• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Michelle Obama be the Democratic Candidate for President in 2020?

• Likely yes and win the Democratic nomination

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • She might run but will drop out for lack of support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Not sure, but she may run for Senate somewhere

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Unlikely she will run for president

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Depends how her tour with Oprah goes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Likely unless Oprah runs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, she won't run for president

Votes: 39 73.6%

• Total voters
Speak for yourself. Not all of us felt that way.
Alright, fair enough.

But as seen in the polls, I'm far from alone. These two were the most disliked presidential candidates of the modern era.

Alright, fair enough.

But as seen in the polls, I'm far from alone. These two were the most disliked presidential candidates of the modern era.

I know. 2016 was one hell of an aberration. But the Dems are not going to make the same mistake twice. Already we're looking at at least a dozen candidates running.

So even if I just so happen to turn out to be wrong about Hillary's not running, her odds of being nominated again will be far less. Much to the chagrin of the Far Right. :lol:

I know. 2016 was one hell of an aberration. But the Dems are not going to make the same mistake twice. Already we're looking at at least a dozen candidates running.

So even if I just so happen to turn out to be wrong about Hillary's not running, her odds of being nominated again will be far less. Much to the chagrin of the Far Right. :lol:
Actually, the lesson learned may be to have a charismatic candidate.

It seems to be important in today's media age. That is a strong part of Trump's campaign season draw - he is a Reality TV Show star.

The DNC needs better leadership for one. Further, they must never allow a candidate to hold all the purse strings.

It seems to be important in today's media age. That is a strong part of Trump's campaign season draw - he is a Reality TV Show star.

Sadly you are right. Think about it--every two-term President since Nixon was charismatic, at least to their own base. Reagan, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama. The one-termers--Ford, Carter, and Bush 1--just didn't have it. Trump...? Frightens me to say it but even with everything going on, it is not inconceivable that he will win a second term.

The DNC needs better leadership for one. Further, they must never allow a candidate to hold all the purse strings.

You're two-and-a-half years late with that idea. Perez has been very clear that he's going to let both moderates and progressives run. So it'll be up to us to sort the rest out. Yay?

You're two-and-a-half years late with that idea. Perez has been very clear that he's going to let both moderates and progressives run. So it'll be up to us to sort the rest out. Yay?

Perez is worthless since he refuses to believe the victim of his second-in-commend (Ellison). I think Spartacus called it "complicit in evil".
But I agree it's going to be a much larger field, and that's healthier to start.

Perez is worthless since he refuses to believe the victim of his second-in-commend (Ellison). I think Spartacus called it "complicit in evil".
But I agree it's going to be a much larger field, and that's healthier to start.

That's a legitimate concern of Perez and Ellison. I really wish they had jettisoned Ellison and found another progressive.

That's a legitimate concern of Perez and Ellison. I really wish they had jettisoned Ellison and found another progressive.

Getting Ellison elected AG was more important than believing his accuser who reported the alleged assault contemporaneously and has medical documentation that comports with her story.

Neither Michelle nor Hillary are running in 2020. Time to end this foolish speculation already.

Why shouldn't Michelle Obama run? I suspect she is more popular among Democrats than any other potential candidate.

So is Oprah. Without her, I question if Obama would have beaten Hilary. Can Oprah use her star-draw power on behalf of Michelle Obama? Sure. Alternatively, Michelle Obama lends more political credibility to Oprah.

A tour with both Oprah and Michelle together maybe will lay to rest the rumors that there was a feud between the two with Michelle keeping Oprah away from the White House.

Question...

Quoting President Trump...

That's a stupid question...sit down

I don't think she has the personal fortitude to go back to the WH.
From what I gathered she didn't like being in the public spotlight.

So I vote NO.

On the contrary she does have the personal fortitude to decide how she wants to live her life, and sees a bigger picture than returning to the White House.
I think she enjoys the spotlight, as shown by her book tour, and many campaign appearances she has made.
The world is bigger than politics. We haven't heard the last from Michelle Obama, thank God, but it won't be as a candidate for president.

Oprah by her side gives her what no other Democratic candidate has - the ability to draw a crowd. The 2 are a powerful combination. The tour will reveal whether Michelle Obama has the ability to be likable and learn now to make a sincere smile. The idea, of course, is to make it appear that people are begging her to run for which then she must accept for the good of the country or something like that if the tour is working well for her. If the tour is a bust then so is she.

In my opinion, Oprah going on tour with her is a massive advantage in running Michelle Obama up the public political flag pole and see how many and who salutes - specifically meaning crowd size and the attitude the press and media takes. Will she become the next Democratic media darling? Or will they ignore her?

Not sure where you've been but she is already a "democratic media darling" and is very popular. Mostly due to her very gracious turn as First Lady, with serious programs and accomplishments.

Hey, we'll have to see if Jeff Probst is available. ;) Certainly more charismatic than Trump, and has a better Reality Show with very high, fantastic, best ever ratings.

I wonder what a Michelle Obama/Laura Bush team would do?

So is Oprah. Without her, I question if Obama would have beaten Hilary. Can Oprah use her star-draw power on behalf of Michelle Obama? Sure. Alternatively, Michelle Obama lends more political credibility to Oprah.

I'm making no predictions yet, too early.

Of the existing candidates on the field today, I believe Michele and Mark Cuban, both who will likely stand down till 2024. It is the smart move. Democrat and especially progressive behavior has made the party a party of hate. The 2020 election is not an election to win, it is an election to lose, and that has already been accomplished. Unless Democrats can find a new candidate, new blood, one who cab breath new life and ideas as well as leadership, who can save Democrats from themselves, Trump wins by default again.

Michele was the candidate who would have won the last election if Democrats hadn't gone Hilary stupid.

Sadly you are right. Think about it--every two-term President since Nixon was charismatic, at least to their own base. Reagan, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama. The one-termers--Ford, Carter, and Bush 1--just didn't have it. Trump...? Frightens me to say it but even with everything going on, it is not inconceivable that he will win a second term.
Barring a change in the political winds, I'm now thinking this is unlikely.

Last week the governorships flipped Dem, along with quite a few House seats, in WI, MI, PA. Just like many of the big-city suburbs, these were reliable Dem states that Trump needs, that he surprisingly won (flipped) by the very slimmest of margins in 2016, giving him the suprise win. I don't see those margins in those states (and suburbs) there, anymore. In addition GA is in play, a few other previous reliable Red states may be in play or are close, and even TX must be defended. Trump will now be defending all over the map, in places he didn't need to in 2016.

Between the loss of his narrow pluralities in those three critical states he flipped in 2016, the new states he must defend, the 7 just flipped governorships' coat-tails effect on their new states, the Dem suburban districts coming back home and Repub suburban districts flipping, along with the immense and broad Dem enthusiasm coupled with a determination to not be lackadaisical and get burned again, all lead me to believe Trump is unlikely to prevail in 2020 - barring a Dem mishandling of their situation.

Last edited:
Barring a change in the political winds, I'm now thinking this is unlikely.

Last week the governorships flipped Dem, along with quite a few House seats, in WI, MI, PA. Just like many of the big-city suburbs, these were reliable Dem states that Trump needs, that he surprisingly won (flipped) by the very slimmest of margins in 2016, giving him the suprise win. I don't see those margins in those states (and suburbs) there, anymore. In addition GA is in play, a few other previous reliable Red states may be in play or are close, and even TX must be defended. Trump will now be defending all over the map, in places he didn't need to in 2016.

Between the loss of his narrow pluralities in those three critical states he flipped in 2016, the new states he must defend, the 7 just flipped governorships' coat-tails effect on their new states, the Dem suburban districts coming back home and Repub suburban districts flipping, along with the immense and broad Dem enthusiasm coupled with a determination to not be lackadaisical and get burned again, all lead me to believe Trump is unlikely to prevail in 2020 - barring a Dem mishandling of their situation.

