• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will America’s Police Become Federales?

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The act would also diminish police transparency and accountability because it would regulate disciplinary policies through which police and sheriff departments address alleged abuse and misconduct. The act would strengthen unions that have a long record of siding almost unconditionally with their members against such allegations. For example, in June a young black woman who had jaywalked was punched in the face by a Seattle policeman. The president of the local police union declared, “He [the Seattle officer] did nothing wrong. If anything, I think he maybe waited a little too long to engage in force.”

Equally, when local authorities attempt to correct police abuse, police unions are often the greatest barrier. The Syracuse Post Standard (July 6) reported, “Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner has taken courageous steps to rid the police department of misbehavior that sullies the image of every officer.” Nevertheless, she has come “under withering criticism from the police union for refusing to sign a commendation” for a detective whom a federal jury found guilty last year of using excessive force. On July 19 the Austin police union urged the city council not to accept a $750,000 settlement with the family of a man killed by an officer last year. In many cases, police unions also act to block public and media scrutiny of accused officers.

Will America’s Police Become Federales? | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

My stance on Unions is that they should only be limited to the private sector and addition to being a an obstacle to cracking down on corruption there are those who believe in "The police are always right" mentality.

I'm not sure what I think about this proposed legislation. I don't think local government has done a very good job of negotiating with the local unions as police salaries and pension benefits have grown beyond our ability to sustain them. Can the Federal government do any better?

Your source is pretty slanted -- referring to the Seattle jaywalker that got punched in the face. Saw that video...isn't there always a camera. I agree with what the union said -- he should have used force sooner. This copper had three women allll over him.

I remember the air traffic controller strike when Reagan canned their butts for striking. But we haven't had a president like him in way too many years.

Your source is pretty slanted -- referring to the Seattle jaywalker that got punched in the face. Saw that video...isn't there always a camera. I agree with what the union said -- he should have used force sooner. This copper had three women allll over him.

The Freeman questions all authority at all levels, which is the way it should be.

Agreed. But the Freeman is obligated to find the truth before he questions.

Back
Top Bottom