• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

• Total voters
No the port authority is dictating the size of the building. From my link

Trouble emerged after St. Nicholas announced its plans to build a traditional Greek Orthodox church building, 24,000 square feet in size, topped with a grand dome. Port Authority officials told the church to cut back the size of the building and the height of the proposed dome, limiting it to rising no higher than the World Trade Center memorial. The deal fell apart for goodin March 2009, when the Port Authority abruptly ended the talks after refusing to allow church officials to review plans for the garage and screening area underneath. Sixteen months later, the two sides have still not met to resume negotiations.

St. Nicholas Church’s difficulty in getting approvals to rebuild stands in stark contrast to the treatment that the developers of the proposed Cordoba mosque have received. New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, state Atty. Gen. Andrew Cuomo, and a raft of city officials have all come out publicly in favor of building the mosque, and the city’s Landmarks and Preservation Commission recently voted unanimously to deny protection to the building currently occupying the site where the mosque is to be built.

Real news article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/nyregion/19church.html?_r=1

The authority now says that St. Nicholas is free to rebuild the church on its own parcel at 155 Cedar Street, just east of West Street. The authority will, in turn, use eminent domain to get control of the land beneath that parcel so it can move ahead with building foundation walls and a bomb-screening center for trucks, buses and cars entering the area.

“We made an extraordinarily generous offer to resolve this issue and spent eight months trying to finalize that offer, and the church wanted even more on top of that,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority. “They have now given us no choice but to move on to ensure the site is not delayed. The church continues to have the right to rebuild at their original site, and we will pay fair market value for the underground space beneath that building.”

Yet you link says the same as mine.

Last July, the Port Authority and the Greek Orthodox Church announced a tentative plan to rebuild the church just east of its original site, at Liberty and Greenwich Streets. The authority agreed to provide the church with land for a 24,000-square-foot house of worship, far larger than the original, and $20 million. Since the church would be built in a park over the bomb-screening center, the authority also agreed to pay up to $40 million for a blast-proof platform and foundation.

In recent negotiations, the authority cut the size of the church slightly and told church officials that its dome could not rise higher than the trade center memorial. The church, in turn, wanted the right to review plans for both the garage with the bomb-screening center and the park, something the authority was unwilling to provide. More important, authority officials said, the church wanted the $20 million up front, rather than in stages. Officials said they feared that the church, which has raised about $2 million for its new building, would come back to the authority for more.

The thing is, as the portion I quoted made clear, is that the problem is not that it is a church, it's that they where greedy.

The thing is, as the portion I quoted made clear, is that the problem is not that it is a church, it's that they where greedy.

The port authority offered the land now they want to dictate what can be built.

Because in Port Authority's opinion the Church wanted too much. It had nothing to do with the fact it was a church.

The port authority was also picking up a portion of the bill. The church wanted too much from them.

The port authority was also picking up a portion of the bill. The church wanted too much from them.

No the problem is the port wants to dictate the size and height of the building. Also the port refused to show the plans for the explosive proof garage for the church to review.

Last edited:
No the problem is the port wants to dictate the size and height of the building. Also the port refused to show the plans for the explosive proof garage for the church to review.

Let me requote from the article:

We made an extraordinarily generous offer to resolve this issue and spent eight months trying to finalize that offer, and the church wanted even more on top of that,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority. “They have now given us no choice but to move on to ensure the site is not delayed. The church continues to have the right to rebuild at their original site, and we will pay fair market value for the underground space beneath that building.”

What does it matter? Why not the president defending a church that actually has a right to be there. Maybe because they are Christian they do not count.

Because if it had nothing to do with the fact that it's a church and was for some unrelated bureaucratic reason, then it's completely irrelevant to this mosque. You know damn well that you aren't mad because the mosque is violating some zoning ordinance.

Because if it had nothing to do with the fact that it's a church and was for some unrelated bureaucratic reason, then it's completely irrelevant to this mosque. You know damn well that you aren't mad because the mosque is violating some zoning ordinance.

Yet no one talks about the Christians I guess they don't matter

I really don't think it will have any affect all, however if it does so be it. A president should take a stance that he thinks is correct and Constitutional. I really don't believe President Obama stance on this is any different than President Bush's stance would be.

Wait. A president following and upholding the CONSTITUTION. Where did you get such a silly idea! The president actually pushing what the Constitution states is the law? What a crackpot idea! :peace

No the port authority is dictating the size of the building. From my link

Trouble emerged after St. Nicholas announced its plans to build a traditional Greek Orthodox church building, 24,000 square feet in size, topped with a grand dome. Port Authority officials told the church to cut back the size of the building and the height of the proposed dome, limiting it to rising no higher than the World Trade Center memorial. The deal fell apart for goodin March 2009, when the Port Authority abruptly ended the talks after refusing to allow church officials to review plans for the garage and screening area underneath. Sixteen months later, the two sides have still not met to resume negotiations.

St. Nicholas Church’s difficulty in getting approvals to rebuild stands in stark contrast to the treatment that the developers of the proposed Cordoba mosque have received. New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, state Atty. Gen. Andrew Cuomo, and a raft of city officials have all come out publicly in favor of building the mosque, and the city’s Landmarks and Preservation Commission recently voted unanimously to deny protection to the building currently occupying the site where the mosque is to be built.

Let me see if I have this straight.

The St. Nicholas Church is limited to a dome that is no higher than The WTC Memorial, which the best I can find looks to be 2 stories tall, yet the proposed Mosque is 13 stories tall and has permission to be built?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me see if I have this straight.

The St. Nicholas Church is limited to a dome that is no higher than The WTC Memorial, which the best I can find looks to be 2 stories tall, yet the proposed Mosque is 13 stories tall and has permission to be built?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably has to do with the fact that the existing building they bought for the mosque is 13 stories tall.

Probably has to do with the fact that the existing building they bought for the mosque is 13 stories tall.

Has nothing to do with it if they are going to tear down the existing building and build something new...... the new construction would have to conform to the building codes for new construction as I assume the Orthodox Church has to.

Has nothing to do with it if they are going to tear down the existing building and build something new...... the new construction would have to conform to the building codes for new construction as I assume the Orthodox Church has to.

The buildings are in different places too, let's not forget.

And, the buildings next to the 13 story building they want to use for a mosque are also 13 stories tall. Would actually look more ridiculous if they built a 2 story building in between the two of them.

The buildings are in different places too, let's not forget.

And, the buildings next to the 13 story building they want to use for a mosque are also 13 stories tall. Would actually look more ridiculous if they built a 2 story building in between the two of them.

There is no way we can check the zoning of each building site, but it is probably safe to say that they are the same. By using your logic that the surrounding buildings are 13 stories (or more) tall then it's OK for the Mosque to be that tall, that same logic should dictate that the Orthodox Church should be allowed to be any height they want as the surrounding buildings are Skyscrapers.

Yet they were told they couldn't build their church to be taller than the WTC memorial...... something here doesn't compute unless "religious tolerance" is rearing it's ugly head.

There is no way we can check the zoning of each building site, but it is probably safe to say that they are the same. By using your logic that the surrounding buildings are 13 stories (or more) tall then it's OK for the Mosque to be that tall, that same logic should dictate that the Orthodox Church should be allowed to be any height they want as the surrounding buildings are Skyscrapers.

Yet they were told they couldn't build their church to be taller than the WTC memorial...... something here doesn't compute unless "religious tolerance" is rearing it's ugly head.

If they are building the church where it initially was, it makes perfect sense. I don't know if that's the case however as far as the location of the new church.

If they are building the church where it initially was, it makes perfect sense. I don't know if that's the case however as far as the location of the new church.

As far as I can determine it is in the same location. I think the whole thing about the different height requirements is based on “religious tolerance”, and that stinks.

As far as I can determine it is in the same location. I think the whole thing about the different height requirements is based on “religious tolerance”, and that stinks.

Did you see where it initially was? There was no building near it really EXCEPT for the WTC ( and now the memorial). I mean, the WTC practically fell on it.

They were having issues with their approval long before this whole mosque bull**** reared its head.

nicks1-741280.jpg

StNicholasChurchSilhouette.png

Last edited:
Did you see where it initially was? There was no building near it really EXCEPT for the WTC ( and now the memorial). I mean, the WTC practically fell on it.

They were having issues with their approval long before this whole mosque bull**** reared its head.

nicks1-741280.jpg

StNicholasChurchSilhouette.png

I guess I can rest my case.... all of the buildings around where the Church was were skyscrapers.... taller than anything they want to build to replace the old church, so zoning can’t be the reason they can’t build what they want now.

I guess I can rest my case.... all of the buildings around where the Church was were skyscrapers.... taller than anything they want to build to replace the old church, so zoning can’t be the reason they can’t build what they want now.

they're not side by side with the church. The church would be right the **** in front of the memorial. It only stands to reason that it would need to be no taller than the memorial. Considering where it is, I don't think there's another building closer to the memorial than where the church is proposed to be (if it is proposed to be where it originally was). That's a huge difference from 2 blocks away like the mosque is. I think you're just being a bit biased here.

If that church thought they were being discriminated against because of their religion, they'd have the best damn lawsuit ever. Lawyers would be jumping all over wanting to have them as clients.

Instead, no one from the church thinks that. It's only the crazies on the internet throwing up another silly conspiracy theory that gullible people are buying.

It is not they are being given land to make it bigger

Back
Top Bottom