• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Will Rita make the U.S. look

wxcrazytwo

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
embarrassing in handling another major catastrophy? It seems that way. Poor Bush drinking shots again to kill the pain.

wxcrazytwo said:
embarrassing in handling another major catastrophy? It seems that way. Poor Bush drinking shots again to kill the pain.

Your such a hater your already going after the president for a natural disaster that hasn't even happened yet ...LOL

We handled the last problem fine in my opinion. There were a few bumps. But what do you expect when your dealing with a one off catastophe. No nation in the world could have done better under the circumstances IMO. But you keep on blaming him for the weather and such, even the **** that hasn't happened yet...LOL

Calm2Chaos said:
Your such a hater your already going after the president for a natural disaster that hasn't even happened yet ...LOL

We handled the last problem fine in my opinion. There were a few bumps. But what do you expect when your dealing with a one off catastophe. No nation in the world could have done better under the circumstances IMO. But you keep on blaming him for the weather and such, even the **** that hasn't happened yet...LOL

Dude, I am opening up a cafe, maybe you should stop by and sniff some espresso, because KATRINA was a friggin debacle and still is. RITA hasn't even made it to land yet and we have over 25 deaths, traffic backed up and confusion reigns in his state.

wxcrazytwo said:
Dude, I am opening up a cafe, maybe you should stop by and sniff some espresso, because KATRINA was a friggin debacle and still is. RITA hasn't even made it to land yet and we have over 25 deaths, traffic backed up and confusion reigns in his state.

And your blaming this on Bush. He detonated the bus I guess. Or was it the same secret org that blew up the WTC. Katrina was a one of a kind disaster which eliminated entire counties from the map. This includes roads and highways. This was a disaster the likes never seen before in the world. Not bad for what they had to deal with.

wxcrazytwo said:

Look, no doubt about it, I think we handled the last disaster terribly at all levels of government with exceptionally terrible performance at the federal level, but I think its pretty sleazy to say the least to use some National Enquirer article to accuse the president of drinking again. That is the kind of filth the republicans would try to throw at then President Clinton during the nineties.

The hurricane hasn’t even hit yet. I think we will probably do a lot better handling this one than we did Katrina. As to the problems people are having evacuating, have you ever been to Houston? The traffic in that city is wall to wall at 2 am on a Saturday. The city has some of the most congested highways in the nation. Moreover, it’s the fourth largest city in terms of population, but in terms of square miles, it is the largest metro in the nation. I don’t know how any reasonable individual could blame the traffic jams getting out of town on the President. They have turned the freeways into one way traffic only going out of town, they are doing their best to evacuate the poor and sick, I mean just don’t know what else they could possibly do at any level of government so far.

Calm2Chaos said:
And your blaming this on Bush. He detonated the bus I guess. Or was it the same secret org that blew up the WTC. Katrina was a one of a kind disaster which eliminated entire counties from the map. This includes roads and highways. This was a disaster the likes never seen before in the world. Not bad for what they had to deal with.

Uh, you forgot the Galveston cane in 1900, and Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And, they are still dealing with it. Type in failure on google and see what you get.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Look, no doubt about it, I think we handled the last disaster terribly at all levels of government with exceptionally terrible performance at the federal level, but I think its pretty sleazy to say the least to use some National Enquirer article to accuse the president of drinking again. That is the kind of filth the republicans would try to throw at then President Clinton during the nineties.

The hurricane hasn’t even hit yet. I think we will probably do a lot better handling this one than we did Katrina. As to the problems people are having evacuating, have you ever been to Houston? The traffic in that city is wall to wall at 2 am on a Saturday. The city has some of the most congested highways in the nation. Moreover, it’s the fourth largest city in terms of population, but in terms of square miles, it is the largest metro in the nation. I don’t know how any reasonable individual could blame the traffic jams getting out of town on the President. They have turned the freeways into one way traffic only going out of town, they are doing their best to evacuate the poor and sick, I mean just don’t know what else they could possibly do at any level of government so far.

I agree that Texas had done a tremondous job so far. I guess we will have to wait and see..

wxcrazytwo said:
Uh, you forgot the Galveston cane in 1900, and Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And, they are still dealing with it. Type in failure on google and see what you get.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki???

Is there a point to the above at all?

Your complaining about a one of a kind disaster. How do you respond to something that has never happened before. It may be a little tougher then your average problem you think? If we are going to place blame lat on the local government, but even then the same thing is evident. It was a one of a kind disaster, and no one was completely sure how to respond 100%.

Calm2Chaos said:
Hiroshima and Nagasaki???

Is there a point to the above at all?

Your complaining about a one of a kind disaster. How do you respond to something that has never happened before. It may be a little tougher then your average problem you think? If we are going to place blame lat on the local government, but even then the same thing is evident. It was a one of a kind disaster, and no one was completely sure how to respond 100%.

Exactly, the Feds did not know how to respond. The local government is pathetic anyways, so I give no credence to their power.

wxcrazytwo said:
Exactly, the Feds did not know how to respond. The local government is pathetic anyways, so I give no credence to their power.

