• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Democrats Prosecute Trump After He Leaves Office?

Will Democrats Pursue Charges Against Trump Or People In His Administration After He Leaves Office

• Yes, Without Question

• Yes, after a prolonged investigation

• No, after a prolonged investigation

• No, without question.

• Yes, and they will pursue the death penalty.

Results are only viewable after voting.

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
There are calls for Trump to be punished so that he never runs again...

...how exactly do they intend to do that?

I haven't seen any indication that people who want Trump out of office will be satisfied after he leaves office.

I am really not sure.
You have no option for me.

I haven't seen any indication that people who want Trump out of office will be satisfied after he leaves office.

What is it you mean by "satisfied?"

If the AG of New York and elsewhere have evidence of wrong doing, they will be compelled to prosecute.
Certainly charges will be brought for his actions in GA.

What is it you mean by "satisfied?"

If the AG of New York and elsewhere have evidence of wrong doing, they will be compelled to prosecute.
Certainly charges will be brought for his actions in GA.
It's not a matter of what I mean by "satisfied"; it's what the people who want him out of office deem "satisfied". There seems to be a lot of "we want him out of office, and...". So I just threw in the death penalty at the last minute so they can get straight to the point.

For example...there's a lot of "we need to make lists of all the people who supported Trump" types of comments. Its clear that a lot of people want to do more than just get Trump out of office. There's justice and there's cynical revenge.

It's not a matter of what I mean by "satisfied"; it's what the people who want him out of office deem "satisfied". There seems to be a lot of "we want him out of office, and...". So I just threw in the death penalty at the last minute so they can get straight to the point.

What are you talking about?

Listen, it can be hard when one idolizes someone who turns out to be bad, mad man.
But be assured, Good Ole' Joe will put us on the straight and narrow.

Right and ready we will be.

Listen, it can be hard when one idolizes someone who turns out to be bad, mad man.

It's very typical to see people like you immediately jump to the "idolized Trump" when I've said he's going to be a one -term president since 2017.

I just had a similar interaction with an account that was so predictable and repetitive that it may have been a bot. Do you have any other scripted comments you wanna make while we're here or are you gonna address the comments actually being made?

He can be prevented from ever holding a public office again no matter when the Senate convicts him. Of course we all want the Senate to convict him before he leaves office, but even if that does not happen, guaranteed he will never run for another elected position.

He can be prevented from ever holding a public office again no matter when the Senate convicts him. Of course we all want the Senate to convict him before he leaves office, but even if that does not happen, guaranteed he will never run for another elected position.
I agree. I don't think he ever runs again as politics are not what he thought they'd be and aren't what he expected.

For damned sure someone is going to sue Trump once he's out of office, if they haven't already.
I'm not sure if it will be "the democrats", but someone will, it's inevitable given all the people he's pissed off.

I think various states might sue him.

Probably a few other entities, but I'm only guessing.

I agree. I don't think he ever runs again as politics are not what he thought they'd be and aren't what he expected.

All he cared about was holding the job title on the basis that he believed the POTUS is above the law. He never really wanted to be responsible for other people. That has been a pattern every time he started a new business.

CNN floated the idea that the RNC can permanently disqualify him so that he would have to switch parties to run again. I would be interested in finding out how they could do that.

Is there a Statute Of Limitations when it comes to crimes against the country???

and neither will any of his kids... they should know how complicit they are.

If we just slap him on the wrist, he'll go off and pitch "Mein Space" and ratchet up the agitprop all over again.
I don't want to wager as to if Dems will or won't.

They damn well better, and if Republicans (the sane and principled ones) know what's good for them, they'll help.
Prophylaxis, it's just that simple. We MUST destroy the virus, and we must destroy Trump's cancer, because this nation won't survive another onslaught of his kind in four years, no matter what political lean comes with it.
We must make it impossible for him to regroup, regrow and pull off a triumphant return a la some failed housepainter.

I hear you mocking Joe.
Look, he wasn't my first choice but the one thing Joe is capable of doing, if he doesn't trip over himself, is pull us out of the pandemic.
If he can pull off a reset button on the pandemic, he can use that political capital to negotiate solutions that both sides will be at least somewhat satisfied with on other issues.

The Dems won' t but the justice departments, federal and state , may.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go so far as guaranteeing it. But the chances of him winning I think would be slim.

Constitutional scholars have disagreed on whether he can be convicted after leaving office. Perhaps that’s why they feel an urgency to get it done before he does. The wording involving impeachment addresses removing a president from office. How can you remove someone that’s already gone?

If we can't prosecute a US President who incites an insurrection against our United States then every single one of us is a *****.

It's very typical to see people like you immediately jump to the "idolized Trump" when I've said he's going to be a one -term president since 2017.

a prolific poster like you? how remiss of me not to have memorized all your posts!

I do need to ask, what does saying he was going to be a one term president have with being a Trump worshiper?

I wouldn’t go so far as guaranteeing it. But the chances of him winning I think would be slim.

Constitutional scholars have disagreed on whether he can be convicted after leaving office. Perhaps that’s why they feel an urgency to get it done before he does. The wording involving impeachment addresses removing a president from office. How can you remove someone that’s already gone?

The alternative to the following, addressing your skepticism, would be that a POTUS who engages in political crimes cannot be held accountable by congress if the offenses he commits occur late in his term. Trump has now been impeached twice for abuses of office of the same motive, misusing his office for the political purpose of staying in the office regardless of the vote result or on an even playing field compared to his opponent. IOW, Biden lacked the leverage, compared to the sitting POTUS Trump, of a $400 million miltary aid shakedown after announcing to the world Putin was trusted over U.S. Intel agencies contrary findings, formidable leverage against the new President of Ukraine to do Trump's bidding. It is an absurd argument that is opposite a statute of limitations to claim a political accountability trial cannot occur after the expiration of the accused office holder's term in office!

The Senate has conducted past trials after officials have resigned or left office

"...The text of the Constitution’s pardon clauses does not directly address late impeachability. Article II, Section 4 states: “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” On its face, this says only that officeholders are removed if in office when convicted; it does not say that an official must still be in office at the time of his or her impeachment and conviction. Congress has used this clause to limit impeachment to people who were officers at the time they committed their offenses, not to people who were officers at the time of their trial.
....The first impeachment trial under the new Constitution, in 1798, was of an ex-official: Sen. William Blount had conspired to give the British control over then-Spanish Florida and parts of French Louisiana. As soon as the plot was exposed, the House impeached him. The Senate expelled him soon after. At his impeachment trial, Blount’s lawyers argued Blount could not be tried because he was no longer a senator. That argument failed. Blount was ultimately acquitted by a vote of 14-11, but on the basis that senators are not “officers” subject to impeachment in the first place.

An even stronger precedent is the 1876 case of ex-secretary of war William Belknap. After his corrupt scheme to sell a post as Indian agent was revealed to the House, Belknap quickly resigned before he could be impeached. But the House impeached the “late Secretary of War” anyway. The Senate debated late impeachability for over a month before voting 37-29 that it had the power to try an ex-officer. Belknap was nonetheless narrowly acquitted. Based on senators’ statements, there probably would have been enough votes to convict Belknap if he had not already left office. But the Senate did decide it had jurisdiction — in the end, it determined only that Belknap shouldn’t be convicted, not that he couldn’t be..."

Last edited:
The alternative to the following, addressing your skepticism, would be that a POTUS who engages in political crimes cannot be held accountable by congress if the offenses he commits occur late in his term. Trump has now been impeached twice for abuses of office of the same motive, misusing his office for the political purpose of staying in the office regardless of the vote result or on an even playing field compared to his opponent. IOW, Biden lacked the leverage of a $400 million miltary aid shakedown after announcing to the world Putin was trusted over U.S. Intel agencies contrary findings, formidable leverage against the new President of Ukraine to do Trump's bidding. It is an absurd argument that is opposite a statute of limitations to claim a political accountability trial cannot occur after the expiration of the accused office holder's term in office!

The Senate has conducted past trials after officials have resigned or left office

"...The text of the Constitution’s pardon clauses does not directly address late impeachability. Article II, Section 4 states: “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” On its face, this says only that officeholders are removed if in office when convicted; it does not say that an official must still be in office at the time of his or her impeachment and conviction. Congress has used this clause to limit impeachment to people who were officers at the time they committed their offenses, not to people who were officers at the time of their trial.
....The first impeachment trial under the new Constitution, in 1798, was of an ex-official: Sen. William Blount had conspired to give the British control over then-Spanish Florida and parts of French Louisiana. As soon as the plot was exposed, the House impeached him. The Senate expelled him soon after. At his impeachment trial, Blount’s lawyers argued Blount could not be tried because he was no longer a senator. That argument failed. Blount was ultimately acquitted by a vote of 14-11, but on the basis that senators are not “officers” subject to impeachment in the first place.

An even stronger precedent is the 1876 case of ex-secretary of war William Belknap. After his corrupt scheme to sell a post as Indian agent was revealed to the House, Belknap quickly resigned before he could be impeached. But the House impeached the “late Secretary of War” anyway. The Senate debated late impeachability for over a month before voting 37-29 that it had the power to try an ex-officer. Belknap was nonetheless narrowly acquitted. Based on senators’ statements, there probably would have been enough votes to convict Belknap if he had not already left office. But the Senate did decide it had jurisdiction — in the end, it determined only that Belknap shouldn’t be convicted, not that he couldn’t be..."
No it doesn’t say that. That’s why I said Constitutional scholars disagree. Inserting language that doesn’t exist requires the S.C. to decide the interpretation. If it does happen I imagine Trump will challenge it in court. Is there any constitutional language that prevents him?

I guarantee it because even if the Senate does not convict him for this one, his long history of crimes certainly can result in being locked up for life.

Conviction can be either simply firing a sitting federal office holder (in this case the president) or disqualifying him from holding any public elected position from now on. Obviously, the latter is what everyone knows should happen. Is there anything in the Constitution that prohibits a conviction of an impeached president after his term expired for that purpose?

Oh, yes!

The Dems took it as a personal insult when they lost in 2016.

They feel that they are entitled to rule this country.

So they will pursue him, prosecute him, and persecute him until he dies. Then they will go after his family one by one.

TDS is an incurable disease.

Back
Top Bottom