• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will people Divorce for obama (Hand Out) Care?

CalGun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What the Self-Employed Don't Know About Obamacare Subsidies - Businessweek

As it reads a married couple earning less than $62k a year qualifies for a subsidized medical plan under obamacare,
but the plan is for a single person making $45k a year or less to enjoy a govt. hand out.

So if you are married and one person makes $75k a year and the other makes $15k a year (together 90) would
they not be better off divorced and the person making 15k a year enjoying the hand out?

I would wager that by making 90K a year, the couple can afford a pretty decent healthcare plan and don't need to divorce for any handout.

As it reads a married couple earning less than $62k a year qualifies for a subsidized medical plan under obamacare,
but the plan is for a single person making $45k a year or less to enjoy a govt. hand out.

So if you are married and one person makes $75k a year and the other makes $15k a year (together 90) would
they not be better off divorced and the person making 15k a year enjoying the hand out?

Not really...if one person died than the other person would have to pay taxes on everything passed to them.

they are protected as a spouse.

there's also the issue that anything one person buys another over a certain amount constitutes as a gift an is taxed as income. Hubby/wife making 62k paying your car payment? Well potentially that could cause problems in an audit.

So no....it wouldn't be better.

Can't answer your question, but I do know that some seniors, at least in this country, avoid getting married once they are receiving old age pensions or social security supplements etc. because the combined rates they are entitled to receive end up being less than the two single amounts.

$90k a year sounds like a lot, and I have a sibling and his spouse who are exactly that and the situation I noted. In fact he's a federal employee and she's a part time para legal making about $15k a year. They lose $225 a month for her enrollment on his health insurance so if he dropped her - his take home pay goes up about $150 ($75 more is taken out in taxes) monthly). Her "penalty" on $15k of income would be $150 a year so they'd save $1650 a year right now. Sadly I think some have divorced over less.

I would wager that by making 90K a year, the couple can afford a pretty decent healthcare plan and don't need to divorce for any handout.

I can see how it would benefit them financially. But you can't blame Obama or his Obmacare for them making a choice like divorcing to increase their take home pay. Now, if Obamacare forced them to stay together so they can't reap the benefits, then I would have a problem with it.

$90k a year sounds like a lot, and I have a sibling and his spouse who are exactly that and the situation I noted. In fact he's a federal employee and she's a part time para legal making about $15k a year. They lose $225 a month for her enrollment on his health insurance so if he dropped her - his take home pay goes up about $150 ($75 more is taken out in taxes) monthly). Her "penalty" on $15k of income would be $150 a year so they'd save $1650 a year right now. Sadly I think some have divorced over less.

There is no PPACA penalty at $15K, since that is below the federal poverty level.

Not only no penalty, but at $15k, she would get medicaid for nothing. Or if just over the line, HC for 4% of pay. Say $40 month.

Code words.

"gov hand out" - its the same one Exxon gets to pay its $500mil year CEO
"rising costs" - to generate fear to those that dont get that PRICES ARE CAPPED at 2% or 4-8% of pay.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation LOOK AND LEARN PEOPLE

And if your making over 400% of poverty ....................SCREW YOU.................Leave some for the rest of us to live on.

Back
Top Bottom