I fear you are wrong but hope you are right.

Whoever our candidate is in 2020 is going to have their work cut out for them. They are going to have to (1) unify a base that declared a truce going into the midterms but is already resuming the petty squabbling; (2) have a platform that is simultaneously sufficiently progressive, can survive reasonable scrutiny, and won't scare off all the moderates; (3) overcome the obstacles of the electoral college and voter suppression efforts; (4) prove that they can roll up their sleeves and get right to work in January 2021.

I fear you are wrong but hope you are right.

Whoever our candidate is in 2020 is going to have their work cut out for them. They are going to have to (1) unify a base that declared a truce going into the midterms but is already resuming the petty squabbling; (2) have a platform that is simultaneously sufficiently progressive, can survive reasonable scrutiny, and won't scare off all the moderates; (3) overcome the obstacles of the electoral college and voter suppression efforts; (4) prove that they can roll up their sleeves and get right to work in January 2021.

And I would add that the results of the midterms elections, which did not ameliorate the R's, have given unofficial permission for Trump, his team, and the R Party not to change course in any way. Had a few more Senate seats changed hands, there would have been a pushback to rethink things. But that is not there now.

1) There is little unity in the D Party as far as I can see (in Canada). THe R's are much more unified.
2) There may be rising stars, but no name recognition. But Mr Clinton came from nowhere. It can happen again.
3) Electoral College is the rulebook. THe D's have to work within it. The EC may give a slight unfair edge, but it will not vault an uncredible candidate into POTUS.
3) If there is voter suppression, NOW is the time to fight back. If the D's wait a month before the election to take action, they have only themselves to blame.
4) As far as works goes, there's a whole whack of EO's that can be undone! If the D's are really smart, they should be working on a public health care bill right now to be ready form when they do control Congress.

But my money is on Trump in 2020.

It's time for another system!

And I would add that the results of the midterms elections, which did not ameliorate the R's, have given unofficial permission for Trump, his team, and the R Party not to change course in any way. Had a few more Senate seats changed hands, there would have been a pushback to rethink things. But that is not there now.

1) There is little unity in the D Party as far as I can see (in Canada). THe R's are much more unified.
2) There may be rising stars, but no name recognition. But Mr Clinton came from nowhere. It can happen again.
3) Electoral College is the rulebook. THe D's have to work within it. The EC may give a slight unfair edge, but it will not vault an uncredible candidate into POTUS.
3) If there is voter suppression, NOW is the time to fight back. If the D's wait a month before the election to take action, they have only themselves to blame.
4) As far as works goes, there's a whole whack of EO's that can be undone! If the D's are really smart, they should be working on a public health care bill right now to be ready form when they do control Congress.

But my money is on Trump in 2020.

It's time for another system!

1. The progressives declared a truce going into the midterms. That was necessary to our taking back the House. But now they are resuming their squabbling. And the Kremlin knows it.
2. This is a good thing. I like the idea of nominating a dark horse such as Bill Clinton, as you mentioned.
3. Yup.
4. If you haven't watched Stacey Abrams's admission of defeat speech, I recommend it. None of this stupid crap about accepting a rigged election. Brian Kemp is going into the Georgia governor's mansion with an asterisk on his head, and everyone who has an ounce of sense knows it.
5. The Dems have started with HR 1, which would enact automatic voter registration, take districting out of the hands of state legislatures, take a direct shot at Citizens United, etc. I think this was a smart opening move.

I'd love it if M.O. ran for president. She'd eviscerate trump in a general. Not only would she be a great candidate, but trump and his toothless supporters would not resist making harsh, racist comments regarding her which would piss off a bunch of independants. But I picked, "no" she won't run.

Back
Top Bottom