• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will my older computer likely handle a Zoom meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
AMD E-300 dual-core processor, 2GB DDR3 RAM, and I did an internet test that said 43 Mbps download and 46 Mbps upload rates.

I think it's just going to be a phone conference, but they might do live video. I'm just listening- no microphone or camera.

Or I could go to the public library and use their computer.

Yes, but it's going to look like a black and white film with random loud noises instead of speech.

Yes, but it's going to look like a black and white film with random loud noises instead of speech.

That sounds like it'll work really well.

AMD E-300 dual-core processor, 2GB DDR3 RAM, and I did an internet test that said 43 Mbps download and 46 Mbps upload rates.

I think it's just going to be a phone conference, but they might do live video. I'm just listening- no microphone or camera.

Uhh...is zoom even compatible with your computer? A $60 Cromebook has better specs.

What kind of phone do you have?

How does it even handle getting on the internet with any kind of security?
It sounds like this might be an XP machine...is it?

A $10 Cricket Icon 2!

It is more than ten bucks, it's subsidized by your Cricket payments.
Why not try to see if your Icon 2 can handle a Zoom install because if the Google Play Store says it can be installed, it thinks your phone and OS meet the minimum requirements.
If not, then you know for sure.
Then the only hurdle is if your data plan is metered for low max data use. If it is, the library is the other option because I doubt an old XP box can even download Zoom software.

It is more than ten bucks, it's subsidized by your Cricket payments.
Why not try to see if your Icon 2 can handle a Zoom install because if the Google Play Store says it can be installed, it thinks your phone and OS meet the minimum requirements.
If not, then you know for sure.
Then the only hurdle is if your data plan is metered for low max data use. If it is, the library is the other option because I doubt an old XP box can even download Zoom software.

It's a fairly important meeting, so I think I'll just go to the library.

I would just do your zoom meeting from your toaster instead. It will do exactly the same job....and of course there is the upside of having delicious hot buttered toast.

Uhh...is zoom even compatible with your computer? A $60 Cromebook has better specs.
For sixty bucks he could pick up a better computer at a neighborhood yard sale, maybe even a quad core with Windows 10 already installed or a USB drive WITH the OS ready to RE-install.
Guarantee you $100 could even get him a fart-worthy "gaming" rig. No, not REALLY a real gaming rig, but a spiffied up box that at least has maximum RAM possible installed, like maybe 16GB or so.
Maybe an i5 processor, and for another ten bucks he could probably get a webcam to go with it at the same yard sale.

I would just do your zoom meeting from your toaster instead. It will do exactly the same job....and of course there is the upside of having delicious hot buttered toast.

I love toast. The healthy kind.

I love toast. The healthy kind.
This stuff makes for the blue meth of toast.

53c1073d-b48b-4eab-bc97-283aeee8c5f0.jpg

Have it with this, and ain't never going back to Wonder Bread...

W2EI9.png

This stuff makes for the blue meth of toast.
Have it with this, and ain't never going back to Wonder Bread...

Dave's bread is okay. Alvarado Street (cooperative) Bakery organic sprouted grains bread is better.

Dave's bread is okay. Alvarado Street (cooperative) Bakery organic sprouted grains bread is better.
I'll have to look that one up.

I'm glad stores are carrying better bread products. I remember when Oroweat used to sell decent bread. And then the company sold to a Mexican multinational (Bimbo Bakeries) and then the quality went down the drain.

Now I'm hungry LOL

I'll have to look that one up.

I'm glad stores are carrying better bread products. I remember when Oroweat used to sell decent bread. And then the company sold to a Mexican multinational (Bimbo Bakeries) and then the quality went down the drain.

Now I'm hungry LOL

Flatbread (like a pancake): soak red lentils 1:1 volume for four or more hours; blend till batter consistency; cook on skillet or frying pan.

Similarly with quinoa, but no soaking needed.

Update!

My hooptie computer performed flawlessly!

I drove my hooptie backup car to the library, but found out that they were supposed to open at 9 am- the same time I was supposed to be ready for the prompt meeting! Started downloading the Zoom app on my $10 (subsidized) phone but it was going to take at least 10 minutes. The man that appeared to be unhoused who asked for the current time and exhibited some non-threatening verbal behavior when I looked in the window didn't bother me a bit, although I did have a defensive weapon on-hand. "What to do, what to do- don't panic." I drove home and was still early for the meeting. There were about a dozen people on camera and I watched and listened, signalling that they correctly understood my initials (which I had put in for yesterday's audio test) were me by toggling the mute button.

I should be an official member (PFC) of the P**** Fan Club (PFC) by the end of next week. Then I just need to wait for the next instructions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom