• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss[W:508:549]

Re: Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss

"linos" == Linus?

Other G on the iggy for failing the civil and reading comprehendion portions of the test (almost as badly as I do spelling, but not quite o.o). And Liberal In Name Only. Thought the term was well known enough amongst D and R that anyone with a base iq could put it together.

They will also move employees from salaried to hourly and those employees will end up losing the benefits that come with a salaried position.

Benefits are not tied to your salaried vs. wage status. We have long had anti-discrimination provisions within tax and benefit laws to prevent employers from manipulating the system. Benefits are a function of being full-time employees versus part-time employees. The fact that you are paid on an hourly vs salary basis has nothing to do with it.

"linos" == Linus?
wtf does it "ment". I feel so old, so out of touch with these kids today and their newfangled engrish.....and I was a punk rocker.

sigh...

Other G on the iggy for failing the civil and reading comprehendion portions of the test (almost as badly as I do spelling, but not quite o.o). And Liberal In Name Only. Thought the term was well known enough amongst D and R that anyone with a base iq could put it together.
word....

Welcome back onemale? Nice sock!

O.O Holy Christ, a liberal on this board that actually debated me into rethinking my postion by not leveling me with insults but facts and logic. Dear Lord I think I've found a leprachaun. All good points, I have little refute to that brillantly laid out counter point. Teach your people, they need you.

Kudos on your willingness to hear new information, and consider other viewpoints.

Kudos on your willingness to hear new information, and consider other viewpoints.

Thanks, but I give credit to the excellent debator, in Mr. T. He never insulted me, he stated he appericated my side of it, and then logically, and factually explained why I was so far from Bullseye that I should maybe rethink where I'm at. I respect a good debate. I never have had an issue "losing" a debate. Because the only losers in a debate are those that refuse to even acknowledge anything than their will to "win" the "arguement".

I was a salaried employee. My company saw this coming - not this specifically, but a general tightening of exempt rules by the Obama administration.

I lost my exempt status about a year ago. Me and the others I know that were impacted, are not fans of it and far preferred being exempt employees. Both due to the flexibility, and other benefits, it provided, and the career track is could lead to - even when applying for jobs with other companies. I am sure some will be helped, but for certain there are many that were hurt.

It's funny how the government gives a crap about wages when it is election time, and only picks and chooses what industries to go after.

Try being a over the road truck driver and see how little you get paid for the time while you are responsible for the freight.

Truck drivers are the modern day indentured servant, and they are exploited to the maximum by the trucking companies, DOT, shippers, receivers, and the Fed's.

The number to watch is total retail wages paid. Given how much of the sector that is going to close over the next years because it is not profitable to run it is not at all clear to me that this number goes up more that the rate of inflation.

retail was over-exposed before the crash
online sales are displacing in-store sales
it's buyers using alternatives that will create the loss of retail positions

amazes me how many people have so little knowledge of business operations
the business needs X number of hours of labor
only if it is presently consuming X+ hours can it have anywhere to cut labor expenses

so, if it was using the correct number of hours before, it was not paying for the overtime hours worked by salaried staff
unless the salaried positions exceed the revised standard will the employers not incur a greater labor expense under the new provisions
which is why i say this is a good deal for labor

Glen Contrarian;1065877446]So you think it's cool to take an entry-level worker making a salary - not an hourly wage, mind you, but a salary - of 30K per year, and force him to work 60 hours a week in order to keep that entry level job? Averaged out, that's less than minimum wage. THAT, sir, was the kind of worker abuse that this new rule will prevent.

Don't know any entry level people getting a straight salary and the manager title. The issue is with salaried employees that have manager responsibilities. Paying them overtime adds cost to the employer most of whom are small business people who have to pay the wages you people with nothing invested dictate. If it comes down to paying people overtime for management duties, the owner will do with less managers and people

So what will happen? Sure, the boss is going to cut the guy's hours to no more than hours per week, but since the guy was salaried to begin with, is he going to pay the worker less? No. Since the work still has to be done, what's the boss going to do? Hire somebody else to take care of those extra hours so he can avoid paying overtime.

That is exactly what happened with Obamacare legislation as businesses cut hours to less than 30 which is why we have over 6 million part time employees which is part of that "incredible" job creation the left wants to tout.

And yes, that will cost the business owner more money...but you know what? That ALSO means that because more people have to be hired, more people have money to spend...and while business owners take a short-term hit, in the long term, because more people are employed and have money, the better those businesses will do.

Or business owners can do what Wendy's is doing resort to automation to eliminate jobs

Wendy’s to install automated self-service kiosks | Fusion

Or they could create more part time jobs like they did as I explained above

And THAT is one of the single most constant errors we see from the oh-so-business-savvy Right - that if they have to pay a penny more in wages or in taxes, the business climate will go to heck in a handbasket, the economy will crumble, it'll be anarchy, dogs and cats living together...you get the idea. But they simply can't see - or won't allow themselves to see - what really happens in the long run. They're very good at playing the short-term game of we-want-power-right-now...but they really suck when it comes to issues on the long term e.g. "Southern Strategy", global warming, regime change of nations we don't like at the time, taxation, civil rights, education...you name it.

You really don't understand business do you? An owner we are talking about are small business people, not those evil corporations the left hates because those corporations don't pay minimum wage nor will they hire more people. You are going to hurt the people the left claims they want to help. The business owner is the last one paid and anything that drives up cost reduces their return on investment and when that happens you actually believe they are going to hire more people? Where do you think the owners get the money to pay for those employees? You got it, the prices they get from the consumers, prices that will definitely go up causing inflation

This may be the most hilarious post I've read on this forum.

Have you ever run a business, been responsible for a P&L or payroll?

Debt is the engine of prosperity.

LOL, debt is the engine of entitlement mentality and spending in the name of compassion without getting compassionate results. You have no understanding of business or economics at all

No, that doesn't work in a digital age. You're mistaken in that I desire to curtail inflation to the point of 0, which has been done by Clinton, Roosevelt, and others. Jackson, actually, did it too. Dems are better at it. When it comes to national economic policies, i won't lie, the democratic party is pretty good at balancing the books.

Really? How do you explain the 1.4 trillion Clinton added to the debt? Seems that Reagan was criticized for taking a recession, a bad one, and generating 1.7 trillion in debt but Clinton inheriting a growing economy created 1.4 trillion in debt and is being given credit.

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2015

Really? How do you explain the 1.4 trillion Clinton added to the debt? Seems that Reagan was criticized for taking a recession, a bad one, and generating 1.7 trillion in debt but Clinton inheriting a growing economy created 1.4 trillion in debt and is being given credit.

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2015

He also lead the nation while we experinced our first surplus since before the founding of the Fed, and largest economic expansion ever. Now, was it Clinton, or the net? It was the net. But that don't change that Clinton let the ball roll instead of pushing into a corner to die.

Yeah, examples that do nothing. Clintons boom was driven by a massive increase in private sector debt.

Prove it? How does the public pay for private sector debt? How did Clinton add 1.4 trillion in public and intergovt. holding debt with a peace dividend left him by Reagan?

That's right. We don't need to pay workers overtime. We need to work them 80 hours a week without paying for ANYTHING over 40 hours. We hate big gubmint. We need to pay our workers so low that the gubmint will give them food stamps...............

Huh? :mrgreen:

LOL, ever own your own business? this isn't about taking hourly workings and paying them overtime, it is about paying MANAGERS overtime

In 1975, when the 24K minimum was set (which would be a little over 100,000$ per year in todays money), markets didn't crash, workers weren't laid off in droves, and the world didn't end.

this isn't 1975 and the govt. still has no business telling a private business owner with his own money invested in the business what to pay their workers. what you are going to see is what we saw with Obamacare, part time employees being created and salaried employees put on an hourly wage and their hours cut so the business owner can make a profit after paying all the taxes you liberals force them to pay

Get it through your heads, guys. Retail managers (the people this rule update is going to help the MOST) are the new middle class in this country. Except, many of them still aren't really....because they have to work 60 hours or more per week just to clear 35K per year, or less in some states.

Who is going to pay the salaries of these MANAGERS? You talking about 1975 prices, are we paying 1975 prices today for a hamburger?

I like that the right-wing response to all of these types of proposals is "NO, YOU CANT TRY TO MAKE WORKING CONDITIONS BETTER!"

the issue is salaried employees working uncompensated hours in excess of 40 hours a week
to me, that says the businesses are requiring more hours than the 40 hours per week tat they are paying for at the base compensation

now those extra hours will be paid at 150 percent of the salary rate (hourly)
does the business owner pay that premium amount for the extra hours the business needs or does he instead hire someone else to pay only 100% of the salary rate

if he chose the second option, would that not then cause the employer to hire staff

now, before insisting the owner can alternatively cut hours, ask 'why was the owner working the salaried manager overtime if those extra hours were not actually needed to operate the business?' because i would be interested to know that answer

Is that what you want more hourly employees making minimum wage? You think that business owners are going to keep managers on the payroll on salary having to pay overtime on that salary or will they eliminate the position and put them on hourly wage to better manage payroll, which is the single largest expense businesses have?

As an employer of some 80 people, I can tell you this is hardly a job killer. I now need more employees to get the job done. My problem is finding employees in a 3.0% unemployment economy.

This policy affects managers not hourly employees and what the business owner is going to do is take the salaried employee and make them hourly. You are going to get more hourly employees at lower pay

He also lead the nation while we experinced our first surplus since before the founding of the Fed, and largest economic expansion ever. Now, was it Clinton, or the net? It was the net. But that don't change that Clinton let the ball roll instead of pushing into a corner to die.

Really? if there was a surplus where did the 1.4 trillion in debt come from? Keep buying what the left tells you and ignore that inter-government holding debt pushed the total debt which is what the taxpayers pay debt service on to over 1.4 trillion dollars in 8 years.

Once again the left shows how little they know about what it means to be a business owner and how policies drive up costs which lead to worker losses. It does however buy votes from the left, hopefully not enough to give us 4 more years of Obama

'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

It is not the role of government to dictate private sector compensation. Period. We need to get this guy to play more golf. He is determined to mess up everything he can during his last 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom