• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will ObamaCare reduce healthcare costs and insurance premiums?

Will ObamaCare reduce healthcare costs and insurance preminums?

• Yes, ObamaCare will reduce healthcare costs and insurance premiums

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • No, ObamaCare will increase healthcare costs and insurance premiums

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • IDK/other

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
President Obama and Democratic leadership promised ObamaCare/The Affordable Healthcare Act will reduce national healthcare costs and reduce insurance premiums.

Was that a truthful promise?

President Obama and Democratic leadership promised ObamaCare/The Affordable Healthcare Act will reduce national healthcare costs and reduce insurance premiums.

What exactly did they say? How about some actual quotes instead of vague generalities based on your faulty understanding.

No not for me. My insurance premiums have doubled. My co-pay has doubled +. My prescription drug coverage is next to worthless. My spouse takes a medication that costs 1700.00 every three months without insurance. Before Obamacare our cost was 300+ and today he just got his prescription filled for three months and it cost 570.00. Between the added increase in premiums and prescription drugs, it is costing us dearly. All this extra money to provide for our healthcare is money we can not spend to help regenerate the economy. We have to cut back on spending. I would like to hire someone to redo my kitchen. I was hoping to go on a cruise at the end of October but it's now no longer in the budget. I need a couple of garage doors replaced, but that too is on hold because healthcare is eating up the extras.

You see we still pay our own way. Neither one of us has ever taken a dime from the federal government. Not even in unemployment. But have to tell ya, we are truly getting F'ed. We have spent our entire lives being fiscally responsible, living within our means....doing things the right way only to find ourselves being raped by those who do not.

If it was called the "Affordable Deductible Act" it might almost make sense. That is the only thing that will be decreasing for my family next year.

Unfortunately though... high-deductible plans make by far the most sense for me and my family. We are young, we are healthy, and being middle class, right around 400% of the federal poverty level, we are getting absolutely gutted by this law. Our premiums are DOUBLING in a single year and we won't qualify for any significant subsidy if we qualify at all, and statistically speaking we are very unlikely to need or use much health care or any of the special "new benefits" declared mandatory by the law.

It's a GD atrocity for middle class families.

If it was called the "Affordable Deductible Act" it might almost make sense. That is the only thing that will be decreasing for my family next year.

Unfortunately though... high-deductible plans make by far the most sense for me and my family. We are young, we are healthy, and being middle class, right around 400% of the federal poverty level, we are getting absolutely gutted by this law. Our premiums are DOUBLING in a single year and we won't qualify for any significant subsidy if we qualify at all, and statistically speaking we are very unlikely to need or use much health care or any of the special "new benefits" declared mandatory by the law.

It's a GD atrocity for middle class families.

it was meant to be that way. it is basically a tax leveled on the healthy young middle class individuals and families to pay for yet again another hand out. they are just using the insurance companies as the middle man to levy that tax

Yes, it should. If everybody in America has health insurance and competition for customers increases, prices should drop. However, the initial adjustments especially if some people putt off getting insurance right away and hospitals not factoring in a decrease if not elimination of people showing up with no insurance and continuing to pass those costs onto the insured ultimately seen in the costs of premiums, might temporarily make premiums go up slightly.

I also expect the cost of treatment to drop as the insured will no longer be required to subsidize the healthcare of people who show up at the ER uninsured. This on top of people no longer putting off routine physicals that could easily catch problems in the early stages when they're less expensive to treat.

Last edited:
Common sense tells you it is impossible for rates to go down.

If an insured has paid hundreds and his health care costs are hundreds of thousands, somebody has to make that up and forcing insurance companies to take already sick people will do just that.

How could anybody think the rates would go down?

Will ObamaCare reduce healthcare costs and insurance premiums?

when it fails and leads to Medicare for all, yes. until then, no.

Well isn't this interesting. Here is what Obama said:

It will provide more security and stability to those who have health insurance. It will provide insurance to those who don’t. And it will slow the growth of health care costs for our families, our businesses, and our government.

Odd how that is not what Joko claimed was said....

Thanks for the link Humbolt.

You're welcome. He said a lot of things. Don't thank me too much.

My premiums from BC/BS just doubled from last year, minus two dollars, so in my case, the answer is No! It's too early to tell if that is going to be chronic! :thumbdown:

Greetings, joko104. :2wave:

You're welcome. He said a lot of things. Don't thank me too much.

Oh, I understand that. But in reference to the topic of the thread, what he said, and what was claimed he said are two different things.

Common sense tells you it is impossible for rates to go down.

If an insured has paid hundreds and his health care costs are hundreds of thousands, somebody has to make that up and forcing insurance companies to take already sick people will do just that.

How could anybody think the rates would go down?

Because it's insurance...the larger the pool the less the costs.

Because it's insurance...the larger the pool the less the costs.

Eventually the insurance company will have to pay out on everybody unless they die young.

It doesn't take a lot of people using hundreds of thousands of dollars of care when they didn't pay in hardly anything at all to créate a huge problem.

Eventually the insurance company will have to pay out on everybody unless they die young.
They already do...the current system is that everybody forgoes insurance when they are young and healthy and get it when they get old and will need it more often. Either they get private or just save up that high blood pressure/high cholesterol etc until it's time to get on Medicare.

