• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will reality shows kill the t.v script writers

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Some time ago there was a song about videos killing the radio star.

Today it seems like Reality shows are killing T.V. script writers.

Reality shows are done cheap there is no sets to speak of the actors get paid below good actor's wages and I don't think there is a script to Big Brother or American Idol or Survivor or the rest of these shows that some call entertainment.

As for me I thought T.V. was a way to escape from reality not a way to embrace more reality.

We as humans are surrounded by reality everyday, why should we want to watch more?:peace

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your views or comments.

I don't think so....I think viewer demographics aren't just "more='s better".

Age groups, disposable income etc also come into play. Not to mention premium channels seem to be doing better TV than ever when it comes to scripted TV. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, etc is a pretty impressive list of shows out at the same time. Granted none of those are NBC/CBS/ABC but if you want good television you gotta pay for it.

Not to mention Netflix jumping into the game with Arrested Development and House of Cards.

Reality shows are done cheap there is no sets to speak of the actors get paid below good actor's wages and I don't think there is a script to Big Brother or American Idol or Survivor or the rest of these shows that some call entertainment.

As for me I thought T.V. was a way to escape from reality not a way to embrace more reality.

We as humans are surrounded by reality everyday, why should we want to watch more?:peace

Tommy and I enjoy some reality shows...the pawn shop ones (two of them); the cooking shows. You say TV is supposed to be a form of escapism. Yep, I agree. I get to escape into a pawn shop and somebody else's kitchen -- or learn the backstory at restaurants and bars. Very entertaining, I'd say. And, glory be!! I actually learn something!

Oh! He likes the car shows, too -- the guys who buy and fix up classics.

Last edited:
No effect, since reality TV is the furthest thing from reality.

As I understand it there actually are sometimes scripts for reality shows, although not in the same way that you'll see fully fleshed out scripts for, say, Game of Thrones (don't ask me about the details - I'm vaguely remembering an LA Times article from about a decade ago). Having said that, no I don't think reality TV will kill scripted shows, because many people ****ing hate reality TV (I'm one of them) and would much rather watch something with an actual plot and clever dialogue.

Having said that, reality TV has changed the game for scriptwriters (also for actors). Each tv slot that goes to the next iteration of "Entitled Trashy Narcissists Bitching at Each Other" (that's a working title, btw) robs actual actors and writers of another opportunity to do their thing. That's a problem, and it either has, or will eventually steal from us the next Seinfeld or Homeland.

Last edited:
As I understand it there actually are sometimes scripts for reality shows, although not in the same way that you'll see fully fleshed out scripts for, say, Game of Thrones (don't ask me about the details - I'm vaguely remembering an LA Times article from about a decade ago). Having said that, no I don't think reality TV will kill scripted shows, because many people ****ing hate reality TV (I'm one of them) and would much rather watch something with an actual plot and clever dialogue.

Having said that, reality TV has changed the game for scriptwriters (also for actors). Each tv slot that goes to the next iteration of "Entitled Trashy Narcissists Bitching at Each Other" (that's a working title, btw) robs actual actors and writers of another opportunity to do their thing. That's a problem, and it either has, or will eventually steal from us the next Seinfeld or Homeland.

It is called "Frankenbiting" They decide what story they want to tell and in what way and in what tones and then take footage and cut and splice it together to achieve that even if it ends up being made up conversations from bits and pieces of footage taken over months and even if they have to overlay sound from some other conversation on the image from the one they are showing. You can pick up on it if you watch out for it because people will have different clothes on, or will be sitting in different places, of an object in the background that was there in one shot might not be in the next. Most viewers do not pick up on it.

An example might be that I tell you an off-color joke, and you laugh at it and it is no big deal. They then take me telling the joke, replace your reaction shot where you laughed with footage they filmed of you learning your dog died, and then splice together an argument you and I had 2 months later over whose turn it is to clean and create a scene that makes me look like an ass and you being offended and calling me on it and a dramatic fight ensues.

Too many people, like me and Aderleth, hate reality shows. We'll always need good story-tellers.

No effect, since reality TV is the furthest thing from reality.

Agreed. The format of most reality shows is to let the individuals be who they are, but script exaggerated portions of their personality and the situations they find themselves in.

It is called "Frankenbiting" They decide what story they want to tell and in what way and in what tones and then take footage and cut and splice it together to achieve that even if it ends up being made up conversations from bits and pieces of footage taken over months and even if they have to overlay sound from some other conversation on the image from the one they are showing. You can pick up on it if you watch out for it because people will have different clothes on, or will be sitting in different places, of an object in the background that was there in one shot might not be in the next. Most viewers do not pick up on it.

An example might be that I tell you an off-color joke, and you laugh at it and it is no big deal. They then take me telling the joke, replace your reaction shot where you laughed with footage they filmed of you learning your dog died, and then splice together an argument you and I had 2 months later over whose turn it is to clean and create a scene that makes me look like an ass and you being offended and calling me on it and a dramatic fight ensues.

The editing always gets me. Last night we were watching shipping wars and one of the guys was driving a single cab truck when suddenly it had a back seat then didn't again. Later in the show the guy upgraded to the bigger truck but it was so obviously a different truck for a second there. It bothers me, yet I can't stop watching.

Age groups, disposable income etc also come into play. Not to mention premium channels seem to be doing better TV than ever when it comes to scripted TV. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, etc is a pretty impressive list of shows out at the same time. Granted none of those are NBC/CBS/ABC but if you want good television you gotta pay for it.

Not to mention Netflix jumping into the game with Arrested Development and House of Cards.

This, TV has been really good the past few years.

Oh, and it's funny to think reality TV shows aren't "scripted" :lol:

do you know what spurred on the push for reality shows? threats that the professionals were gonna strike a few years ago

do you know what spurred on the push for reality shows? threats that the professionals were gonna strike a few years ago

Reality shows were already big money before the writer's strike, and in fact the writer's strike was caused in part by poor treatment of reality show writers. However, you're certainly right that the strike further catalyzed reality TV. My guess is that that would have happened anyhow, it just might have taken a bit longer.

Reality shows were already big money before the writer's strike, and in fact the writer's strike was caused in part by poor treatment of reality show writers. However, you're certainly right that the strike further catalyzed reality TV. My guess is that that would have happened anyhow, it just might have taken a bit longer.

from what I was told, the networks scrambled for a contingency in case there were strikes so they spent a fair amount of time developing "reality show" plots. when other shows bombed they had the foundation for replacements that often worked out.

from what I was told, the networks scrambled for a contingency in case there were strikes so they spent a fair amount of time developing "reality show" plots. when other shows bombed they had the foundation for replacements that often worked out.

That's certainly true. I was living in LA when a lot of this was happening so I saw some of how this played out from the perspective of struggling writers and actors; but also to an extent from the perspective of the producers who frequented the restaurant I managed before getting out of the biz and going to law school. But prior to any strike rumblings there was already a huge push for reality TV for more obvious reasons (i.e. they're ridiculously cheap to produce and for some reason lots of people like them).

That's certainly true. I was living in LA when a lot of this was happening so I saw some of how this played out from the perspective of struggling writers and actors; but also to an extent from the perspective of the producers who frequented the restaurant I managed before getting out of the biz and going to law school. But prior to any strike rumblings there was already a huge push for reality TV for more obvious reasons (i.e. they're ridiculously cheap to produce and for some reason lots of people like them).

true, the money they give away on jeopardy pales with what Charlie Sheen got for one episode of 2.5 men or Jennifer Anniston got for Friends

Reality shows aren't "reality." It's so obvious that everything is contrived so that every episode has some conflict needing resolution. Lotsa yelling and posing.

I was going to compare the trend to the old Roman Circus, but that would be doing a disservice to history. :)

Yet of the shows you mentioned none were a Reality show all were fiction based on what might be reality, that means all are done off of a script which was written.

Big brother is a reality show no script.:peace

Tommy and I enjoy some reality shows...the pawn shop ones (two of them); the cooking shows. You say TV is supposed to be a form of escapism. Yep, I agree. I get to escape into a pawn shop and somebody else's kitchen -- or learn the backstory at restaurants and bars. Very entertaining, I'd say. And, glory be!! I actually learn something!

Oh! He likes the car shows, too -- the guys who buy and fix up classics.

To that I would say different strokes for different folks, in short I respect peoples wish to watch what they please.

As for some of the reality shows like storage wars on the history channel I would have to ask what a storage unit in 2013 has to do with history?:peace

Sad but true, but if you check the networks with the most action you will find the most viewers , for instance CBS , N.C.I.S, PERSON OF INTEREST . ELEMENTARY just to name a few .:peace

Too many people, like me and Aderleth, hate reality shows. We'll always need good story-tellers.

Make that three I never liked Reality shows but if someone else wants to watch them that is their concern.:peace

Agreed. The format of most reality shows is to let the individuals be who they are, but script exaggerated portions of their personality and the situations they find themselves in.

Well I stand with you I do not like Reality shows , but if it isn't Reality, and has no plot or climax , what the Hell is it spending time maybe or more like killing time. lol:peace

The editing always gets me. Last night we were watching shipping wars and one of the guys was driving a single cab truck when suddenly it had a back seat then didn't again. Later in the show the guy upgraded to the bigger truck but it was so obviously a different truck for a second there. It bothers me, yet I can't stop watching.

Like I said cheap obviously the editor is in the on the job training to save somebody a buck.:peace

This, TV has been really good the past few years.

Oh, and it's funny to think reality TV shows aren't "scripted" :lol:

So Reality shows aren't really Reality shows?

Isn't that false advertisement ?:peace

HA, even rich people ask for more money.:peace

Back
Top Bottom