• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will history look back and remember Donald Trump...

Is Trump the destroyer of the GOP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
There's a lot of talk going around about how the GOP is in the midst of a major shakeup, a transition if you will, and will emerge looking nothing like it looks today. I believe this possibility is very plausible and that it has been building for several years now, and we might be near its apex.

Could this potentially explain how a boob like Trump has been able to weasel himself into the nomination? Has the party become so completely unresponsive and dysfunctional that Trump is the best option to those within? (With Trump unwittingly finishing the job of destruction, of course.)

Fifty years from now, will history look back and remember Donald Trump as the one who destroyed the Republican party (as we know it)?

There's a lot of talk going around about how the GOP is in the midst of a major shakeup, a transition if you will, and will emerge looking nothing like it looks today. I believe this possibility is very plausible and that it has been building for several years now, and we might be near its apex.

Could this potentially explain how a boob like Trump has been able to weasel himself into the nomination? Has the party become so completely unresponsive and dysfunctional that Trump is the best option to those within? (With Trump unwittingly finishing the job of destruction, of course.)

Fifty years from now, will history look back and remember Donald Trump as the one who destroyed the Republican party (as we know it)?

Maybe, but I don't think it will be destroyed - remade, but not destroyed. Both parties have gone through rebirths from time to time. The Democrats after Reagan's two wins, and the Republicans after Hoover. The Trump phenomenon is an aberration. Or so I hope. In many ways, Sanders and Trump have both tapped into the distrust and anger that America as a whole has with the inability for our government to do much more than point fingers and make accusations. Although there are vast differences in the ideologies behind the Sanders supporter versus the Trump supporter, the motivations are not all that different, and the anger is more similar than either side would like to admit.

I think the popularity that Trump and Sanders together hold, says more about the anger of the electorate, than it does about any one of the two parties.

I hope to hell it isn't destroyed, but Trump has really done his part to stain the brand. And considering the weak candidate the Dems have put up, it should have been a no-brainer for a strong, decent person to get the GOP nomination and get into the Oval Office. How we ended up with this obnoxious, deceitful, manipulative, ignorant band of wind is beside me.

My answer was "Maybe" because I'm an optimist that the GOP is stronger than that heinous man, and will survive his candidacy.

Massive demographic change in the USA is what's going to reduce the GOP to a minor,regional,party.

Trump will have little impact.

The GOP destroyed itself, the downward spiral was raging long before Trump showed up.

The GOP will recover just fine from (so long as it does a demographic ideological shift, that is). The GOP will, however, wake up with an enormous hangover and, to put it as crudely but as aptly as humanly possible, never ever dare speak of the fat chick they drunkenly banged during that one insane party.

The GOP will recover just fine from (so long as it does a demographic ideological shift, that is). The GOP will, however, wake up with an enormous hangover and, to put it as crudely but as aptly as humanly possible, never ever dare speak of the fat chick they drunkenly banged during that one insane party.

That wasn't me. I was never fat.

I think that it is possible they will see him as the sort of harbinger/summation of it. He's certainly wrecked the brand. It may be necessary for conservatives to destroy the GOP in order to give rise to an alternative, but I don't know if we are quite there yet.

All around, it's a ****ing disaster. :( If we don't replace the GOP, we're going to have to be insisting that Trump wasn't a conservative for decades, as the left gleefully hangs him around Republicans necks.

I hope to hell it isn't destroyed, but Trump has really done his part to stain the brand. And considering the weak candidate the Dems have put up, it should have been a no-brainer for a strong, decent person to get the GOP nomination and get into the Oval Office. How we ended up with this obnoxious, deceitful, manipulative, ignorant band of wind is beside me.

My answer was "Maybe" because I'm an optimist that the GOP is stronger than that heinous man, and will survive his candidacy.
This election could have been a cakewalk for the GOP.

This election could have been a cakewalk for the GOP.

Take a look at the polls and think about where the numbers would be if we'd replaced Trump with Rubio, Walker, Kasich..... basically anyone that wasn't Trump or Jeb....

No

1.) he would have to win to have a major impact, he isnt going to win
2.) he would be "key" but not the destory of the two part system starting to go away . . .
its gonna happen anyway just slower without him winning and thats a GOOD thing . .

I want it to go away as soon as possible but not at the risk what a candidate like him could do in office.

Back
Top Bottom