• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss[W:508:549]

Re: Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss

You will find that many will think the measure will increase jobs, gdp, wages and everything good.
It is a zero sum gain, the employer will cut the employee hourly rate, to compensate for the expected overtime.

Once again the left shows how little they know about what it means to be a business owner and how policies drive up costs which lead to worker losses. It does however buy votes from the left, hopefully not enough to give us 4 more years of Obama

'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

Yet another way to spend other people's money using an unfnded mandate. Isn't it wonderful to let the POTUS make our laws? ;)

It is always unreasonable to assume that a change (or distortion) keeps all other factors constant. We know that various industries will adapt, even if the exact predictions on jobs (or losses) is problematic.

Of course it will. Just like various safety regulations led to worker loss as well. We have to weigh negatives and positives. This new rule is a benefit for most.

Once again the left shows how little they know about what it means to be a business owner and how policies drive up costs which lead to worker losses. It does however buy votes from the left, hopefully not enough to give us 4 more years of Obama

This is the same argument used against OSHA, Child Labor, Employment Discrimination, FMLA, Worker's Compensation, and Federal Holidays.

If you work overtime, you should be adequately compensated. As the rule stands, if I am paid a salary of 24k/year, then I can be forced to work 60 hours a week for no additional compensation. When the rule was implemented, it was designed to limit the ability of employers to enforce these types of work requirements by labeling the individual some form of "manager" or "executive."

For **** sake, the rule has been in place for nearly 80 years. It's time to adjust the law.

It's possible that a widespread change in overtime pay rules will lead to job losses among emplers who count primarily on such workers. And policy-makers tend to pay far too little attentions to potential Unintended Consequences... so who knows what side-effects might show up.

However - we DO have some empirical data on what happens. So far it looks pretty good. So far.

And so far, on this thread, lots of opinion. And a fair bit of dogmatic ignorance. Eg. is is by NO means a 'zero sum gain <sic>' (the phrase, btw, is zero-sum game).

Someone please explain to me the rationale for refusing to adjust the monetary limit of a law set during the Great Depression to at least account for inflation?

Someone please explain to me the rationale for refusing to adjust the monetary limit of a law set during the Great Depression to at least account for inflation?

I can. First, you're exaggerating. The limit had increased since the great depression. But let's play in your court with this ball, and assume that's true. The fact is, that everytime you raise the min wage, you increase inflation due to the increase of costs, as once everyone is making a higher base, that raises the costs of everything. The true solution is to give the dollar the strongest value it can hold, so that minimum wage isn't below the poverity line. Now listen, I'm hardly high on the hog, infact, one might say we (me and mine) live below that poverty line. So I'm not against aiding those that are below that line in getting above it, but the unseen conquience, everytime, the min wage raises is so does the costs, as rich people don't like parting with pennies and will find a way to make money back. Be it by replacing the person with a machine, or finding some poor soul that has little choice but to work at a slave wage. The solution isn't in continually raising the bar, but to restore the value of the dollar. Gold standard alone won't fly in the digital age, so don't think i'm here to shill some Jeff Jarrett nonsense, but there is a truth in that america can make the dollar strong, like Clinton did (invention of common internet use, that is to say, anyone can get online as before it was just professors and colleges and military guys, ect., anyways, that helped). A strong economy makes it to where you don't have to keep making it harder on the workers and the bosses. And it is easy to achieve. First, you got to curtail inflation. One way to do that is what's being done with gas prices, so it's not like the current administration isn't trying to fix the issue. But that 16 trill in debt makes it hard for the dollar to look as strong as it did in a surplus. So yeah, america needs to build itself back up, build back up that surplus, so we use the intrest gained on the value of the dollar to pay for the programs that as a modern society are simply a must.

'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

So you think it's cool to take an entry-level worker making a salary - not an hourly wage, mind you, but a salary - of 30K per year, and force him to work 60 hours a week in order to keep that entry level job? Averaged out, that's less than minimum wage. THAT, sir, was the kind of worker abuse that this new rule will prevent.

So what will happen? Sure, the boss is going to cut the guy's hours to no more than hours per week, but since the guy was salaried to begin with, is he going to pay the worker less? No. Since the work still has to be done, what's the boss going to do? Hire somebody else to take care of those extra hours so he can avoid paying overtime.

And yes, that will cost the business owner more money...but you know what? That ALSO means that because more people have to be hired, more people have money to spend...and while business owners take a short-term hit, in the long term, because more people are employed and have money, the better those businesses will do.

And THAT is one of the single most constant errors we see from the oh-so-business-savvy Right - that if they have to pay a penny more in wages or in taxes, the business climate will go to heck in a handbasket, the economy will crumble, it'll be anarchy, dogs and cats living together...you get the idea. But they simply can't see - or won't allow themselves to see - what really happens in the long run. They're very good at playing the short-term game of we-want-power-right-now...but they really suck when it comes to issues on the long term e.g. "Southern Strategy", global warming, regime change of nations we don't like at the time, taxation, civil rights, education...you name it.

I can. First, you're exaggerating. The limit had increased since the great depression. But let's play in your court with this ball, and assume that's true. The fact is, that everytime you raise the min wage, you increase inflation due to the increase of costs, as once everyone is making a higher base, that raises the costs of everything. The true solution is to give the dollar the strongest value it can hold, so that minimum wage isn't below the poverity line. Now listen, I'm hardly high on the hog, infact, one might say we (me and mine) live below that poverty line. So I'm not against aiding those that are below that line in getting above it, but the unseen conquience, everytime, the min wage raises is so does the costs, as rich people don't like parting with pennies and will find a way to make money back. Be it by replacing the person with a machine, or finding some poor soul that has little choice but to work at a slave wage. The solution isn't in continually raising the bar, but to restore the value of the dollar. Gold standard alone won't fly in the digital age, so don't think i'm here to shill some Jeff Jarrett nonsense, but there is a truth in that america can make the dollar strong, like Clinton did (invention of common internet use, that is to say, anyone can get online as before it was just professors and colleges and military guys, ect., anyways, that helped). A strong economy makes it to where you don't have to keep making it harder on the workers and the bosses. And it is easy to achieve. First, you got to curtail inflation. One way to do that is what's being done with gas prices, so it's not like the current administration isn't trying to fix the issue. But that 16 trill in debt makes it hard for the dollar to look as strong as it did in a surplus. So yeah, america needs to build itself back up, build back up that surplus, so we use the intrest gained on the value of the dollar to pay for the programs that as a modern society are simply a must.

This may be the most hilarious post I've read on this forum.

3risbcx.jpg

This may be the most hilarious post I've read on this forum.

No reason why. No real debate. Just another liberal that does nothing but drop insults. You guys need to get laid more.

No reason why. No real debate. Just another liberal that does nothing but drop insults. You guys need to get laid more.

I'm going to respond to your post later. But I can't help but notice you don't understand inflation and the necessity of inflation, and seem to be wanting.. Deflation?

But it has, multiple times. Believing you must live in a debted society is what doesn't work. And it's proving that on the world stage daily.

Debt is the engine of prosperity.

I think it will be a wash. Those employers looking to keep a handle on labor costs will convert their salaried folks to hourly and watch it more closely. Base salaries will probably be cut to absorb some of the overtime costs and more imported (read cheaper) labor will be called in (H1B) to replace native workers. And the price of a burger or burrito will go up a quarter or so.

Same thing that ALWAYS happens when the federal government 'tweaks' the rules to increase labor costs.

I'm going to respond to your post later. But I can't help but notice you don't understand inflation and the necessity of inflation, and seem to be wanting.. Deflation?

No, that doesn't work in a digital age. You're mistaken in that I desire to curtail inflation to the point of 0, which has been done by Clinton, Roosevelt, and others. Jackson, actually, did it too. Dems are better at it. When it comes to national economic policies, i won't lie, the democratic party is pretty good at balancing the books.

No, that doesn't work in a digital age. You're mistaken in that I desire to curtail inflation to the point of 0, which has been done by Clinton, Roosevelt, and others. Jackson, actually, did it too. Dems are better at it. When it comes to national economic policies, i won't like, the democratic party is pretty good at balancing the books.

I'm actually confused. You want to get rid of inflation?

But it has, multiple times. Believing you must live in a debted society is what doesn't work. And it's proving that on the world stage daily.

Debt has been working well for countries for the past several hundred years whether you like it or not. Also we need inflation, it is part of the economic engine of a country because otherwise people have no reason to spend or invest their money.

The only people that agree with that are the IMF

And anyone who has ever gone into debt to start a business, get a house, a car... So essentially everybody, and remember, for one person to be without debt, another person is in debt. It's simply the nature of a world where the majority of money originates from commercial banks.

I'm actually confused. You want to get rid of inflation?

I want to make that percent as small as possible to maintain a strong currency so that the value of a buck is enough to pay the bills for even the most min wage worker.

Back
Top Bottom