It's never happened before, here or anyplace else. So ya the response was slower as things got worked out. But it was ramped up pretty damm quick in my opinion

Calm2Chaos said:
It's never happened before, here or anyplace else. So ya the response was slower as things got worked out. But it was ramped up pretty damm quick in my opinion

Yeah, nearly 5 days later, and then after the whole country was screaming about it.

Calm2Chaos said:

Ramped up, levies are failing, N.O. is re-flooding, and their is a fungus-among us. Ramped up too damned quick if you tell me..

wxcrazytwo said:
Ramped up, levies are failing, N.O. is re-flooding, and their is a fungus-among us. Ramped up too damned quick if you tell me..

Two Cat 4's in a matter of weeks. Sorry.... but there is no way to expect, plan or avoid something like this. When I see this same scenario unfold someplace else and handled better and faster Then maybe there is something to talk about. Until then we are dealing with a one off situation that people are handling and learning as they go. In a few years from now this would be unacceptable, because we know better now. But since it is the first and only time I can remeber something like this happening anywhere in the world, the correct contingency plans were not in place. But I agree there were failures, on the most basic levels. The flooding of 1000's buses to start was probably not the best usage of those vehicles

SouthernDemocrat said:
Yeah, nearly 5 days later, and then after the whole country was screaming about it.

your right....... the displacement of millions and flooding of 90,000 square miles should have been handled and fixed in a week. i can see that as being legitimate.....I was being sarcastic there

Calm2Chaos said:
Two Cat 4's in a matter of weeks. Sorry.... but there is no way to expect, plan or avoid something like this. When I see this same scenario unfold someplace else and handled better and faster Then maybe there is something to talk about. Until then we are dealing with a one off situation that people are handling and learning as they go. In a few years from now this would be unacceptable, because we know better now. But since it is the first and only time I can remeber something like this happening anywhere in the world, the correct contingency plans were not in place. But I agree there were failures, on the most basic levels. The flooding of 1000's buses to start was probably not the best usage of those vehicles

Oh jeese, thousands of buses and nowhere to go. Where duh hell you gonna put thousands of people on buses too? Give me a break.

wxcrazytwo said:
Oh jeese, thousands of buses and nowhere to go. Where duh hell you gonna put thousands of people on buses too? Give me a break.
Nowhere to go?...I'm sorry you don't feel this way, but if the alternate choice is to live like they did in New Orleans, I would've jumped on any bus whose destination is "Someplace else"....

I wouldn't of cared where...drop me off in the desert...Take me to Compton...Drop me off in the middle of Detroit after a Piston's championship or the day before Halloween...I wouldn't jumped on a bus in a New York minute(Apparently, A "New Orleans minute" is 5 days)...:roll:

As for your second sentence...Where duh hell you gonna put thousands of people on buses too?...That is part of the city's emergency plan, which was not implemented...If you have a problem with it, I suggest you take it up with the local officials who have the authority & responsibility to implement it.

Calm2Chaos said:

Wrong. The Australian city of Darwin was completely decimated by Cyclone Tracy in the 1970s, and our government didn't sit around deciding if they should send in rescue teams and medical aid.

vergiss said:
Wrong. The Australian city of Darwin was completely decimated by Cyclone Tracy in the 1970s, and our government didn't sit around deciding if they should send in rescue teams and medical aid.

So your going to compare Katrina with well over a million people displaced,killed, lost or trapped covering over 90,000 square miles. And your comparison to this is a small port town of 100,000 people covering 1,660 Sq km.

And after this flood what happened to the water that decimated this little enclave? Sorry but your comparing aples to oranges here

Calm2Chaos said:
So your going to compare Katrina with well over a million people displaced,killed, lost or trapped covering over 90,000 square miles. And your comparison to this is a small port town of 100,000 people covering 1,660 Sq km.

And after this flood what happened to the water that decimated this little enclave? Sorry but your comparing aples to oranges here

Yeah, but it is still fruit. LOL

wxcrazytwo said:
Yeah, but it is still fruit. LOL

Well ya definetly got me there :lol:

Calm2Chaos said:

Small port town? Little enclave?! :doh I don't know if you're saying that to be condescending, or if you're just ignorant, but you have got to be joking. It's a capital city. What's more, Cyclone Tracy hit nearby islands and other actual small towns in the vicinity, ripping them to shreds.

Sure, Darwin was a tenth the size in terms of population, but certainly wasn't a tenth the size regarding the havoc it wreaked upon the people. Most of the city was utterly flattened. The place looked like Hiroshima after the bomb went off. What's more, hardly any of the residents had evacuated the city before the storm hit. Yet, only 65 people died, and there was none of the anarchy and chaos that occurred after Katrina. The federal government sent in emergency help and medical teams immediately.

Apples and oranges? Only if you want to be pedantic. You said it had never happened before, anywhere in the world. I corrected you. You can't change the rules just because they don't suit you, mate. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom