• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Will any nation ever attempt an attack on American soil (not terriorst)?

Will any nation ever attempt an attack on American soil (not terriorst)?

• Yes (Please explain your answer in comments)

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Arch Enemy said:
That'd be political suicide for North Korea. Plus, they wouldn't be able to hold the American Citizens intact, we'd have uprisings before they captured our country. I'd be more concern with North Korea invading Japan then the United States, honestly, who wants bunch of Yanks and 'Necks?

Political suicide? Or just regular kind.

oh..

I think I forced a smile for that.. the voices are too outrageous for my liking.

I voted yes despite the fact that it is highly unlikely.China is becoming the worlds second superpower and although they are still officially a Communist state,they have without doubt the most rapidly developing Capitalist economy.
Capitalism in the west has to eventually fail,it simply can't maintain it's present momentum.Because it is still in it's infancy in the far East,when it all goes "belly up" here(I live in UK,but same applies)that is when China in particular will seize the opportunity to gain world dominance.

Ever is a very long time. Vanity of vanities and all that

Androvski said:
I voted yes despite the fact that it is highly unlikely.China is becoming the worlds second superpower and although they are still officially a Communist state,they have without doubt the most rapidly developing Capitalist economy.
Capitalism in the west has to eventually fail,it simply can't maintain it's present momentum.Because it is still in it's infancy in the far East,when it all goes "belly up" here(I live in UK,but same applies)that is when China in particular will seize the opportunity to gain world dominance.
Capitalism in the west has to eventually fail. This is not an original thought. It has been expressed by quite a few "big" minds all through the twentieth century. Sort of like that "end of the world" thing that keeps coming back.

Fantasea said:
Capitalism in the west has to eventually fail. This is not an original thought. It has been expressed by quite a few "big" minds all through the twentieth century. Sort of like that "end of the world" thing that keeps coming back.
I know that Iam not the one to foment this idea,and I don't really think that the United States will ever actually be militarialy invaded,or Europe for that matter either(although as was said,"ever is a long time").
China is a rapidly growing economic superpower and has been a military superpower all along.It is merely hiding behind the cloak of Communism.
It is economically I think we will fall(the west in general not just USA),too much avarice,over production and not enough resources to keep things going as they stand.
What will happen to the environment with an increasingly mechanised Chinese population is another a concern too(cars replacing bicycles).

If we ever think otherwise we are in deep trouble.

Androvski said:
I know that Iam not the one to foment this idea,and I don't really think that the United States will ever actually be militarialy invaded,or Europe for that matter either(although as was said,"ever is a long time").
China is a rapidly growing economic superpower and has been a military superpower all along.It is merely hiding behind the cloak of Communism.
It is economically I think we will fall(the west in general not just USA),too much avarice,over production and not enough resources to keep things going as they stand.
What will happen to the environment with an increasingly mechanised Chinese population is another a concern too(cars replacing bicycles).
If one looks deeply enough, economic factors will be found at the root of most wars in which idealology is not the dominant factor.

WWII, as an example, found Japan struggling to find raw materials that were not present in its island empire; Germany yearned for "Liebensraum". Both became belligerent when it appeared that diplomacy would not produce the desired results.

This is not to side with either, but simply to acknowledge a fact. The premise had been defined many years earlier:

"War is simply a continuation of political intercourse, with the addition of other means." —Karl von Clausewitz

The current unpleasantness in Iraq has as its genesis the invasion of Kuwait for purely economic reasons and the failure of the Saddam Hussein regime to abide by the terms of the cease-fire agreement for economic reasons. The duplicity of a number of the member countries of the Desert Storm coalition, for economic reasons, has simply exacerbated the situation.

So long as China is satisfied with progress on the economic front, it may rattle a saber from time to time as a reminder of its muscle, however it will remain content to rake in the bucks.

Just to state my opnion and not the current debate at the moment, yes, eventually the US will be attacked. Not anytime soon, I believe, but it is inevitable. Most likely, it will be China, since they are the US's biggest rival in the world. Yes, we are better bit by bit, man by man (as in: military training, education), but the fact remains that China has about 20% of the globe's population. That, and the lower wages, etc, makes everyhting much cheaper, so China can easily compete with the US. The Us and China will both play their cards so as to avoid conflict, because right now, the US could defeat China somewhat easily. Later on, however, that will not be the case...=0

neccy60 said:
Just to state my opnion and not the current debate at the moment, yes, eventually the US will be attacked. Not anytime soon, I believe, but it is inevitable. Most likely, it will be China, since they are the US's biggest rival in the world. Yes, we are better bit by bit, man by man (as in: military training, education), but the fact remains that China has about 20% of the globe's population. That, and the lower wages, etc, makes everyhting much cheaper, so China can easily compete with the US. The Us and China will both play their cards so as to avoid conflict, because right now, the US could defeat China somewhat easily. Later on, however, that will not be the case...=0
I doubt that the US could easily defeat China,even now.In a nuclear conflict the US could destroy China lets say 50 times over and China could destroy the US lets say 10 times over.Result=both countries destroyed.
When it comes to regular warfare numbers will always prevail,just look at the Soviet union against Nazi Germany during WW2.
German forces were superior in terms of the quality of their equipment and training,they were simply overwhelmed by numbers.
The US could never compete with China in overland warfare,they simply
haven't got the "Man-Womanpower".260 million population vs how many?

Androvski said:
I doubt that the US could easily defeat China,even now.In a nuclear conflict the US could destroy China lets say 50 times over and China could destroy the US lets say 10 times over.Result=both countries destroyed.
When it comes to regular warfare numbers will always prevail,just look at the Soviet union against Nazi Germany during WW2.
German forces were superior in terms of the quality of their equipment and training,they were simply overwhelmed by numbers.
The US could never compete with China in overland warfare,they simply
haven't got the "Man-Womanpower".260 million population vs how many?
Will it come down to a re-play of the cold war days when each side had a finger poised to press the button for a nuclear retaliation if it detected incoming missiles?

The acronym in those days was MAD which stood for Mutually Assured Destruction. The idea was, that by ensuring that there could be no winner, neither side would shoot first. Sort of a high stakes stalemate.

As China continues to emerge from its shell, its economy continues to grow, and it's people become more and more aware of what goes on in the rest of the developed world, the odds of anything untoward happening grow longer and longer.

Japan gained through commerce what it could not gain through war. The observant Chinese did not have to learn that lesson the hard way. They are making rapid gains through their commercial efforts. They will, of course, keep their military at the ready, but it will be many generations before their ambitions may require its use, if ever.

But by then, MAD will be de rigueur, and that will neutralize everything.

Back
Top Bottom