It doesn't take a lot of people using hundreds of thousands of dollars of care when they didn't pay in hardly anything at all to créate a huge problem.

That's the point of the mandate...everybody does pay in. Basically everybody will be paying insurance from the age of 26 until they get on Medicare unless the are on Medicaid. Some need subsidies due to their income but ultimately everybody is paying in. No more free riders that only get it when they get married and are starting a family or start getting old.

According to Bill Clinton, the Affordable Care Act has already reduced the increase of health care ins. premiums and costs. I believe that's what the initial claim was. Not that costs would decrease from those old levels from years ago. But that they would decrease from the levels they're headed to. Which the ACA has done, is doing, it seems.

I believe that is the panic that is driving the Tea Party politicians. They see that there is a chance the ACA will be very successful in the long run.

The ACA has been in effect since 2010, with new provisions coming into play each year. So far, so good. Millions of previously uninsured people now have health care. Costs are increasing at low levels not seen for decades.

People keep saying the sky is falling. But I've been looking up and don't see it. Everything seems to be going fine. Not that there haven't been snaffus, and not that there won't be in the future. Of course there will be. But it's looking good. If you want it to work, it will. It can be tweaked in the future to fix some points. Most laws are. If you WANT it to work, that is.

No not for me. My insurance premiums have doubled.
Uh... Almost none of the ACA has actually started yet. Nothing about Obamacare would have affected your current copays or prescription coverage.

More to the point, insurance premiums have been rising steadily for years:

2insure12web.jpg

Plus, as of January 1st, you may qualify for better plans at a lower price, once the tax credits kick in. Not only that, but if your spouse has a condition that requires expensive medication all the time, he'd never get any coverage on the independent market. No insurer would have covered him with a pre-existing condition like that. ACA stops that kind of redlining.

My spouse takes a medication that costs 1700.00 every three months without insurance. Before Obamacare our cost was 300+ and today he just got his prescription filled for three months and it cost 570.00.
Yeah, that does suck, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with Obamacare.

That's the point of the mandate...everybody does pay in. Basically everybody will be paying insurance from the age of 26 until they get on Medicare unless the are on Medicaid. Some need subsidies due to their income but ultimately everybody is paying in. No more free riders that only get it when they get married and are starting a family or start getting old.

That's the contradiction within the law though. Only a few people will be paying in who were able to but didn't before. Not nearly enough to cover the millions of new free-riders created by the subsidies and Medicaid expansion.

Oh, I understand that. But in reference to the topic of the thread, what he said, and what was claimed he said are two different things.

Yes what he said and what is reality is two different things. You got that right.

From his speech on the last page - you stopped at page 1.

"Here’s what you need to know. First, I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits – either now or in the future. Period. And to prove that I’m serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don’t materialize. Part of the reason I faced a trillion dollar deficit when I walked in the door of the White House is because too many initiatives over the last decade were not paid for – from the Iraq War to tax breaks for the wealthy. I will not make that same mistake with health care."

" The plan will not add to our deficit. The middle-class will realize greater security, not higher taxes. And if we are able to slow the growth of health care costs by just one-tenth of one percent each year, it will actually reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term."

S0... where is the first reduction in the deficit he promised?

Should I go to the part of promising everyone will have coverage and no pre-existing conditions would disqualify - and then link to how after 133,000 applications the Obama Administration shut all that down?

My premiums from BC/BS just doubled from last year, minus two dollars, so in my case, the answer is No! It's too early to tell if that is going to be chronic! :thumbdown:

Greetings, joko104. :2wave:

So far, not one member has claimed their insurance premiums remained the same or went down. I can't find the part of the speech where he explained insurance premiums will increase from 30 to 100%.

Why is it called the Affordable Healthcare Act? It should be called the "Really Expensive Healthcare Act."

Uh... Almost none of the ACA has actually started yet. Nothing about Obamacare would have affected your current copays or prescription coverage.

More to the point, insurance premiums have been rising steadily for years:

2insure12web.jpg

Plus, as of January 1st, you may qualify for better plans at a lower price, once the tax credits kick in. Not only that, but if your spouse has a condition that requires expensive medication all the time, he'd never get any coverage on the independent market. No insurer would have covered him with a pre-existing condition like that. ACA stops that kind of redlining.

Yeah, that does suck, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with Obamacare.

Oh it does have everything to do with O care. Tonight my computer shut down on me. It's got issues and I am posting from my phone which makes it hard to respond properly. I look forward to responding to your post tomorrow......cheers

No not for me. My insurance premiums have doubled. My co-pay has doubled +. My prescription drug coverage is next to worthless. My spouse takes a medication that costs 1700.00 every three months without insurance. Before Obamacare our cost was 300+ and today he just got his prescription filled for three months and it cost 570.00. Between the added increase in premiums and prescription drugs, it is costing us dearly.
The AHA does not roll out in full force until January 1st 2014. What you are experiencing is the last money gouging gasp of the end of the old system.
You should be demanding change not trying to cling to the old rip off system.
You soon will learn how much the republicons have been lying to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom