• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Republicans Try Another Election Coup in 2024?

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Will Republicans Try Another Election Coup in 2024?

1615435851-ari-nagelt.jpg

4/14/21
There is a lot of angst in Republican Establishment circles over the 45th president’s reported rant at a Republican donor conference near his Florida home over the weekend. Trump is apparently still furious at Brian Kemp for impeding his election coup, and Mike Pence for failing to steal a second term for him anyway, and at Mitch McConnell for refusing to back his electoral vote challenge and then criticizing him for inciting a riot. But what if Trump’s attacks on those who “betrayed” him in 2020 aren’t just narcissistic or backward-looking? What if it’s part of a forward-looking plan to rerun 2020 and get it right this time? That’s the question Jonathan V. Last of The Bulwark appears to have asked himself, and he’s answered it with a hair-raising hypothesis that is as plausible as the assumption that Trump is just throwing temper tantrums. It is likely Republicans will have majorities in the congressional delegations of at least 26 states for the foreseeable future. They have a >50 percent chance of winning the House in 2022 and a pretty good shot at flipping the Senate. So the first two preconditions for winning the presidency while losing the election are very much on the table. Which leaves just one project: Mustering the political will to move past both the popular vote and the Electoral College.

If you begin not with the assumption that Trump’s entire effort to steal the election was absurd, but regard it as an audacious plan that wasn’t executed with the necessary precision, then reverse engineering it to fix the broken parts makes sense: [T]he key parts of the Republican autopsy have been (1) building the political will to use raw power next time and (2) removing the Republican officials who were not willing to comply last time. That’s why Republican state parties have censured nearly every Republican who did not participate in Trump’s attempted coup. And the really heady thing for Trump is knowing how easy it was to convince the GOP rank-and-file base that his lies were the gospel truth: The Big Lie is actually the biggest insight to come from the Republican autopsy. Republicans and their enablers discovered that if they make false, evidence-free claims often and loudly enough, then the vast majority of their voters will believe them. And then, once Republican voters were onboard, they found that the rest of the party elites would either join them or stay silent. Only a handful of Republicans dared to object. And those figures are in the process of being either defeated or coopted. It’s a chilling thought, and one to revisit if Trump’s Republican enemies go down to primary challenges next year.

To Republicans contemplating a 2024 coup scenario, 2020 was a dress rehearsal that only needs some doable tweaks to succeed next time.

We don't know. What we DO know is that they lack the American values that would keep Americans who aren't traitors from doing it. So whether they will mostly depends whether they think it'll help them, not whether it's a war on democracy. Note how they voted not to impeach trump for the first one and he's still the top choice for 2024 at this time.

It is worthy of noting that the GQP has diverted their focus from policy changes, that appeal to the masses, to obstructing the vote and putting into law the measures needed to overturn the electorate. Even with their flagrant gerrymandering they still lose. They need to come up with a Plan B. They weren't able to do that for Trump and we now see them changing the rules so that the next time the dems win, (should they overcome the obstructions put in place) they will have a way to overturn.

I suspect most measures will be challenged all the way to the Supreme Court and, if history is to repeat itself, SCOTUS will hand the GQP their ass on a silver platter.

Time will tell. But society at large has just about had enough of today's modern GQP.

God I hope not, we don't need right-wing nutjobs trying to overturn the Constitution every election cycle.

God I hope not, we don't need right-wing nutjobs trying to overturn the Constitution every election cycle.
They aren't waiting for the next cycle, they are trying now!

I hope they run Trump again.
I don't, I won't let him anywhere near the Oval Office or anyone like him like Cruz.

I repent, I'm sorry, I could have had a lower scoring Candidate against Hillary or Sanders.

Four years of Trump was punishment enough for how they behaved, now we must hold the Presidency and Majorities for some time to get anything done and fix this, to not cut revenue. Hopefully the Democrats will continue to do the right thing.

The Republicans seem to do nothing but act toward their defeat, so let them, and let us hope the Democrats get out to vote in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom