• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will CIVIL SUITS follow Kyle Rittenhouse after his NOT GUILTY verdict today?

Will CIVIL SUITS follow Kyle Rittenhouse after his NOT GUILTY verdict today?

• Yes

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the reason we wouldn't be sued? Good lord, righties (not you) are getting scarier by the minute. And they say that the Rittenhouse verdicts haven't emboldened them. :oops:

It’s not a matter of “righties”, it’s a matter of what civil actions lawyers will pursue on a contingency basis. If someone sued me they would have a hard time collecting on any judgement awarded to them. The state of Maryland did, but could only collect my federal income tax refunds - so I stopped filing for them and let the feds keep it as a ‘tip’.

It’s not a matter of “righties”, it’s a matter of what civil actions lawyers will pursue on a contingency basis. If someone sued me they would have a hard time collecting on any judgement awarded to them. The state of Maryland did, but could only collect my federal income tax refunds - so I stopped filing for them.

None of what you're saying is making righties look like anything other than attackers of free speech. Ironic, cause they're the ones always blathering that it's under attack.

None of what you're saying is making righties look like anything other than attackers of free speech. Ironic, cause they're the ones always blathering that it's under attack.

Freedom of speech prevents the government from taking action on protected speech, it’s not a limit on suing private parties for libel or slander.

No, they have no civil case against Rittenhouse. Rittenhouse should sue the city and mainstream media outlets for slandering his name.

I haven't been following their coverage of the trial, what statements constitute slander?

Freedom of speech prevents the government from taking action on protected speech, it’s not a limit on suing private parties for libel or slander.
No, but it does set a high bar for actually proving a libel or slander case. My recollection is that the statements must be false, the person must have known them to be false, and they had to be said with malice or intent to cause harm.

Who called him that and in what context? Can you link an example?
The president of the NAACP called him a "murderer" and said he "committed murder" that is defamation (slander) per se. actionable

OJ's trial wasn't a self defense case. Not even close to the same thing.
He was found not guilty in a criminal case. He lost the civil case. The criminal defense is irrelevant.

He killed 2 people wounding another with his AR-15. Will the families of these 3 file civil suits against Rittenhouse?

Don't know but I certainly hope so.

The president of the NAACP called him a "murderer" and said he "committed murder" that is defamation (slander) per se. actionable
Right but the reason I ask for example is that the devil is in the details. Can you link the statement? With the verdict released google mostly turns out reactions to the verdict.

Who called him that and in what context? Can you link an example?

Here is one article with some examples, but I’m sure that many others could (and likely will) be found.

This one was a bit surprising, considering that they lean right:

One of the Kenosha protesters killed by a gun-toting vigilante was identified Wednesday as a talented skateboarder who died while trying to disarm the gunman.

Anthony Huber, 26, of Silver Lake, Wis., has been identified as one of two people allegedly killed by teen militia member Kyle Rittenhouse during violent protests in Kenosha Tuesday night, a local CBS affiliate reported.

Last edited:
Too early to tell. But if righties had anything to do with it, anyone who called Rittenhouse a vigilante a murderer or a vigilante should be sued. Which includes people right here on DP.

I thought the Right was all in favor of free speech. :rolleyes:

The problem is that some of what people said might be considered defamation which is not protected free speech

I suspect that MSNBC is going to be writing him a check.
Can he sue Biden? He called Rittenhouse a White Supremacist. Or is he safe from civil suits while Prez?

Here is one article with some examples, but I’m sure that many others could (and likely will) be found.

This one was a bit surprising, considering that they lean right:

One of the Kenosha protesters killed by a gun-toting vigilante was identified Wednesday as a talented skateboarder who died while trying to disarm the gunman.

Anthony Huber, 26, of Silver Lake, Wis., has been identified as one of two people allegedly killed by teen militia member Kyle Rittenhouse during violent protests in Kenosha Tuesday night, a local CBS affiliate reported.

The first one is a possibility but the whole "statement of fact" part of the standard is always tough.

The second one doesn't appear to remotely qualify.

That's the reason we wouldn't be sued? Good lord, righties (not you) are getting scarier by the minute. And they say that the Rittenhouse verdicts haven't emboldened them. :oops:
No one claimed that you would be sued. Except you. You are the one spreading nonsense here.

No one on the right is attacking free speech. Quit lying.

This kid's reputation has been trashed by public figures.
That's not free speech. That's stupidity. That's irresponsibility.

Don't know but I certainly hope so.
Why? That makes no sense. KR was found to have acted in self defense. Why should people who assaulted him be able to sue? Try to use reason rather than hyper partisanship for once.

The first one is a possibility but the whole "statement of fact" part of the standard is always tough.

The second one doesn't appear to remotely qualify.

I think that “gun toting vigilante” and “teen militia member” are likely over the line.

This kid's reputation has been trashed by public figures.
That's not free speech. That's stupidity. That's irresponsibility.
Phys is just upset that his side lost again so he is just lashing out. The temper tantrum will die out eventually

They have all the incentives to do so, and, we live in strong enough information bubbles that there are plenty out there who will support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom