• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Obama's thin "Red Line" become a Thick Brown Streak? [W:92]

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Obama's and America's credibility is on the line. He made it plain to the world there would be "consequences".
Watching some European news yesterday and it was interesting to see the commentators state precisely that, and one channel, to my shock, actually played the clip below.

They went further, stating... Consequences do not mean a few missiles, it does not mean UN resolutions, it does not mean deferring to other to lead. I wondered if I was watching FOX NEWS for a moment.

Will Obama be another Leftist mouthing "words, just words" a'la Felonious Bill Clinton? A weak president who emboldens our enemies, and weakens America in the eyes of the world?

Will there really be a thin Red Line, or a Thick Brown Streak?

"...if you make the mistake of using these weapons, there will be consequences..."

It will be interesting to see the plan Obama goes with. Will he bomb the equivalent of Felonious Bill Clinton's pill factory in the Sudan, or will he actually bring about serious consequences to root out Basher and stabilize the country so Islamofascists do not fill the void?

Don't have time to redo this... it should read:
zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67113819-obama-war-dummies.jpg

Obama: Who wrote that dumb crap about "serious consequences" for the telepromptor? And how do we get out of it?

Senior Staff (thought bubble): Ugh oh, he's weaker than we could have imagined!

Re: Will Obama's thin "Red Line" become a Thick Brown Streak?

Obama's and America's credibility is on the line. He made it plain to the world there would be "consequences".
Watching some European news yesterday and it was interesting to see the commentators state precisely that, and one channel, to my shock, actually played the clip below.

They went further, stating... Consequences do not mean a few missiles, it does not mean UN resolutions, it does not mean deferring to other to lead. I wondered if I was watching FOX NEWS for a moment.

Will Obama be another Leftist mouthing "words, just words" a'la Felonious Bill Clinton? A weak president who emboldens our enemies, and weakens America in the eyes of the world?

It will be interesting to see the plan Obama goes with. Will he bomb the equivalent of Felonious Bill Clinton's pill factory in the Sudan, or will he actually bring about serious consequences to root out Basher and stabilize the country so Islamofascists do not fill the void?

Obama: Who wrote that dumb crap about "serious consequences" for the telepromptor? And how do we get out of it?

LOL

I'm mindful of the last scene in Blazing Saddles where the pansy in coat and tails attacks the bad guy: "You brute! You brute! You vicious brute!"

On the serious side though, how do we prevent our tuxedo'd administration from engaging this latest "brute" and get them back to the rehersal where they belong?

zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67113819-obama-war-dummies.jpg

Although I think the president made a mistake when he issued his red line in an adlib appearance. I think he has to be real careful with Syria. Getting rid of Aasad may leade to a government much worse or it may actually improve it. One has to keep in mind that approximately 20% of the rebels are AQ or have ties to other terrorist organization. Replacing Aasad with an Islamic Republic or one with close ties to AQ or other terrorists would not be in the U.S. best interests.

Sometimes there is no right thing to do. Perhaps it might be best to just sit and watch how some of this plays out before jumping into the pool only to find out there was no water. For me, doing nothing with less talk is most likely the best thing that can be done for the present.

Although I think the president made a mistake when he issued his red line in an adlib appearance. I think he has to be real careful with Syria. Getting rid of Aasad may leade to a government much worse or it may actually improve it. One has to keep in mind that approximately 20% of the rebels are AQ or have ties to other terrorist organization. Replacing Aasad with an Islamic Republic or one with close ties to AQ or other terrorists would not be in the U.S. best interests.

Sometimes there is no right thing to do. Perhaps it might be best to just sit and watch how some of this plays out before jumping into the pool only to find out there was no water. For me, doing nothing with less talk is most likely the best thing that can be done for the present.

There was an interesting article about Russia this morning on Yahoo. They are advising the US not to take unilateral action on Syria, but to wait until the UN weighs in on this. They expect total chaos in the region otherwise. Since Russia is aligned with Iran, who is backing Assad against the rebels, who knows what may happen? I think we should sit back and wait this out. It's not our fight! :peace:

Although I think the president made a mistake when he issued his red line in an adlib appearance.
No, no, no... we are talking about THE MAN who claimed to have far superior judgment. This is the former editor of some Harvard rag. This is The Brilliant One.

This was indicative of Obama, a fool who thinks his words are enough. A fool who can't ad-lib, cannot think on his feet.

The difference between Bush43 giving Saddam "one last chance" and Obama's Thin Red Line... is Bush43 meant it.

The idiots of the world are watching and if Obama blinks, it will come with consequences. America will pay, just as we had when Felonious Bill Clinton wagged his finger time-after-time, and did nothing.

I think he has to be real careful with Syria.
He laid down a Thin Red Line. Careful... he wasn't when he made the comment. The entire world heard that speech, and I watched Euro news yesterday play the clip from 2012.

If he cowers... he harms America.
If he makes a token bombing, and abandons Syria as he had Libya, he harms America.
If he defers to other nations to do the job, he harms America.

Sometimes there is no right thing to do.
Too late for that. Obama laid all the cards on the table, just as Bush43 had. Bush knew the stakes.

There was an interesting article about Russia this morning on Yahoo. They are advising the US not to take unilateral action on Syria, but to wait until the UN weighs in on this. They expect total chaos in the region otherwise. Since Russia is aligned with Iran, who is backing Assad against the rebels, who knows what may happen? I think we should sit back and wait this out. It's not our fight! :peace:

Can no do. He cannot be seen as wavering or cowering because of his statement and because it specifically focused on WMD. Not just using them, but transporting them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians want Obama to cower. Why? It makes him look the idiot across Europe, where the badly informed masses still think highly of him (though less so). The little KGB Agent turned Tzar wants America knocked down as many notches as possible. He's not interested in our interests.

Going to the UN would be the equivalent of cowering, of wavering, or failure.

Obama drew a Red Line on a white surface. He did so. Nobody forced him. He's committed America to the task of war.

They went further, stating... Consequences do not mean a few missiles...

The news outlet made that comment?

Or this is your position?

I'm curious where this is coming from because from my perspective a TLAM attck could very easily be perceived as "serious consequences" under a great many circumstances.

Yeah, Putin wants the UN to make a decision.....that Russia can veto. And a civil war for the last couple of years in Syria isn't "chaos".

I find it funny that the party that demanded the ouster of Saddam for the gassing of the Kurds now are either mocking the President for a line or are calling for isolationism.

Really? "War"? Can you show that statement?

What are "serious consequences" if crossing the Thin Red Line of using Weapons of Mass Destruction?
UN sanctions?
Saying... "you'z be bad"?
A spanking?
Having him talk to Loc-tite yap Pelosi again?

Yeah, Putin wants the UN to make a decision.....that Russia can veto. And a civil war for the last couple of years in Syria isn't "chaos".

I find it funny that the party that demanded the ouster of Saddam for the gassing of the Kurds now are either mocking the President for a line or are calling for isolationism.

Many reason were given for going into Iraq, and after 911, the chance of terrorists getting WMD from Saddam was chief among them.
Nice try.

TILT/.

Insert quarter and try again.

What are "serious consequences" if crossing the Thin Red Line of using Weapons of Mass Destruction?
The statement was "consequences", but embellish as you must, I asked for how that gets translated to "WAR".
UN sanctions?
Saying... "you'z be bad"?
A spanking?
Having him talk to Loc-tite yap Pelosi again?
Keep outputting rhetoric, it has not established "WAR".

Many reason were given for going into Iraq, and after 911, the chance of terrorists getting WMD from Saddam was chief among them.
Nice try.

TILT/.

Insert quarter and try again.
I know that was a rhetorical argument from the RW......and after the sanctions there were no WMDs in Iraq prior to 9-11....and Iraq had nothing to do with the 9-11 attacks.

But this avoids the point, you are wanting war, apparently. Your argument is hiding behind the statements of the President.

I know that was a rhetorical argument from the RW......and after the sanctions there were no WMDs in Iraq prior to 9-11....and Iraq had nothing to do with the 9-11 attacks.

But this avoids the point, you are wanting war, apparently. Your argument is hiding behind the statements of the President.

1. Nobody knew there were no WMD prior to 911. Inspectors were tossed out by Saddam and for years. Hans Blix stated Saddan hadn't come clean and was playing games.

2. I didn't say, and have never said Iraq had anything to do with 911. It amazes me how Leftists brains short circuit when they see 911 and Saddam in the same sentence.

What is bombing another nation than an act of war. It's not an invitation for tea.

Tell me, what are "serious consequences" as stated by Obama in his red Line statement?

The news outlet made that comment?

Or this is your position?

I'm curious where this is coming from because from my perspective a TLAM attck could very easily be perceived as "serious consequences" under a great many circumstances.

To my amazement it was a pair of German commentators.

I find it funny that anyone over the age of around 15 really thinks one party is "different" or "better" than the other.

Neither one represents the best interest of america. Only a hyper partisan tool would disagree.

1. Nobody knew there were no WMD prior to 911. Inspectors were tossed out by Saddam and for years. Hans Blix stated Saddan hadn't come clean and was playing games.
Wrong, both Blix (UNMOVIC) and Ritter (UNSCOM) were satisfied that Iraq had no existing WMD programs or significant stocks.

2. I didn't say, and have never said Iraq had anything to do with 911. It amazes me how Leftists brains short circuit when they see 911 and Saddam in the same sentence.
Um, you made the inference by combining "Saddam" "9-11" "terrorists" in the same line.

PS, if you want to get into another debate about these topics...it is not going to help your argument.....what ever it is.

What is bombing another nation than an act of war. It's not an invitation for tea.
There you go, further putting words in the President's mouth. Bombing has not been discussed.....nor is that the definition of "WAR" in US law.

Tell me, what are "serious consequences" as stated by Obama in his red Line statement?
I'm still waiting for you just to get his statement correct. It was not "serious" on 8-20-2012. Besides, now you are asking me to speculate in your speculation thread. No, I'll allow you to place your foot firmly in your mouth.

I find it funny that anyone over the age of around 15 really thinks one party is "different" or "better" than the other.
Neither one represents the best interest of america. Only a hyper partisan tool would disagree.
So says the self identified "Libertarian". Irony much?

Greetings, gimmesometruth! :2wave:

If you read the article on Yahoo, Russia was not referring to chaos in the past, but the future. And what is the explanation given that America is responsible for fixing Syria's problems? They are killing each other over there, as they have been doing for a long time, over religious differences. Are you now taking a side in a religious war? :shock:

Greetings, gimmesometruth! :2wave:

If you read the article on Yahoo, Russia was not referring to chaos in the past, but the future.
And I am speaking in current terms within Syria.
And what is the explanation given that America is responsible for fixing Syria's problems?
If Russia is worried about chaos in the future, how is a continuing civil war in Syria going to not cause that? The root catalyst is Assad, a totalitarian who has/is suppressing a majority population.

They are killing each other over there, as they have been doing for a long time, over religious differences. Are you now taking a side in a religious war? :shock:
I did not know you were in favor of religious discrimination :shock:

So says the self identified "Libertarian". Irony much?

non sequitur and a weak dodge. What's the matter, did you get stung by the truth?

I listed libertarian as a philosophy, not because I'm a member of the party. Hey, I'll even go change it in my profile for you if you want.

My identity isn't defined by political party....like some people. ;)

Wrong, both Blix (UNMOVIC) and Ritter (UNSCOM) were satisfied that Iraq had no existing WMD programs or significant stocks.
Wrong... I recall this and read the transcript numerous times. He used an odd phrase to describe Saddam's games, and that turn of phrase was memorable... here it is:

UNITED NATIONS -- In a tough report that helps bolster Washington's contention that Iraq has no intention of coming clean, the U.N.'s chief weapons inspector told the Security Council on Monday that President Saddam Hussein does not appear to be serious about disarming.

In 60 days and 439 inspections, Baghdad has provided prompt access to inspection sites, Hans Blix reported, but has offered little proof that it has rid itself of chemical and biological weapons.

"It is not enough to open doors. Inspection is not a game of catch-as-catch-can," Blix said. "Iraq appears not to have come to genuine acceptance, not even today, of the disarmament that was demanded of it."

Iraq Seems Unwilling to Give Up Weapons, U.N. Inspector Says - Los Angeles Times
Check Mate.
Um, you made the inference by combining "Saddam" "9-11" "terrorists" in the same line.
Read the line, and here's to your improved reading comprehension.

PS, if you want to get into another debate about these topics...it is not going to help your argument.....what ever it is.
PS... no tips needed from you thanks. I'm doing fine on my own kicking the leftists asses as usual.

There you go, further putting words in the President's mouth. Bombing has not been discussed.....nor is that the definition of "WAR" in US law.
Obama said there would be serious consequences for using or TRANSPORTING WMD. What are serious consequences for crossing The Red Line? Early to bed? No dinner? No TV?

I'm still waiting for you just to get his statement correct. It was not "serious" on 8-20-2012. Besides, now you are asking me to speculate in your speculation thread. No, I'll allow you to place your foot firmly in your mouth.
ROTFLOL... no... he didn't say serious consequences... he said "consequences", but what are "consequences" for using WMD? Not serious?

It would have been nice if you leftists were half so serious about precision when it came to the Iraq War, how we got there, who voted to send troops, which party in the Senate begged for a second vote to send troops to war AND when it came to Sarah Palin.

non sequitur and a weak dodge. What's the matter, did you get stung by the truth?

I listed libertarian as a philosophy, not because I'm a member of the party. Hey, I'll even go change it in my profile for you if you want.

My identity isn't defined by political party....like some people. ;)
Um, the "Lean" is politics, not philosophy. This site is not "Debate Philosophy". I'm sorry if you didn't get that. You can put you lean towards Elmer Fudd, it won't change the fact that you do have a political viewpoint and your hypocritical "you believe one party has a better idea" is a hogwash argument......unless you have NEVER voted or participated in US politics. Even if you change your statement to "I was stating my philosophy", it remains a POLITICAL philosophy with the implication that YOU feel it is a superior POLITICAL philosophy.

And I am speaking in current terms within Syria.If Russia is worried about chaos in the future, how is a continuing civil war in Syria going to not cause that? The root catalyst is Assad, a totalitarian who has/is suppressing a majority population.

I did not know you were in favor of religious discrimination :shock:

You didn't answer my question. This is not about me, but you. I'm for staying entirely out of this mess. And I read that Assad has the approval of 70 percent of the population. Whether this is true or not, I neither know nor care. This is not our fight!

Wrong... I recall this and read the transcript numerous times. He used an odd phrase to describe Saddam's games, and that turn of phrase was memorable... here it is:
You think you are going to win the argument about whether Blix thought that Iraq was not in possession of WMD's prior to 03.....is dis-proven by quotes about "games"?

Sorry, you lose.....and the resultant inability of the US to find significant WMD evidence AFTER the invasion seals the argument.

Check Mate.
Dream on.

Read the line, and here's to your improved reading comprehension.
This is coming from the guy who still cannot produce the quotes from the President.

PS... no tips needed from you thanks. I'm doing fine on my own kicking the leftists asses as usual.
Talking the talk.

Obama said there would be serious consequences for using or TRANSPORTING WMD. What are serious consequences for crossing The Red Line? Early to bed? No dinner? No TV?

ROTFLOL... no... he didn't say serious consequences... he said "consequences", but what are "consequences" for using WMD? Not serious?
Still cannot produce the quote and continuing to ask me to speculate in YOUR speculation thread!
It would have been nice if you leftists were half so serious about precision when it came to the Iraq War, how we got there, who voted to send troops, which party in the Senate begged for a second vote to send troops to war AND when it came to Sarah Palin.[/B]
Wow, you have no idea how much the left media was screaming about the made up documentation produced in the lead up to Iraq? Has it not been shown enough times that Powell was duped in his UN speech info? What, the left press was ignoring Wilson, Downing Street docs?

You bring up Blix.....and yet he was correct on Saddam's LACK of WMD's....and you think you are winning this argument?

And you still haven't even stated a position on what you think is the correct action in Syria.

Good grief.

Back
Top Bottom