• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Jeb Bush change parties?

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Jeb Bush’s education legacy loses luster[/h]
Long viewed as a potential contender in the 2016 presidential race, Bush has taken considerable heat from activists on the right in recent months for his support of the Common Core, academic standards that have been promoted by the Obama administration and adopted by 45 states and D.C. Several of his potential rivals for a GOP nomination, among them Senators Marco Rubio and Rand Paul, have outflanked him by coming out against the Common Core, which many tea-party activists see as a heavy-handed federal intrusion into local control of education.

Maybe he will run as a Democrat instead.

I sure hope not

Many Democrats and/or liberals also do not support Common Core. It's a matter of intense disagreement over the concept of best practices, where many are against the standardization movement. That being said, standardization is also a nearly-ubiquitous reality for both parties and the American public at large, because the debate is largely framed on a national concern for education, rather than state issues with education. This one is not defined by which political party you support.

Last edited:
Many Democrats and/or liberals also do not support Common Core. It's a matter of intense disagreement over the concept of best practices, where many are against the standardization movement. That being said, standardization is also a nearly-ubiquitous reality for both parties and the American public at large, because the debate is largely framed on a national concern for education, rather than state issues with education. This one is not defined by which political party you support.

Education is a function of the states, and not within the purview of the federal government. Let the feds figure out how to do what they are supposed to do, and leave the states to do what they're supposed to do.

The less centralized education is, the more choices there are, the more responsibility falls locally, the better.

Education is a function of the states, and not within the purview of the federal government. Let the feds figure out how to do what they are supposed to do, and leave the states to do what they're supposed to do.

The less centralized education is, the more choices there are, the more responsibility falls locally, the better.

It is in the purview of the federal government and has been for decades. No, there are many circumstances where it is quite clear, that without federal push and enormous aid, sections of the educational platform have faltered.

It is in the purview of the federal government and has been for decades. No, there are many circumstances where it is quite clear, that without federal push and enormous aid, sections of the educational platform have faltered.

There was the issue of segregation back in the '60s, but that was more of a civil rights issue than one of education.

There was the issue of segregation back in the '60s, but that was more of a civil rights issue than one of education.

Which was also tied to education. There is also special education.

Which I suppose is a part of Americans with Disabilities, but it still would be better done locally.

I suppose you meant the Americans with Disabilities Act, which is only one law out of many that provided rights for students with disabilities. Most of what we consider to be the most important aspects are the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Education for All Handicapped Children Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

No, it's not. Special education was the prime example as to why local and state control has incredible limitations. Most of the progress within the field was as a direct result of emphasis from Congress, the Department of Ed, and its subgroupings placing regulations and financial incentives on state departments of education and local education agencies. That's the reality.

Last edited:
Why be a RINO when you can be a DINO?

He would not be a DINO, and I really don't see how support of one issue can make him a RINO. I mean, the whole premise of this thread is just painfully ****ing retarded. Why is it every time a republican does something the fringe does not like, they call for him to move to a party that he does not fit in?

He would not be a DINO, and I really don't see how support of one issue can make him a RINO. I mean, the whole premise of this thread is just painfully ****ing retarded. Why is it every time a republican does something the fringe does not like, they call for him to move to a party that he does not fit in?

Ditto ain't the fringe, but you know that.

One issue will make him a RINO to the far right fringe. You know it as well as I do.

Ditto ain't the fringe, but you know that.

One issue will make him a RINO to the far right fringe. You know it as well as I do.

You realize you just made two mutually exclusive comments, right?

poor jeb, he was probably the smart one. Now he has no party. too honest to be a republican. too much of a liar to be a democrat.

I suppose you meant the Americans with Disabilities Act, which is only one law out of many that provided rights for students with disabilities. Most of what we consider to be the most important aspects are the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Education for All Handicapped Children Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

No, it's not. Special education was the prime example as to why local and state control has incredible limitations. Most of the progress within the field was as a direct result of emphasis from Congress, the Department of Ed, and its subgroupings placing regulations and financial incentives on state departments of education and local education agencies. That's the reality.

All that would better be called the "one size fits all" act, or perhaps the "top down management is the only way" act.
Anyway, just where does the Constitution give the federal government the responsibility for education? It seems to me that the central government needs to get its act together and do what the Constitution does say that it needs to do.

but, that's just my opinion. Maybe an ever more powerful central government is the way to go.

All that would better be called the "one size fits all" act, or perhaps the "top down management is the only way" act.
Anyway, just where does the Constitution give the federal government the responsibility for education? It seems to me that the central government needs to get its act together and do what the Constitution does say that it needs to do.

but, that's just my opinion. Maybe an ever more powerful central government is the way to go.

I want public policy that works. The federal government stepped in when it was needed, and improvements are all but obvious to anyone in the field.

Lord knows why folks repeat the tired mantra of "local control" and "free markets" when it derails education. My guess is that the mantra is just a mental comfort.

It is my opinion that several on the right side of the aisle have lost their way. They are happy to work within Big Government for reform instead of standing on the core principles the Republican party was founded. Today folks like Jeb Bush and other elites in the GOP running the show don't have a problem with Big Government. Their little oligarchy just thinks they can run it better than the Democrats. If they were standing on principles they would be shouting to close down the Department of Education and returning the duties to each individual state.

It is my opinion that several on the right side of the aisle have lost their way. They are happy to work within Big Government for reform instead of standing on the core principles the Republican party was founded. Today folks like Jeb Bush and other elites in the GOP running the show don't have a problem with Big Government. Their little oligarchy just thinks they can run it better than the Democrats. If they were standing on principles they would be shouting to close down the Department of Education and returning the duties to each individual state.

Neither of the two major parties stands for limited government.

Back
Top Bottom