• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will any near future presidents have high approval ratings?

Wil near future president be able to maintain approval ratings above 50%?

• Yes, I'm an optimist

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, Probably not

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • It's the endtimes for american leadership

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MKULTRABOY

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The buzz in political science has been popular polarisation. Political leadership has become more polarised and it has arguably led to polarisation amongst constituents. Many theorize that the trend will be for it to continue on the increase.

Will presidents of the near future be able to maintain popularity ratings above 50%?

Nope. With how partisan things are becoming I can't see a president with a high approval rating bar another 9/11 type event.

Nope. With how partisan things are becoming I can't see a president with a high approval rating bar another 9/11 type event.

I'm not sure, I feel presidents would likely be held responsible for a new terrorist attack. Unless they're republicans or something. :lol:

Yes... We are going to have a republican president so awesome, everyone will love him.
:2dancing:

I'm not sure, I feel presidents would likely be held responsible for a new terrorist attack. Unless they're republicans or something. :lol:
Ever think that partisan hacks, such as youself, might be part of the problem? :roll:

Ever think that partisan hacks, such as youself, might be part of the problem? :roll:

Firstly, note I do not have a lean.
Secondly, do you think Obama would gain popularity if another 9/11 happened?

Firstly, note I do not have a lean.
Secondly, do you think Obama would gain popularity if another 9/11 happened?
You lean so damn far you keep falling on your left ear. :doh

I probably qualify as left, but I define myself more as not being on the right.

Polls tend tend to show when a major event happens people rally behind the President.

YouTube - Mark Penn Thinks Obama Needs Another Oklahoma City Bombing... Staged Terror Possible?

This jerk thinks so. Is MSNBC pushing violence? If this was said on fox it would be all over the MSM

MSNBC pushing violence? As in you're accusing it of being complicit in a leftist terror state? I think you read into it a bit far.
As far as major events go, yes people would likely rally behind the prez. If it were a major terrorist attack people may hold Obama responsible in my eyes.

I think it will be possible. Barring some extrodinary circumstance, ala 9/11, I think its going to take a President who wins the Presidency by clearly articulating an actual platform and presenting himself honestly so that his win comes about from people voting for his actual policies and beliefs rather than perhaps voting against a party or voting for a persona or aura. If that happens and, once in power, they stick to what they ran on and remain politically in the same location they ran on then theoritically they should be able to turn a positive approval rating as you will not have jaded people jumping off the wagon. If said policies manage to cause positive things for the country then theoritically the approval rating should increase as people come around to the President simply based on the good situations.

I think its possible, but not definite. But I'd say yes, within the next 20 years there should be a President who for the majority of his Presidency manages a high 50+% approval rating.

While I suppose anything is possible, I find it unlikely, not because of partisanship, but because of the generally low quality of our politicians in this country. The overwhelming majority are political hacks, out to fulfill their own personal agenda and grab power, nobody goes into politics to serve the public good anymore.

You lean so damn far you keep falling on your left ear. :doh

The problem is with those who lean BACK, rather than FORWARD.
Very few Americans are worthy of judging our President, so these polls should be assigned to the scrap heap.

While I suppose anything is possible, I find it unlikely, not because of partisanship, but because of the generally low quality of our politicians in this country. The overwhelming majority are political hacks, out to fulfill their own personal agenda and grab power, nobody goes into politics to serve the public good anymore.
I only wish that this was not true, but it is ,in reality, all too true.
But are the people that much better?

The problem is with those who lean BACK, rather than FORWARD.
No, the problem is with those that only lean forward. Maybe you should try to actually move forward instead of just leaning. ;)

Very few Americans are worthy of judging our President, so these polls should be assigned to the scrap heap.
How do you propose selecting those that get to vote for the USA President since you have determined that the great unwashed are not qualified?

Until we as citizens actually have a grasp on policy, the education to understand politics and economics, and reasonable expectations of our leaders... no, there will not be a truly popular leader. And it's not their fault. It's ours. For being idiots.

Until we as citizens actually have a grasp on policy, the education to understand politics and economics, and reasonable expectations of our leaders... no, there will not be a truly popular leader. And it's not their fault. It's ours. For being idiots.

Harsh! But generally true.

I only wish that this was not true, but it is ,in reality, all too true.
But are the people that much better?

Of course not, the people are, by and large, stupid, short-sighted and easily distracted. Not only do they elect these asshat politicians in the first place, they see what a crappy job they do and then the RE-ELECT THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I find it funny when people, especially the far-right-wing, complain that the government isn't doing the will of the people. Sure they are, they got elected fair and square and they keep getting re-elected. People get the government they deserve and when the people are stupid and gullible, look at what we get.

Of course presidents will be able to have high approval ratings in the future. It just depends on the circumstances. You're forgetting that Obama himself had an approval rating above 50% just a little over a year ago...but even if we don't count that and assume it was part of his honeymoon upon taking office, you don't have to look back very far to find other examples. From 2001 until early 2004, Bush had an approval rating above 50%. And I don't think partisanship has anything to do with it. Bill Clinton reached his peak approval rating (nearly 65%) during his impeachment - the ultimate exercise in partisanship.

Even now, in the midst of the worst recession in recent memory and immediately after voters just punished the Democratic Congress, Obama's approval rating hovers around 45%. Is it really so difficult to imagine that if the economy was looking better, that his approval rating would be a few points higher and push him above the 50% mark?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom