• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will McConnel go nuclear for Trumps wall?

Middle_Ground

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Will Mitch McConnell continue to break the senate for this president?
All I got to say is no takesy backsies if he does.
In 3 years we'll have Medicare for all, free college and a host of things that are probably not good for the country but who cares....right? we'll have a great wall on our southern border.

The legislative filibuster is the one thing Republicans have historically benefited from more than Democrats. It also makes zero sense to end the filibuster two weeks before Democrats take over the House. So no, McConnell won't move to end the filibuster.

Will Mitch McConnell continue to break the senate for this president?
All I got to say is no takesy backsies if he does.
In 3 years we'll have Medicare for all, free college and a host of things that are probably not good for the country but who cares....right? we'll have a great wall on our southern border.

What I wonder if he does, can he get 50 votes. I suspect there are GOPers in the Senate that do not want to vote for the wall as they see it as a huge boondoggle. This will be especially true if they actually build a wall and it does little to stop the flow, which most people think.

For this? Absolutely not.

Trump is calling for it along with senator daines of Montana, so far it's only 1 GOP senator by this afternoon it could be more especially if Limbaugh, Coulter and gang chime in.

It's highly unlikely. This is a one-off event that doesn't merit such a change. There are other ways to fund the wall. This continuing resolution junk is a failure of the legislature, and both parties are complicit in the cowardice exemplified by the failure to make a binding commitment.

The legislative filibuster is the one thing Republicans have historically benefited from more than Democrats. It also makes zero sense to end the filibuster two weeks before Democrats take over the House. So no, McConnell won't move to end the filibuster.

if only harry reid had been so circumspect

It's highly unlikely. This is a one-off event that doesn't merit such a change. There are other ways to fund the wall. This continuing resolution junk is a failure of the legislature, and both parties are complicit in the cowardice exemplified by the failure to make a binding commitment.

what are those other ways?

"Trumps wall"

In 2006 Obama, Clinton, Schumer all voted FOR the Secure Fence Act requiring the construction of fences and increasing border security. In 2009 Schumer talked tough on illegal immigration. As president, Obama insisted that illegal immigrants MUST NOT be given preferential treatment and must go to the back of the line. All were cheered by their mindless sycophants. Today, when Trump says the EXACT SAME THINGS...in many instances of side by side clips they are LITERALLY the exact same thing...democrats and their mindless supporters lose their minds.

"Trumps wall"

In 2006 Obama, Clinton, Schumer all voted FOR the Secure Fence Act requiring the construction of fences and increasing border security. In 2009 Schumer talked tough on illegal immigration. As president, Obama insisted that illegal immigrants MUST NOT be given preferential treatment and must go to the back of the line. All were cheered by their mindless sycophants. Today, when Trump says the EXACT SAME THINGS...in many instances of side by side clips they are LITERALLY the exact same thing...democrats and their mindless supporters lose their minds.

It's not much of a loss.

Have you ever wondered what happens to appropriated monies that exist after a federal program is ended?

i know what happens to them
they receive reallocation authority by the congress
so, why would i conclude that a congress that will not authorize the wall monies would reauthorize monies for a wall

given that is all you have to offer, it would appear there is no other way to 'fund the wall'

but thanks for not offering up the sarah huckabee sanders lie that the USMCA (revised NAFTA) would provide those wall monies

"Trumps wall"

Except now we know a wall does nothing to stop the flow. Have you ever seen pictures of the parts of the wall they built. So why compound the mistake by building more wall and at a cost of somewhere between 20 and 70 billion dollars depending on the estimates. Are you willing to spend that much money just to satisfy the Trump cultists?

i know what happens to them
they receive reallocation authority by the congress
so, why would i conclude that a congress that will not authorize the wall monies would reauthorize monies for a wall

given that is all you have to offer, it would appear there is no other way to 'fund the wall'

but thanks for not offering up the sarah huckabee sanders lie that the USMCA (revised NAFTA) would provide those wall monies

Since you know what happens to them, you can surely explain how the Obama administration spent $310 billion without reauthorization, according to the CBO.

"Trumps wall"

"Fences" and "Border security" do not equal "wall".

No, there's no need to thank me, and you're most welcome.

Since you know what happens to them, you can surely explain how the Obama administration spent $310 billion without reauthorization, according to the CBO.

i would need your cite in order to prepare a response
then i would have to run my draft past Barack

i would need your cite in order to prepare a response
then i would have to run my draft past Barack

Check with Jason Chaffetz. I don't think Barack cares, but I could be wrong. I'll post a link for you if my computer decides to cooperate today. It's new, so I suppose it has an excuse - it's not used to me yet, which is it's fault. I'm too old to change.

It's not much of a loss.
Its especially comical watching them do their little pathetic dance to try to justify their hypocrisy. "Yes...they voted for barriers...but only FENCES, not WALLS." Why fences? "To keep illegal immigrants out!" Oh....so thats important? "Of COURSE! We believe in the laws!" And when the fences arent enough? When they dont exist or they are just walking THROUGH the fences? "Well...ummm TECHNOLOGY!" But its NOT working...and its NOT keeping the illegal immigrant rush OUT. "Ohmigawd...Why are you so racist!!???"

Except now we know a wall does nothing to stop the flow. Have you ever seen pictures of the parts of the wall they built. So why compound the mistake by building more wall and at a cost of somewhere between 20 and 70 billion dollars depending on the estimates. Are you willing to spend that much money just to satisfy the Trump cultists?
Walls are extremely effective where they are used and enforced. Thats why Mexico has them all along their southern border.

Its especially comical watching them do their little pathetic dance to try to justify their hypocrisy. "Yes...they voted for barriers...but only FENCES, not WALLS." Why fences? "To keep illegal immigrants out!" Oh....so thats important? "Of COURSE! We believe in the laws!" And when the fences arent enough? When they dont exist or they are just walking THROUGH the fences? "Well...ummm TECHNOLOGY!" But its NOT working...and its NOT keeping the illegal immigrant rush OUT. "Ohmigawd...Why are you so racist!!???"

Yep. This is as good a time as any to make all these people vote and expose their real position. This isn't about the money, clearly. It about principles, and the left doesn't have any that don't pander to their pursuit of political power.

The dems gave Trump 1.3b until February 8 I'd he can't do something with the 1.3b in less than 60 days why the **** would anyone with 2 brain cells give him 5b.
According to Trump he has already done so much with the 3.2b he got...I haven't seen anything but that's his words not mine.
We all want border security...the majority of Americans want 21st century border security while Trump cult wants 14th century. That's the difference.
I want Mitch to go play his card go nuclear.

If he can, he should. The Democrats would and will if ever they get control of the Senate. Integrity and decorum is no longer relevant in Congress. It's a power free-for-all on a partisan divide from now on.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/republican-senators-reject-trumps-plan-go-nuclear-wall-funding-dilemma/

Republican senators reject Trump’s plan to ‘go nuclear’ over wall-funding dilemma
Reuters
21 Dec 2018 at 13:00 ET

U.S. President Donald Trump conceded on Friday there was a good chance the Senate would not approve his demand for $5 billion toward funding his border wall project and that there would probably would be a government shutdown beginning at midnight.

Before meeting with Senate Republicans at the White House, Trump had written on Twitter that “Democrats now own the shutdown,” despite having said last week that he would be “proud” to shut down the government over the issue of border security and “I’ll be the one to shut it down.”

In a series of early-morning tweets on Friday, Trump urged McConnell to take up the amended bill from the House. He also called on McConnell to use the “nuclear option” to force a Senate vote on legislation with a simple majority, rather than the standard “supermajority” of 60 votes. But there was not enough support among Republican senators to do so.

Back
Top Bottom