• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will ads like this be the downfall of Donald in the general?

Will these types of ads give Hillary the winning edge?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Ad's don't really work anymore.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

RBIII

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Many left supporters always tout that Trump has "no chance" in the general, but never really give any reason as to why they believe that to be true. They say because he's sexist, megalomaniac, racist, etc (sure those are reasons, but the same could be said about many leaders)...I suppose this ad embodies many of those characteristics and i could see how it could be very effective against him. Do you think ads like this and others will obliterate him in the general?

Will he get through this just as he has gotten through everything else so far? Does the potential "good" he may bring on the business side outweigh the "bad" of his words/attitude?

Stole this ad from another post, but thought it was worth its own discussion as this is what we can expect heading into the general.

I'm thinking he may be in deep doo doo if this is just the tip of the ice berg of what could come up against him. Most of the clips in this ad doesn't even go back that far.

Guy being honest is a bad thing?

Trump supporters won't care. There will be four types of voters come November:

Trump Supporters
Anti-Trump
Clinton Supporters
Anti-Clinton

Independents won't vote. They just won't. They'll see the choices and just stay home.

Not the point, but i think you already know that.

That is why it won't work.. Because Trump is right.. Doesn't matter how politically incorrect it is..

Yes, it is. Especially when that "honesty" belongs to a bigot, misogynist, sexist, xenophobe that isn't respectable enough to keep his detestable thoughts to himself.

Many left supporters always tout that Trump has "no chance" in the general, but never really give any reason as to why they believe that to be true. They say because he's sexist, megalomaniac, racist, etc (sure those are reasons, but the same could be said about many leaders)...I suppose this ad embodies many of those characteristics and i could see how it could be very effective against him. Do you think ads like this and others will obliterate him in the general?

Will he get through this just as he has gotten through everything else so far? Does the potential "good" he may bring on the business side outweigh the "bad" of his words/attitude?

Stole this ad from another post, but thought it was worth its own discussion as this is what we can expect heading into the general.

I'm thinking he may be in deep doo doo if this is just the tip of the ice berg of what could come up against him. Most of the clips in this ad doesn't even go back that far.

This is actually a very strong indication of a different aspect of the race that Trump brings to the campaign. And that's the destruction of the down ticket. Every single quote and outrageous statement from Trump will be asked and plastered in every lower ticket race where the Republican has even passively endorsed Trump.

And while Trump supporters are going to support Trump no matter what bull**** that man says or does, I wonder whether their loyalty extends to every other Republican on the ballot.

Trump supporters won't care. There will be four types of voters come November:

Trump Supporters
Anti-Trump
Clinton Supporters
Anti-Clinton

Independents won't vote. They just won't. They'll see the choices and just stay home.

I agree with all but the bold, independents will vote, seems like everyone wants a piece of the action this year. Do you think ads will matter this election? Or will debates and speeches sway the most voters? Or maybe something else i haven't mentioned i suppose.

Do you think ads like this and others will obliterate him in the general?

It will have some sort of impact, it would be foolish to assume everyone will look at those comments and dismiss them for whatever reason.

Perhaps our bigger issue her is not just the ads expected to go after Trump's character and background, but the counter to that going after Hillary's character and background. Assuming for a moment that it does end up Trump vs. Hillary with no other significant 3rd party candidate then things are shaping up to be quite ugly across the board.

For a while there I assumed that scenario would lead to a very low voter turn out giving Hillary the slight edge, but now I am still considering the option that many vote and mainly out of fear of one or the other. Hillary still has that slight edge nationally (going over the polling averages available,) but it still looks to be a campaign season we will be talking about for a long time.

In this case we literally would see a woman go up against a Republican with an arguably terrible background in relation to women given that ad example. But that is just one flavor of what to expect, as at the same time we get to see a career politician, Wall Street insider, DC insider, and Establishment power supported Democrat go up against a vocal, unpredictable, Wall Street / Real Estate Billionaire, and Anti-Republican Establishment candidate. There are more levels to this as well, and not a one of them is any legitimate interest in economics or the Middle and Lower Classes.

I would say get the popcorn handy, but we may all be crying by November saying "is this the best this nation has?"

Trump? Honest?

You're kidding, right?

First, he claimed he would tax imports from China

Then he said it was not a tax
TRUMP: The 45% tariff is a threat. It was not a tax
Republican Debate in Miami

Then he denied saying it

CAVUTO: Mr. Trump, sometimes maybe in the heat of the campaign, you say things and you have to dial them back. Last week, the New York Times editorial board quoted as saying that you would oppose, "up to 45 percent tariff on Chinese goods."

TRUMP: That's wrong. They were wrong. It's the New York Times, they are always wrong.
Transcript: Sixth Republican top-tier debate 2016 - CBS News

That may be your opinion, but it is still foolish to diminish how those ads will impact those who disagree with you. Perhaps even Independents who may not have someone to really vote for other than purely out of fear of the other candidate.

It will have some sort of impact, it would be foolish to assume everyone will look at those comments and dismiss them for whatever reason.

Perhaps our bigger issue her is not just the ads expected to go after Trump's character and background, but the counter to that going after Hillary's character and background. Assuming for a moment that it does end up Trump vs. Hillary with no other significant 3rd party candidate then things are shaping up to be quite ugly across the board.

For a while there I assumed that scenario would lead to a very low voter turn out giving Hillary the slight edge, but now I am still considering the option that many vote and mainly out of fear of one or the other. Hillary still has that slight edge nationally (going over the polling averages available,) but it still looks to be a campaign season we will be talking about for a long time.

In this case we literally would see a woman go up against a Republican with an arguably terrible background in relation to women given that ad example. But that is just one flavor of what to expect, as at the same time we get to see a career politician, Wall Street insider, DC insider, and Establishment power supported Democrat go up against a vocal, unpredictable, Wall Street / Real Estate Billionaire, and Anti-Republican Establishment candidate. There are more levels to this as well, and not a one of them is any legitimate interest in economics or the Middle and Lower Classes.

I would say get the popcorn handy, but we may all be crying by November saying "is this the best this nation has?"

What we need here is a good analogy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trump = Tyson
Hillary = Ali
( No disrespect to either)

Once in a lifetime battle coming up. :popcorn2:

I agree with all but the bold, independents will vote, seems like everyone wants a piece of the action this year. Do you think ads will matter this election? Or will debates and speeches sway the most voters? Or maybe something else i haven't mentioned i suppose.

I don't think it will matter what is said or where. I think Trump and anti-Clinton people will vote for Trump. I think Anti-Trump and Clinton supporters vote for Clinton. I think, independents stay home.

Trump? Honest?

You're kidding, right?

First, he claimed he would tax imports from China

Then he said it was not a tax

Then he denied saying it

I mean it is a threat and a promise depending on how China responds isn't it? It can be both at the same time.

I mean it is a threat and a promise depending on how China responds isn't it? It can be both at the same time.

Possibly, but it can't be a tax, not a tax and "I didn't say that" all at the same time.

I don't think it will matter what is said or where. I think Trump and anti-Clinton people will vote for Trump. I think Anti-Trump and Clinton supporters vote for Clinton. I think, independents stay home.

Sure. The point being, however, that ads like the OP will probably prove effective at turning independents into Anti-Trump voters.

Possibly, but it can't be a tax, not a tax and "I didn't say that" all at the same time.

He throws out ideas, and "journalist" try and corner him on his statements even though he constantly reminds them that you have to be flexible, willing to walk, and be unpredictable at times. More importantly, there is no way to answer some of these questions because it depends on the reception of the other party and what they are willing to concede. So if a person is charged with a "you said you will tax (China for Example)". He says no, " i said we will if we aren't treated fairly". Which to me means it can be all those things at the same time.

Ads like this might be effective if we didn't know who Trump is, but we do, so there is no surprise he said those things.

Did you see how long ago most, if not all, of those were?

If Obama being a drug addict didn't hurt his chances, why would you think some statements by Trump would hurt his?

So far the Trump campaign has turned everything we knew about campaigning on its head. He's not a Conservative but a big chunk of Conservatives have moved to his camp. His social policies lean decidedly liberal so he's likely picking up some of the Libertarian vote. He's got money and name recognition so voters who flock to the popular candidate have gravitated to him.

He hasn't come up with a coherent policy on ANYTHING yet he's pulling in more votes than we've ever seen. At first I figured there were a bunch of Democrats voting for him because Hillary had her end locked and maybe that's the case but it's looking more and more like he's just pulling in the "Anybody but a politician" voter. At this point I figure there's pretty much nothing that can come out of his mouth that will cut into his popularity too dramatically.

He throws out ideas, and "journalist" try and corner him on his statements even though he constantly reminds them that you have to be flexible, willing to walk, and be unpredictable at times.

First, why the quotation marks? That's the point of a journalist when interviewing a political candidate is to review the statements made by said candidate.

Second, those attributes are literally some of the worst possible features for the leader of a sovereign nation that expects to make international agreements that rely on predictable actions, and especially a willingness to abide by previous statements and agreements.

Sure. The point being, however, that ads like the OP will probably prove effective at turning independents into Anti-Trump voters.

I think Trump will prove more effective at that that ads ever could

I think Trump will prove more effective at that that ads ever could

Well, that's why the most effective ads are just shorts or quotes of his.

First, why the quotation marks? That's the point of a journalist when interviewing a political candidate is to review the statements made by said candidate.

Second, those attributes are literally some of the worst possible features for the leader of a sovereign nation that expects to make international agreements that rely on predictable actions, and especially a willingness to abide by previous statements and agreements.

Quotations because it's sometimes hard to tell if the interviews are actual journalist or hired guns sometimes. It's also not uncommon that many of these "journalist" turn out to be frauds.

To the second part, i somewhat disagree. When a new Owner/Manager of an organization takes over because of terrible performance, which is why Donald has rose to the top, it is perceived that this country has been ran terribly, it is not uncommon to completely revamp how things are done, including the renegotiation of previous deals. An international agreement is still an agreement at it's basic level and old agreements often change under new management.

Do you want the world to see that as your representative? Every American will ask themselves that question, and there is little doubt that's how the world sees Trump. Some will be happy with the prospect. Most of us will want to actively take a hand in preventing that from happening, or even coming close to happening. Based on that alone, I would feel a lot better with Bernie and his polling numbers. Still, I'm fairly confident, regardless of who ends up on the D ticket, that the majority of Americans will choose not to be represented by that.

And to make it even worse for Trump, he made a major gaffe when he announce that he would let the Heritage Foundation pick his SCOTUS nominees. With that 1 move he picked up one of the heavier pieces of baggage that comes with the typical conservative platform (that he's not even running on), and imo he didn't really get anything for it. Anyone who doesn't want 3-4 ultraconservative justices to be phased in over the next 4 years will rush to the polls to have a hand in stopping that. Women, minorities, progressives ... all with huge anti-trump majorities also. It's going to be a landslide, it won't matter if it's Shillary. Martin O'mally or Rhode Islands very own Lincoln Chaffee could beat Trump.

Back
Top Bottom