• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Obama be a one-term President?

Will Obama be a one-term President?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Simple prediction. Whaddyasay?

People said that Clinton would be a one term President and look how that turned out.

People thought there was no chance in hell that GWB would be given a second term and look how that turned out.

Honestly...unless some unknown rises from the ranks of the GOP there isn't a front runner right now that would beat Obama....even as bad as things are right now and that assumes that things don't improve.

No way of knowing at this point. Two years is a long time.

one and done.

(unless of course the GOP comes up with a complete lame ass as their candidate)

That's a guarantee. Let's see them show up with their reality star. Obama will have a field day just ripping into Palin's hypocritical rants about the 'lamestream media' she earns a paycheck from.

I say he'll get re-elected. I believe that is what has happened before when a President's party loses big in midterm elections.

Purrrrrrrs

If Obama manages to win a second term, someone will probably kill him.

People said that Clinton would be a one term President and look how that turned out.

Clinton won thanks to Ross Perot making a name for himself as actually being serious about fiscal issues.

Not if I have any say in the matter.... ;)

But more seriously, it depends on various factors that (for myself, at least) are quite unpredictiable at this time.

What kinds of candidate(s) show up in the GOP and third parties (although 3rd parties are far less likely to present a viable candidate - at least one with any chance of winning).

What kind of changes occur in the economic, political, diplomatic, etc, etc, etc. areas.

So many variables…

It's too early to tell, but Obama is going to be hard to beat.

It depends on a lot of things. Who did the Republicans nominate, what is the state of the country, etc...

It's too early to tell, but Obama is going to be hard to beat.
That really depends on who the GOP nominates - if they go for a McCain, then perhaps.

If they go for someone who is fiscally conservative....

But then, it depends on what kind of campaigns the respective candidates mount...

Like I said, sooooooo many variables...

If Obama manages to win a second term, someone will probably kill him.

Clinton won thanks to Ross Perot making a name for himself as actually being serious about fiscal issues.
Perot was only an issue in the first Clinton term...like Nader was with GWB. Neither was much of an issue in the re-elections.

Gandalf 2012!!!!!!
Excellent idea.

Edit: But which party, Democrat, republican, or a third party, will he run under?

Or completely independent?

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
It depends on whether the Tea Party fervor is still around in 2 years, whether the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is over, and the degree to which the economy has recovered. If the wars and economy have recovered, then Obama will get the credit. With the Senate still under Democrat control, he is still in the pilot seat. He has lost his ability to push his own agenda, but the Republicans can't push their agenda without his support.

I think health care reform is going to continue to be the big issue. 2012 may be geared completely around whether or not to repeal it.

So many variables between now and then it's impossible to say. He looks vulnerable right now, but who can say if that will be the case in 2012? A lot can change in two years. How Obama and the Republican House interact with each other for the next two years could have an impact. As will the Republicans' choice of candidate. And the state of the economy. And the wars. Predicting the outcome of 2012 right now is nothing more than a shot in the dark.

People thought there was no chance in hell that GWB would be given a second term and look how that turned out.

Honestly...unless some unknown rises from the ranks of the GOP there isn't a front runner right now that would beat Obama....even as bad as things are right now and that assumes that things don't improve.

This is very well put and honestly I could not agree more.

Simple prediction. Whaddyasay?

As long as the media is trying to up prop Sarah Palin for 2012 then the answer will be "No, he'll be elected for a second term."

There is a long time until the 2012 elections. We usually don't know a week before the vote who is going to win. So to try and guess now seems a bit silly. What will the unemployment be in 2012, inflation rate, taxes, deficit - we have no idea.

As long as the media is trying to up prop Sarah Palin for 2012 then the answer will be "No, he'll be elected for a second term."

Its not the media that is trying to prop Palin up....its the people in the Republican party that WANT Sarah Palin. The political powers in the GOP are trying to drag her down because she isn't "Their" candidate. I hope that the people in the Republican party win out because Palin is the best candidate out there for the GOP and she ABSOLUTELY should get the nomination.

It depends. Does he dig his heels in and attempt to continue to push his ideology or does he pull a Clinton, relent, and focus on whatever policies he can realistically work with Republicans on.

If he does the former, I think there's a good shot he's a one term. If he does the latter there's a good shot he's a two term. Other factors play in...how much the economy recovers and how much it can be spun for Obama rather than the congress, who the Republicans run, how much fervor is still going with the tea party, etc...but I think the above is going to be a big one.

Back
Top Bottom