• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

• Total voters

Rightwingnutjob

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Answer the poll and explain below; what do you think?

Last edited:
Answer the poll and explain below; what do you think?

Voters won't care about (or even remember) the mosque controversy in November. For that matter, hardly anyone cares about it NOW. It's simply not an important issue to anyone except political pundits.

Democratic political prospects in November will be determined by the state of the economy in November, and how much voters hold them responsible for that. Period.

Voters won't care about (or even remember) the mosque controversy in November. For that matter, hardly anyone cares about it NOW. It's simply not an important issue to anyone except political pundits.

Democratic political prospects in November will be determined by the state of the economy in November, and how much voters hold them responsible for that. Period.

I was thinking along those lines. Those who don't follow politics closely have a very short memory regarding such things.

Seems highly unlikely. The economy will be the overriding issue in November.

Seems highly unlikely. The economy will be the overriding issue in November.

Which looks as though it will still hurt the left. The economy is ****, at least here in Maine--and from what I hear we aren't alone.

Its yet one more act to show the Messiah's insensitivity to the feelings of real Americans. He's not a real American, so it's not surprising he doesn't understand us. He didn't watch the fourth of July fireworks when he was four, his father never took him to a baseball game when his six, the people who raised him almost universally hated the United States. What's to wonder about here?

So what if he takes a position pleasing to the muslim imams he was influenced by in his youth? Right?

But for everything he screws up, and that means everything he does, he alienates more voters. He's been so effective at alienating voters he's now cutting into his support from the Dumocrats themselves. He's setting the stage for a Hillary prmary victory in 2012.

Because the right really doesn't care about the Constitution, obviously, no matter how much they complain about it.

Nah, this won't hurt the democrats. The kind of people who want to discriminate against Muslims vote Republican anyway, along with all the people who hate immigrants and gays and atheists and apparently a huge percentage of the American population.

Real Americans love the Constitution and everything it stands for.

I said NO. I didn't see his original comments on it. But I did him him follow up later. He said he questioned the wisdom of it but they had a right to build it by law. That doesn't sound like support to me. It's the same way I feel about it.
Let me be clear.....I did not hear his original commnets so he very well could have come out in support of it then. If so, it could hurt his poll numbers and possibly the dems a teeny bit in Nov.

I said NO. I didn't see his original comments on it. But I did him him follow up later. He said he questioned the wisdom of it but they had a right to build it by law. That doesn't sound like support to me. It's the same way I feel about it.
Let me be clear.....I did not hear his original commnets so he very well could have come out in support of it then. If so, it could hurt his poll numbers and possibly the dems a teeny bit in Nov.

There are many reasonable conservatives who agree with that position. Even some on Fox are agreeing with Obama.

There are many reasonable conservatives who agree with that position. Even some on Fox are agreeing with Obama.

I'm sure most reasonable people who believe in the constitution feel the same way as Obama. The constitution gives them the right to practice their faith where ever they wish... and as much of a bad idea I think it is for them to build a mosque in that location, I support their right to do so. Many might not like their plan to build there... but the constitution grants people the rights to do some things other people might not like. We cannot (and should not be able to) ignore the constitution just because someone's feelings will be hurt. To do so would pave the way for future degradation of other people's rights.

Last edited:
What is with your constant stereotyping. There are some on the right who feel very passionately about the constitution just as there are some on the left. There are many on both sides that don't care or even think about the constitution. Keep your stereotypes to yourself. You think all people who are against muslims are republican? Same with atheists and gays? That's just ignorant and naive.

The only thing you said that was right was your last sentence. I agree whol heartedly there.

Catz, what exactly did you see that was useful there? Aren't mods supposed to be reasonable?

Because the right really doesn't care about the Constitution, obviously, no matter how much they complain about it.

Nah, this won't hurt the democrats. The kind of people who want to discriminate against Muslims vote Republican anyway, along with all the people who hate immigrants and gays and atheists and apparently a huge percentage of the American population.

Real Americans love the Constitution and everything it stands for.

For the west and southwest, illegal immigration will be a bigger issue...

It must already be hurting him since he is already back pedaling.

Mosque flap swirls around Obama - James Hohmann and Maggie Haberman and Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

But on Saturday, Obama seemed to contradict himself, telling reporters at one point, “I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there. I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding. That's what our country is about. And I think it's very important as difficult as some of these issues are that we stay focused on who we are as a people and what our values are all about."

That impromptu answer to a TV reporter covering his trip to Florida prompted a second attempt to clarify his initial statement, this time from spokesman Bill Burton.

“Just to be clear, the president is not backing off in any way from the comments he made last night,” Burton said. “It is not his role as president to pass judgment on every local project. But it is his responsibility to stand up for the Constitutional principle of religious freedom and equal treatment for all Americans. What he said last night, and reaffirmed today, is that if a church, a synagogue or a Hindu temple can be built on a site, you simply cannot deny that right to those who want to build a mosque.”

White House officials later said that Obama was simply saying that since there was no local ordinance that would prevent construction of the mosque, he believed local officials made the right decision to allow it to go forward.

Why would it? I think most people in this Country recognize and respect religious freedom. I think most people also understand that this mosque isn't even at the ground zero site. The only ones feigning their outrage are the right-wing nutjobs who would oppose this center even if it were 10 miles away from ground zero.

Why would it? I think most people in this Country recognize and respect religious freedom. I think most people also understand that this mosque isn't even at the ground zero site. The only ones feigning their outrage are the right-wing nutjobs who would oppose this center even if it were 10 miles away from ground zero.

Thank you for indulging in the same kind of bigoted stereotyping and over generalization that you're attempting to suggest the other side is doing.

I think it'll be a minor thing at most come November. Obama's not on the ballot, this won't be as large of a story at that point, and there's much larger issues at play.

Thank you for indulging in the same kind of bigoted stereotyping and over generalization that you're attempting to suggest the other side is doing.

I think it'll be a minor thing at most come November. Obama's not on the ballot, this won't be as large of a story at that point, and there's much larger issues at play.

Yet Obama is clarifying and putting it on local authorities. This shows Obama is concerned about the backlash and once again making sure he is not blamed for what he says.

Yet Obama is clarifying and putting it on local authorities. This shows Obama is concerned about the backlash and once again making sure he is not blamed for what he says.

What are you talking about?

Of course he's putting it on Local Authorities, its THEIR decision, not his...

Hope you understand that.

Or it could be that people where, once again, twisting his words, so he made it absolutely clear what he was saying.

What are you talking about?

Of course he's putting it on Local Authorities, its THEIR decision, not his...

Hope you understand that.

He is backpedaling he is concerned what people will think of what he said. He should say yes they have freedom but the appearance of doing it where 3000 were killed by extremeists is a bad idea

He is backpedaling he is concerned what people will think of what he said. He should say yes they have freedom but the appearance of doing it where 3000 were killed by extremeists is a bad idea

He says "the mosque has a legal right to be there". He then clarifies "I was only talking about the legal right". Now how exactly is that backpedaling?

Or it could be that people where, once again, twisting his words, so he made it absolutely clear what he was saying.

No twisting he was defending Muslims not religion. Defending building ate that sight is wrong. Rights are always limited by the government.

No twisting he was defending Muslims not religion. Defending building ate that sight is wrong. Rights are always limited by the government.

Say huh what? You are ok with the government telling people where they can worship?

What is with your constant stereotyping. There are some on the right who feel very passionately about the constitution just as there are some on the left. There are many on both sides that don't care or even think about the constitution. Keep your stereotypes to yourself. You think all people who are against muslims are republican? Same with atheists and gays? That's just ignorant and naive.

The only thing you said that was right was your last sentence. I agree whol heartedly there.

Catz, what exactly did you see that was useful there? Aren't mods supposed to be reasonable?

I was going overboard in reaction to Scarecrow whose views are about as anti-American as can be, in my opinion.

I still hold that people who are anti-Muslim and anti-gay and anti-immigrant and anti-atheist aren't going to vote for democrats anyway.

Sorry Zyph, you might consider it "bigoted stereotyping" but the reality is.....most Americans still believe that religious freedom applies to all in this country. The people that are feigning outrage over this are the minority who have forgotten that.

Its yet one more act to show the Messiah's insensitivity to the feelings of real Americans. He's not a real American, so it's not surprising he doesn't understand us. He didn't watch the fourth of July fireworks when he was four, his father never took him to a baseball game when his six, the people who raised him almost universally hated the United States. What's to wonder about here?

So what if he takes a position pleasing to the muslim imams he was influenced by in his youth? Right?

But for everything he screws up, and that means everything he does, he alienates more voters. He's been so effective at alienating voters he's now cutting into his support from the Dumocrats themselves. He's setting the stage for a Hillary prmary victory in 2012.
An expected response from an extreme-conservative.
Independent? My foot!
If the tea-baggers make a big deal of of this, it will backfire....We are NOT a nation of bigots and racists. True, the percentage is higher than it should be.....

Back
Top Bottom