• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will a change in administrations elevate the quality of discourse in America?

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Personally, I kind of doubt it.

Trumpism might not be pure nazism but as the saying goes, it's "close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades".
Thus, even if we win, even if we win massively, deprogramming Trumpism is going to look a lot like the denazification of Germany, which as we can see, was not 100% successful.

So it looks like we're stuck with Trumpians until they start to die off or until Trump burns the rest of them to the ground for not giving him the win he so desperately wants. And it also guarantees astronomical growth of far right domestic terrorism.

The US is going to go through some things in the next short period of time......

8 years of Obama and 8 years of Trump.

The political landscape will be decided in 2024.

Can Trump start a dynasty? Who takes the throne?

Don't think anything is going to change our trajectory at this point. Nobody is going to ride in and rescue the poor citizens, we did it to ourselves and we get to enjoy the ride down!

Trumpism might not be pure nazism but as the saying goes, it's "close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades".
Thus, even if we win, even if we win massively, deprogramming Trumpism is going to look a lot like the denazification of Germany, which as we can see, was not 100% successful.

So it looks like we're stuck with Trumpians until they start to die off or until Trump burns the rest of them to the ground for not giving him the win he so desperately wants. And it also guarantees astronomical growth of far right domestic terrorism.

It was very common for Nazis to have daughters who converted to Judaism, wasn't it? I don't remember.

many of these old heads in this site, are already on the downhill slop... trying to hang on to their Child Hood Groomed In Jim Crow Ideology. The others among Trump supporters, will find out they are not so smart when the nations cut back on Buying U.S. Debt.. and that money they worship starts to dwindle...

Biden/Harris already have a plan to move in the "greed direction"... those on the Right Wing, will still be playing games hoping the fictions of the stock ticker can fill their pockets. While a whole new Industrial system grows up around them....

Meh...depends entirely on whether the left does a better job of ignoring the sour grapes better than the right did. :shrug: Takes two to tango, and all of that.

I am a little more optimistic than that. It won't change immediately. But there are plenty of things we can entertain ourselves with. IMO, the "Entertainment President" is a one off. I think we have had enough of that for awhile or at least most of us have. Give it a couple years...maybe a whole 4. IMO it will get better again.

If we let Donnie have a lame duck term, all bets are off. We may never recover as a Democracy after 8 years of Donnie Boy. Remember Princess Ivanka and Price Don Jr are waiting in the wings.

If I’m employed by the administration I will urge them to move more toward the center. Do MORE for minorities. Show some love and create a party that control American politics more than the Kennedys ever dreamed of.

You heard it here first.

With a Biden win America will return to sanity

The deplorables will crawl back in their hole. We know them now. We know who and what they are. They will need close monitoring because given the opportunity the will vest another trump upon us.

In a free society knowing one’s political standing should never be reason enough to intimidate.

I feel like that’s the society we’ve become though. Mental intimidation.

An ideological war is taking place. Whoever loses is not gonna take it well. I honestly think we are on the precibus of a 2nd civil war. I dont see how a peaceful resolution to our differences is possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably not. The people, the propaganda, the interests, the demagogues, don't change. What will change is that instead of talking about things like thousands of lies from the president, we'll hear from the right about false claims of thousands of lies from the president.

The problem is not trump or trumpism. It's not that dissimilar from when we had a 'tea party' going around the country to disrupt Congressional town halls trying to prevent the ACA from passing. The issue remains the plutocrats and the right-wing noise machine - the propaganda, the demagogues, the media operation. trump doesn't matter any more really than Bush 43 who was no longer an issue out of office.

Technology will ultimately bring us together and back to a more family oriented environment not controlled by mass media.

So it looks like we're stuck with Trumpians until they start to die off or until Trump burns the rest of them to the ground for not giving him the win he so desperately wants. And it also guarantees the astronomical growth of far-right domestic terrorism.

If Fox News would have a change of heart and publically disavow racism and by doing so burn these idiots to the ground it would go a long way to either forcing them to examine their racism or to drive them underground where they crawled out of 10 years ago during the TEAparty rallies.

A change of power in the GOP would also drive them away if they were told that the GOP doesn't want their vote and refuses to pander to their racism and bigotry of anyone who doesn't look like Ward and June Cleaver. I hate the economic ideas of John Kasich but he might just be able to do that if he was the chairman of the GOP post-Trump.

Repealing Citizens United would put a stop to dark monied interests using their billions to foment racism/bigotry as a political tactic as well.
My hyper evengelical neioghbors who home schooled their kids because she didnt want them taiught about sex, secualr ideas of US history or womens rights put up a Trump-Pence sign.

Technology will ultimately bring us together and back to a more family oriented environment not controlled by mass media.

Sure, the way it has so far.
No...sorry...only family will bring us back to a more family oriented environment.
It is going to take effort from the people themselves, and while tech can play a part, it's a tool, not a jewel...or a drug.
Right now it's both a drug and a jewel, because it is taking the place of direct human interaction.

Tech has just cut its teeth sir. Tech and family aren’t mutually exclusive — especially during a wholesale reformation on how we live as humans.

It was very common for Nazis to have daughters who converted to Judaism, wasn't it? I don't remember.

Oh, there you go. Trump and friends exonerated in typical conservative style.

Not wanting their daughters to marry jews was not the worst thing the NAZIs did, G4N. It's not their legacy, a murderous dictator is.

Wake the **** up. Their fascism was bigger than that one point of bigotry and Trump walks that wide path in many ways contrary to American values and human decency.

If Fox News would have a change of heart and publically disavow racism and by doing so burn these idiots to the ground it would go a long way to either forcing them to examine their racism or to drive them underground where they crawled out of 10 years ago during the TEAparty rallies.

A change of power in the GOP would also drive them away if they were told that the GOP doesn't want their vote and refuses to pander to their racism and bigotry of anyone who doesn't look like Ward and June Cleaver. I hate the economic ideas of John Kasich but he might just be able to do that if he was the chairman of the GOP post-Trump.

Repealing Citizens United would put a stop to dark monied interests using their billions to foment racism/bigotry as a political tactic as well.
My hyper evengelical neioghbors who home schooled their kids because she didnt want them taiught about sex, secualr ideas of US history or womens rights put up a Trump-Pence sign.

Well written.

I am a little more optimistic than that. It won't change immediately. But there are plenty of things we can entertain ourselves with. IMO, the "Entertainment President" is a one off. I think we have had enough of that for awhile or at least most of us have. Give it a couple years...maybe a whole 4. IMO it will get better again.

If we let Donnie have a lame duck term, all bets are off. We may never recover as a Democracy after 8 years of Donnie Boy. Remember Princess Ivanka and Price Don Jr are waiting in the wings.
Imho your perspective is naive, no offense. Trump is not a one off, he is a direct consequence of dismissing a large swath of voters.

WADR to you, there is a large group of people in this country who not only feel disenfranctized and ignored but also villianized. This started before trump. Trump is a figurehead for them and if you get rid of him you have won a battle but not the war. It will rage on. Establishment republicans are being primaried out and the freedom caucus grows.
Fyi, democrats are maybe a cycle or 2 behind but there is an internal revolution taking place on the left as well. Bernie and the squad are coming for the pelosi/schummer democrats. The revolution is happening on both sides of the aisle

I'm different, this modern era of polarization and ultra, extreme partisanship didn't begin with Trump. He may have made it worse, but the beginning I would place in the 1990's. It has gotten worse with each successive president.

I believe no one party, no one president can end this on their own. Like the old saying goes, it takes two to tango. I do think Biden is a good start, he has a history of working across the aisle as a senator and long forgotten was the working out between Biden, then VP and McConnell a means to end the government shutdown over the debt ceiling. But both sides must be willing to end this era of politics we're now in.

I don't think Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell are willing nor even want to do so. Their only goal is to stop anything and everything the other party wants or proposes. As long as each party views the other party as this nations worst enemy, that the other party is out to destroy this nation, there will be no compromises and no working together to solve this nations many problems. Most of our problems, neither party wants to solve as they are way too valuable as a campaign tool to fire up their base.

I wonder if Biden can reign in Pelosi and Schumer, the other Democrats who view all Republicans as their number one enemy to even think about working with them to improve this nation. I wonder even after Trump, if the GOP would be willing to work with Democrats, bringing back the old game of give and take and compromise even if the Democrats offer the first fig leaf. I don't think so.

Trump is a result of this new era of polarization and ultra, mega high partisanship. He isn't the cause, but a by product. Biden is a good choice to replace him. But I do think every party leader of both parties needs changing at the same time. The mindset of both parties needs changing. We need to get back to a time when both major parties realized that both wanted a secure, free and prosperous America, their paths might be different, but the goal was the same. Today, both parties want total domination. Not just over the other party, but over all of America.

We're lucky that so far this hasn't turned into a shooting war. But then again, looking at all the recent events, perhaps it has and we just don't want to admit it.

I'm different, this modern era of polarization and ultra, extreme partisanship didn't begin with Trump. He may have made it worse, but the beginning I would place in the 1990's. It has gotten worse with each successive president.

I believe no one party, no one president can end this on their own. Like the old saying goes, it takes two to tango. I do think Biden is a good start, he has a history of working across the aisle as a senator and long forgotten was the working out between Biden, then VP and McConnell a means to end the government shutdown over the debt ceiling. But both sides must be willing to end this era of politics we're now in.

I don't think Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell are willing nor even want to do so. Their only goal is to stop anything and everything the other party wants or proposes. As long as each party views the other party as this nations worst enemy, that the other party is out to destroy this nation, there will be no compromises and no working together to solve this nations many problems. Most of our problems, neither party wants to solve as they are way too valuable as a campaign tool to fire up their base.

I wonder if Biden can reign in Pelosi and Schumer, the other Democrats who view all Republicans as their number enemy to even think about working with them to improve this nation. I wonder even after Trump, if the GOP would be willing to work with Democrats, bringing back the old game of give and take and compromise even if the Democrats offer the first fig leaf. I don't think so.

Trump is a result of this new era of polarization and ultra, mega high partisanship. He isn't the cause, but a by product. Biden is a good choice to replace him. But I do think every party leader of both parties needs changing at the same time. The mindset of both parties needs changing. We need to get back to a time when both major parties realized that both wanted a secure, free and prosperous American, their paths might be different, but the goal was the same. Today, both parties want total domination. Not just over the other party, but over all of America.

We're lucky that so far this hasn't turned into a shooting war. But then again, looking at all the recent events, perhaps it has and we just don't want to admit it.
Do you mark the start of it when the relublicans impeached clinton?
I ask cause i sort of do

I made this promise and I’ll keep it — I’m willing to help 5 random families get on their feet with the Trump win. I’m only saying this here so you can believe me or not.

I disagree. If, should the dems also take the senate I do think things will change. I think more of america's citizens back each other about police violence especially against people of any color other than white. In my opinion, the cops are out of control. They look like military, their cars are so blacked out you can't even see into them and most times are arrogant when they approach us. I'm white and that has still been my overwhelming experience with the few times in over sixty years I've had to deal with them. The younger generations are much more for social justice than they are about making money. All the kids who endured school shootings, most of them won't vote for people who do nothing about firearms.

The real reason I think if the dems take the senate things will change. When the dems ram through against the will of the republicans bills that will help many republicans, after a couple of years of realization they have been voting against their own best interests, their mindset just might change. We the people instead of we the military industrial complex, we the multinational corporations, we the super obnoxiously wealthy and especially we the banking, insurance and drug industries. We the people first.

Imho your perspective is naive, no offense. Trump is not a one off, he is a direct consequence of dismissing a large swath of voters.

WADR to you, there is a large group of people in this country who not only feel disenfranctized and ignored but also villianized. This started before trump. Trump is a figurehead for them and if you get rid of him you have won a battle but not the war. It will rage on. Establishment republicans are being primaried out and the freedom caucus grows.
Fyi, democrats are maybe a cycle or 2 behind but there is an internal revolution taking place on the left as well. Bernie and the squad are coming for the pelosi/schummer democrats. The revolution is happening on both sides of the aisle

It did start before Trump. But "Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" is not sustainable and it requires a special brand of charlatan to consolidate behind. It requires somebody that is a shameless empty vessel so lustful for a power base that you can pour all of your angst and anger and petty personal desires into him and he will accept them. Remember it was Donnie Boy himself that told us he really did not believe in the Wall. But he kept tossing crap out into the crowds at his rallies and the crap they liked was The Wall crap. Presto...here comes an effort to fulfill that desire.

The crowds liked the "it will all change quickly" crap. So he kept that and they liked the "its all trigged up and ONLY I CAN CHANGE IT" crap because they really did not want to be engaged themselves as much as they wanted this one man wrecking crew that they could just sit back with a beer and watch. They even liked his endless victimization narratives because it allowed them to pursue their victimization narratives. Donald has no principles and no value structure outside of his racist white supremacy value structure evidenced by that lack of a 2020 Party Platform.

Remember, this edition of Americana started with the Tea Party which started because people were Mad as Hell about the Wall St bailout that they thought favored fat cats and left them with a mortgage they could not sustain, a property with plummeting value. Well you want to talk about naive. The entire country floats on this big fat pillow of credit and debt. You let the big investment banks go down, the entire financial system crashes taking the world financial system with it and then you're facing a Depression that lasts 20-30 years. So their view of the bailout was entirely ignorant of reality and entirely inward looking. I can't blame them really. But they were just wrong and went off half cocked for it.

At any rate, you are welcome to look for another Donald. I don't see one. I see a good many pretenders and I see the vision that Donald has, a family dynasty of his offspring following him into office. That is a distinct possibility with Donald actually still being President in the background behind front men President Ivanka or President Don Jr. But there is only one Donald. That vision all ends if Donald losses in November as well. What you guys do after that, I have no clue.

There is change coming from the Left. Those guys were/are 8-10 years too early. Maybe that results in another FDR. But it won't result in more than another FDR. This place is unlikely to become the UNION of American Socialist States. Certainly since Trump is on power at present there is a better chance it becomes the Fascist States of America.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom