that he didn't know of er condition, if she has one.

Yeah, after talking with my wife, I agree. Chris didn't actually make any derogatory comment about her appearance, just (correctly) noted that she would look the part for GI Jane 2.

I think I need to watch GI Jane again, I recall it being a good movie.

We watched King Richard the day after the slap. Pretty good movie, and Will did a good job, but I wouldn't say his performance was necessarily worthy of an Oscar.

Last edited:
Denzel had some pretty dumb stuff to say about all this. Thinks it's all about the devil and prayer, no actual insight into anything. Fantastic actor though.

Even Will has said "Aw these are jokes, come on!"

hypocrite - for all he knew the guy had a medical condition.

Sources? Stuff "I have seen" doesnt really cut it.

Ever heard of Google?

Just because you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean it is not true.

"African-Americans accounted for 55.9% of all homicide offenders in 2019, with whites 41.1%, and "Other" 3.0% in cases where the race was known."

"In 2020, the Black or African American alone population (41.1 million) accounted for 12.4% of all people living in the United States"

Blacks therefore commit 4,5 times more murders (per million) than whites.

Ever heard of Google?

Just because you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean it is not true.

"African-Americans accounted for 55.9% of all homicide offenders in 2019, with whites 41.1%, and "Other" 3.0% in cases where the race was known."

"In 2020, the Black or African American alone population (41.1 million) accounted for 12.4% of all people living in the United States"

Blacks therefore commit 4,5 times more murders (per million) than whites.
Should be noted, though, that most of these murders by blacks are committed against other blacks, generally in poorer areas and often drug-related.

Would be interesting to compare murder rates for blacks vs white in the middle class.

Should be noted, though, that most of these murders by blacks are committed against other blacks, generally in poorer areas and often drug-related.

Does it really matter to you WHO they kill?

Why?

The problem is the propensity to kill by some members of the black community.....and why it exists.

Does it really matter to you WHO they kill?

Why?

The problem is the propensity to kill by some members of the black community.....and why it exists.
Knowing the pattern of the violence is needed to help understand why that violence exists. Otherwise, people are prone to making inaccurate overgeneralizations like ‘black people generally tend to be more violent than other races’.

Back
Top Bottom