• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Harris hurt, help, or make no difference for Biden?

Harris will...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, no difference. Not my favorite choice, but won't change my vote. I would have voted for her had she actually made it as the Dem Presidential candidate. Doesnt make her my favorite pick by far.

I think it could help Biden though overall. Black women made the difference in Alabama, to put Doug Jones in as Senator. I think Harris or any black woman could also do the same across the country. I think some other choices that were out there would have been better but also some worse.
Black Votes Were Key To Doug Jones Win In Alabama Senate Special Election : NPR

Now, while I dont think its right to make a VP choice or vote based on race or sex, I do see the benefits of doing so and that people are going to get more excited about certain candidates that match them, that they can relate to in some way.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think Harris will help turn out Black voters in Swing States like Texas, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida. States that also have large black populations. She is also likely to help bring out suburban females that might not have been super engaged. I honestly will not be shocked to see States like Texas and Georgia flip blue. Biden is already so neck and neck with Trump in these two historically Red States. I'm certain North Carolina and Michigan will be Biden States in 2020.

States like North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Michigan and North Carolina really matter. I think it was another nail in Trumps coffin, personally.

As for those bringing up liberals caring about Trumps affairs. No one cared about the affair. They cared that the Evangelicals tried to paint him as the picture of Religious Faith, and Trump meanwhile had the audacity to mention Bill Clintons infidelity. THAT is why Trumps affairs were ever mentioned. The hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I don't know.

Part of me thinks that it will help because she is a visible minority and a woman and those who want that representation will take the time and effort to go out and vote.

Another part of me think she will be much more heavily scrutinized because she is a visible minority and a woman. Every little tiny thing she will do/say will be x 10.

So I don't know.

Agreed. Harris is going to be watched and criticized, and hopefully complimented. As the first POC and as the first female VP candidate the severe scrutiny will be unavoidable. The job will require balls of steel, something completely lacking in the current VP. Harris ain't no dummy. We have seen her in action. She's well qualified, very competent, and damned tough. It will be interesting to watch as she adapts to the job.

I am confident that she will do well. Hopefully, along with Biden, she will begin to restore the dignity that has been missing in the Executive Branch. That alone will be no small task. The world will be watching and I believe they will be hopeful.

Actually Harris is a pretty strong choice.

But the main problem with this is Biden is picking her just because she's female and she's non-white. That's all there is to it and nobody can deny this fact.

other than being a black woman, what assets does she bring to the ticket?

I think what Bide did was to observe the first rule in picking a VP, do no harm. So now Biden can win California by 4 million votes instead of 3. That doesn't help him. She also doesn't help him in the midwest or the rust belt. New England was already his. Harris doesn't sway Hispanics to Biden's side either as in Arizona and Texas as a Senator Masto would have done.

But right now I don't think Biden needed someone to get him to 270, he has that at the moment. He needed someone who wouldn't jeopardize his chances getting to 270 which Harris doesn't. Biden is up by 6 in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan according to the latest RCP averages. He has a 4 point lead in Florida and a 2 point lead in both Arizona and North Carolina. All states Trump won in 2016. He just as to hang on to those leads and he waltzes. That may be easier said than done. But time will tell. Harris will do fine although I don't see her as a big help. Although Harris may be able to get out the black vote in Cleveland and the like in Ohio and also turn that state blue. Time will tell.

But for me, neither a help nor a hindrance.

The only real asset she offers is to defuse the law and order issue, which might have become a problem. Trump has been working overtime to paint Biden with a broad weak on crime/defund the police brush so that Biden is forced to either tick off progressives and blacks, or moderates by taking a series of stances on policing issues. Harris as a former DA prosecuting both white collar and violent crime, and former AG who has also required police stop video, and launched OpenJustice as AG. She got criticism from both sides for not doing enough reform and for ticking off the police unions. These law and order issues will land on her back, not Joe's'

Agreed. Harris is going to be watched and criticized, and hopefully complimented. As the first POC and as the first female VP candidate the severe scrutiny will be unavoidable. The job will require balls of steel, something completely lacking in the current VP. Harris ain't no dummy. We have seen her in action. She's well qualified, very competent, and damned tough. It will be interesting to watch as she adapts to the job.

I am confident that she will do well. Hopefully, along with Biden, she will begin to restore the dignity that has been missing in the Executive Branch. That alone will be no small task. The world will be watching and I believe they will be hopeful.

Well said, Risky. I certainly hope they will restore whatever smidgeon of dignity is left and break new barriers.

For me, no difference. Not my favorite choice, but won't change my vote. I would have voted for her had she actually made it as the Dem Presidential candidate. Doesnt make her my favorite pick by far.

I think it could help Biden though overall. Black women made the difference in Alabama, to put Doug Jones in as Senator. I think Harris or any black woman could also do the same across the country. I think some other choices that were out there would have been better but also some worse.
Black Votes Were Key To Doug Jones Win In Alabama Senate Special Election : NPR

Now, while I dont think its right to make a VP choice or vote based on race or sex, I do see the benefits of doing so and that people are going to get more excited about certain candidates that match them, that they can relate to in some way.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I agree with what is mostly said here. But jeepers, roguenuke.... do you not think it's high time there is better representation for women and people of colour? It's 2020... we need to get with the program. Old white men have dominated politics for too long -- and no one is going to convince me that it's because all were the better candidates.

The only real asset she offers is to defuse the law and order issue, which might have become a problem. Trump has been working overtime to paint Biden with a broad weak on crime/defund the police brush so that Biden is forced to either tick off progressives and blacks, or moderates by taking a series of stances on policing issues. Harris as a former DA prosecuting both white collar and violent crime, and former AG who has also required police stop video, and launched OpenJustice as AG. She got criticism from both sides for not doing enough reform and for ticking off the police unions. These law and order issues will land on her back, not Joe's'

I do think a few folks who originally supported Biden mainly because of their dislike of Trump are beginning to have second thoughts because of all the recent riots. I don't think the choice of Harris will put that to bed especially if they continue. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think she hurts. She was rejected early in the Primaries and I see no reason why the Democrat Party would have changed their minds.

No, I am not. But I do try as much as I can to feel empathy for other people. It does not take a brilliant mind to know that people in the US are not treated fairly because of how they look and their gender. It's just a fact. I have personally experienced misogyny so I have some first-hand knowledge there.

You're right. People aren't always treated fairly because of things like gender, skin color, and appearance overall.

That's wrong on all levels, but trying to make up for the inequality by favoring females and people of color isn't a good solution, especially when it purposely discriminates against white males.

You're right. People aren't always treated fairly because of things like gender, skin color, and appearance overall.

That's wrong on all levels, but trying to make up for the inequality by favoring females and people of color isn't a good solution, especially when it purposely discriminates against white males.

I hear what you're saying. So how do you think we can get there?

So, you're going to risk the chance that a deranged maniac that has taken a wrecking ball to the country, continue to occupy the WH?

Yeah, you sure should the Democratic party. They'll really bow down and appease you next time - if there's still a country then.

I voted for Michael Dukakis in the 2016 primary. By the general election Lee Atwater's Willy Horten adds convinced me not to. I liked Bush I, but I did not vote for him because he became Reagan's running mate, after accurately deriding supply side economics as "Voodoo Economics."

Right now Trump is so unspeakably horrible, that I still might vote for Joe Biden. I like Joe. I need to know more about what Kamala Harris advocates. If she runs on her record as a tough prosecutor, I might change my mind about her.

I hear what you're saying. So how do you think we can get there?

There's really a very logical, sensible, and rather easy solution.

Hire a person based on qualifications, skills, intelligence, background, and what meaningful contributions he or she will bring forth. Forget about gender, race, skin color, national origin, sexual preference, or physical attractiveness.

Let's just face the facts. Biden clearly said he wanted a woman for VP. That alone discriminates against men. He purposely chose a woman and a person of color. You can't expect to make up for past inequalities within a certain gender or race by being discriminatory toward another gender or race.

I voted for Michael Dukakis in the 2016 primary. By the general election Lee Atwater's Willy Horten adds convinced me not to. I liked Bush I, but I did not vote for him because he became Reagan's running mate, after accurately deriding supply side economics as "Voodoo Economics."

Right now Trump is so unspeakably horrible, that I still might vote for Joe Biden. I like Joe. I need to know more about what Kamala Harris advocates. If she runs on her record as a tough prosecutor, I might change my mind about her.

Dukakis in 2016? You're 28 years off, SmartCat.

Biden picked a smart, qualified and capable running mate, but since that was the expectation from the start I'm not sure that really changed the calculus much.

Biden has made it official. His running mate will be Kamala Harris, unless she withdraws or gets "cancelled".

Do you think this pick will help him, hurt him, or make no difference in the electoral college?

Traditionally, Vice Presidents make no difference in the Electoral College. Some argue it'll make a big difference, seeing as how Biden will be 78 years old soon. If elected, he would be the oldest President of the all-time, beating Reagan's 77.

HELP - He's going to motivate black voters in the swing states and help beat Donald Trump.

HURT - Voters will be turned away, by her record as California Attorney General and/or so-called personality problems.

NO DIFFERENCE - It will not make a single difference.

She is like a brainless pit bull who allowed innocent convicted people to languish in prison (and she knew it) because of her Brady violations when she was CA Attorney General.

She is the main reason for so many black men in prison in California.

She should be ashamed of herself.

Certainly not VP material, let alone presidential material (God forbid).

She will thankfully hurt Biden because of her mouth.

Biden has made it official. His running mate will be Kamala Harris, unless she withdraws or gets "cancelled".

Do you think this pick will help him, hurt him, or make no difference in the electoral college?

Traditionally, Vice Presidents make no difference in the Electoral College. Some argue it'll make a big difference, seeing as how Biden will be 78 years old soon. If elected, he would be the oldest President of the all-time, beating Reagan's 77.

HELP - He's going to motivate black voters in the swing states and help beat Donald Trump.

HURT - Voters will be turned away, by her record as California Attorney General and/or so-called personality problems.

NO DIFFERENCE - It will not make a single difference.

It's a historic pick. It will motivate the minority and progressive vote like no one has ever seen before.

She's gotta be one tough lady.

I mean, she had the guts to "bump uglies" with Willie Brown while he was married.

Nice racist, slut-shaming post. You've outdone yourself!

So, you're going to risk the chance that a deranged maniac that has taken a wrecking ball to the country, continue to occupy the WH?

Yeah, you sure should the Democratic party. They'll really bow down and appease you next time - if there's still a country then.

He's in the northeast - likely a blue state - we won't miss his vote, anywho <shrug>

Back
Top Bottom