• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Pelosi shut down the federal government on 4 days before Christmas?

Will Pelosi shut down the federal government on 4 days before Christmas?

• Yes, unless Trump gives Democrats everything they want, nothing Republicans want

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, she wants attention on impeachment

• There is no poll choice I agree with

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The next budget extension deadline is December 20, 2019. Will Nancy Pelosi shut down the federal government (unless Trump turns all presidential decisions over to her and Democratic Obama holdover - as all the Democratic witnesses of Schiff demanded Trump should have already done)?

Dumb poll, dumb questions. Nancy Pelosi doesn't hold the power to shut down the government. Only Trump does as he did last year for a record 35 days in order to hold federal workers as hostages in exchange for his wall which he didn't get anyway.

Its almost as if being stupid is a requirement to be a republican nowadays.

Its almost as if being stupid is a requirement to be a republican nowadays.

Lowered the IQ of 35% of the country by at least 30 points.

Dumb poll, dumb questions. Nancy Pelosi doesn't hold the power to shut down the government. Only Trump does as he did last year for a record 35 days in order to hold federal workers as hostages in exchange for his wall which he didn't get anyway.

Raising the debt ceiling requires the House and Senate to pass a bill and the President to sign it. Any one of the three players can fail or refuse to comply and shut down the government.

I voted other. I don't know if the government will be shut down or who if anyone will be responsible.

I don't know or care if the government will be shut down or not.

If it is, it'll be everyone's fault (i.e. congress and Trump), just like it was last time.

Strange that you're not going to hold the democrats accountable for what they did to facilitate said shutdown. Nor them refusing to come back to the table.

Raising the debt ceiling requires the House and Senate to pass a bill and the President to sign it. Any one of the three players can fail or refuse to comply and shut down the government.

I don't really think many of the people who're so outspoken on this topic, even know how this particular facet of the government works.

The first option.

Shutdown and blame the president.

Or at least insist the president is to blame if we have a shutdown.

That's correct.

I voted other.

If the government shuts down again I think it will be because the republicans are demanding something they know the dems won't give to them and then try to blame the dems for the shutdown, just like trump demanding billions for his wall and we all see how that turned out.

Strange that you're not going to hold the democrats accountable for what they did to facilitate said shutdown. Nor them refusing to come back to the table.

Well, that's a blatant lie since their negotiations were filmed in the Oval Office for the world to see. They offered Trump 25 billion dollars over ten years for his wall in exchange for a path to citizenship for the DReamers. It would have solved the DACA problem and gave Trump what he wanted on border security. But NO! Trump rejected the 25 billion because he knew that his base, people exactly like you, would not like that he was giving a pathway to the DReamers.

So you are very, very wrong if you think the Democrats refused to come back to the table. In the end, after shutting down the government for a record 35 days and causing great harm to thousands of federal workers, he agreed to a compromise which was far less than he would have gotten if he just took their offer in the first place. He shot himself in the foot and harmed federal workers.

Trump Quote: "I will gladly shut down the government"

The first option.

Shutdown and blame the president.

Or at least insist the president is to blame if we have a shutdown.

:roll:

:elephantf:usflag2:

Why bother. Any obstruction of oversight is an offense to the dignity and authority of the House, assembled.

That's correct.

Now you agree with me? Were you being sarcastic or facetious before when you said only Trump has the power to shut down the government?

Now you agree with me? Were you being sarcastic or facetious before when you said only Trump has the power to shut down the government?

I responded to the misinformation of the poll question. As I said, "it's dumb", and you explained why the title is dumb. It's dumb because Nancy Pelosi cannot shut down the government. As you said, raising the debt ceiling takes the approve of the House, the Senate and finally Trump. Nancy Pelosi does not have sole authority to shut down the federal government. Are we clear now? Trump had the power to shut down the government because he did it last January by veto. Nancy Pelosi didn't shut it down, Trump did.

Shutting down the government can be done actively as Trump did last year. Or it can be shut down by doing nothing. if Pelosi fails or refuses to bring a debt limit increase up for a vote in the House, then the government will run out of money and shut down. In that respect, yeah. Pelosi absolutely has the power to shut down the government.

All spending bills must originate in the house so right now, at least Constitutionally speaking, the government shutdown is in Peolsi's court.

Or it might be more complicated. Pelosi may pass a debt increase that has some provisions that Trump finds objectionable and refuses to sign. Or it may fail to include something Trump demands like last time with the border wall funding. Who gets the blame in that scenario is more a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

So yes, you're are going to ignore it... thanks for clarifying that for us.

It's not like we had to deal with him calling them back to the negotiation table, and them just not listing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…