• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will legalizing marijuana make it socially acceptable?

G

Gargantuan

I was wondering this.. if marijuana were made legal in the US for example, and regulated, would it make it a socially acceptable thing? I don't think any of us want to see marijuana smokers everywhere.

I doubt that it would become socially acceptable right away. I'm not sure that it would ever become completely socially acceptable either, look at tobacco smokers and the sort of treatment they receive. I suspect it would become a lot more acceptable than it currently is though.

I think that it is already going in that direction. Far more people support legalization today than just a few years ago. Otherwise Prop 19 wouldn't have been as close as it was and medical marijuana laws would not have been passed in various states. People are realizing that pot isn't exactly meth.

New High of 46% of Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana

I do not think that it would become socially acceptable. Cigarette smoking is on the way out all over, and the stigma of laziness and complacency attached to smoking marijuana will still relegate it to taboo status. When people think marijuana they think pot heads, and that is not a socially acceptable convention.

I don't think it'll become socially acceptable in public places, simply 'cause second hand marijuana smoke effects you in a very different way to tobacco smoke, and you wouldn't really want to walk pass people smoking and come out the other side stoned. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom