• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will a change in administrations elevate the quality of discourse in America?

Do you mark the start of it when the relublicans impeached clinton?
I ask cause i sort of do

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the beginning was the institution of the Hastert rule.

Hastert Rule - Wikipedia

Quite a lot of people want to blame Gingrich, but Gingrich didn't change the House rules. Hastert did. The impeachment of Bill Clinton was certainly ill advised. It had no chance at all of succeeding. Neither did the Democrats impeachment of Trump.

What the Hastert rule did was basically strip away the rights of the minority party to introduce and have floor votes on their legislation they wanted. But not to be outdone, The Democrats under then ex-Democratic senate majority leader Harry Reid did the same to the minority party in the senate with the first use of the nuclear option. I fully expect this to escalate even further if the Democrats gain full control of the presidency, senate and the house. The filibuster will be done away with completely. Thus avoiding any need to compromise or work with the party across the aisle.

It's my opinion that this is all about one party domination.There were many speakers prior to Hastert, including a stretch where the Democrats controlled the House for 40 straight years. But none of them invoked the majority of the majority rule. Each let the minority party introduce and have floor votes on their legislative proposals. In the senate, both parties with their previous leaders, Lott and Daschle, Mitchell and Dole, Byrd and Baker, none of them would have even thought about the nuclear option let alone use it. Isn't it ironic that the party so heavily involved in pushing minority rights would be the party to end minority rights in the senate.

What we need is come cooler heads in both parties leadership to get us out of this era of polarization and ultra high partisanship. But I don't think that is about to happen, if at all.

Last edited:
I disagree. If, should the dems also take the senate I do think things will change. I think more of america's citizens back each other about police violence especially against people of any color other than white. In my opinion, the cops are out of control. They look like military, their cars are so blacked out you can't even see into them and most times are arrogant when they approach us. I'm white and that has still been my overwhelming experience with the few times in over sixty years I've had to deal with them. The younger generations are much more for social justice than they are about making money. All the kids who endured school shootings, most of them won't vote for people who do nothing about firearms.

The real reason I think if the dems take the senate things will change. When the dems ram through against the will of the republicans bills that will help many republicans, after a couple of years of realization they have been voting against their own best interests, their mindset just might change. We the people instead of we the military industrial complex, we the multinational corporations, we the super obnoxiously wealthy and especially we the banking, insurance and drug industries. We the people first.

"I want to believe..."

AuexBT4.gif

I think the beginning was the institution of the Hastert rule.

Hastert Rule - Wikipedia

Quite a lot of people want to blame Gingrich, but Gingrich didn't change the House rules. Hastert did. The impeachment of Bill Clinton was certainly ill advised. It had no chance at all of succeeding. Neither did the Democrats impeachment of Trump.

What the Hastert rule did was basically strip away the rights of the minority party to introduce and have floor votes on their legislation they wanted. But not to be outdone, The Democrats under then ex-Democratic senate majority leader Harry Reid did the same to the minority party in the senate with the first use of the nuclear option. I fully expect this to escalate even further if the Democrats gain full control of the presidency, senate and the house. The filibuster will be done away with completely. Thus avoiding any need to compromise or work with the party across the aisle.

It's my opinion that this is all about one party domination.There were many speakers prior to Hastert, including a stretch where the Democrats controlled the House for 40 straight years. But none of them invoked the majority of the majority rule. Each let the minority party introduce and have floor votes on their legislative proposals. In the senate, both parties with their previous leaders, Lott and Daschle, Mitchell and Dole, Byrd and Baker, none of them would have even thought about the nuclear option let alone use it. Isn't it ironic that the party so heavily involved in pushing minority rights would be the party to end minority rights in the senate.

What we need is come cooler heads in both parties leadership to get us out of this era of polarization and ultra high partisanship. But I don't think that is about to happen, if at all.

Restore the filibuster to the original "Stand and Deliver" style filibuster.
In the later years, it wasn't even a filibuster at all, it was almost like a pushbutton filibuster, where the legislator just INDICATES that they INTEND to filibuster.

So stand and deliver only, thank you.
If you believe in your cause that much, then you have to stand and speak, and there are no breaks, so cots, bottled water and Depend adult undergarments if you want to go that route.

No more pushbuttons, no more proxies, no more anything.
You're either "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" or sit down and shut up, the adults are talking.

ETCM.gif

With a Biden win America will return to sanity

The deplorables will crawl back in their hole. We know them now. We know who and what they are. They will need close monitoring because given the opportunity the will vest another trump upon us.

An ideological war is taking place. Whoever loses is not gonna take it well. I honestly think we are on the precibus of a 2nd civil war. I dont see how a peaceful resolution to our differences is possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sure, the way it has so far.
No...sorry...only family will bring us back to a more family oriented environment.
It is going to take effort from the people themselves, and while tech can play a part, it's a tool, not a jewel...or a drug.
Right now it's both a drug and a jewel, because it is taking the place of direct human interaction.

I'm different, this modern era of polarization and ultra, extreme partisanship didn't begin with Trump. He may have made it worse, but the beginning I would place in the 1990's. It has gotten worse with each successive president.

I believe no one party, no one president can end this on their own. Like the old saying goes, it takes two to tango. I do think Biden is a good start, he has a history of working across the aisle as a senator and long forgotten was the working out between Biden, then VP and McConnell a means to end the government shutdown over the debt ceiling. But both sides must be willing to end this era of politics we're now in.

I don't think Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell are willing nor even want to do so. Their only goal is to stop anything and everything the other party wants or proposes. As long as each party views the other party as this nations worst enemy, that the other party is out to destroy this nation, there will be no compromises and no working together to solve this nations many problems. Most of our problems, neither party wants to solve as they are way too valuable as a campaign tool to fire up their base.

I wonder if Biden can reign in Pelosi and Schumer, the other Democrats who view all Republicans as their number one enemy to even think about working with them to improve this nation. I wonder even after Trump, if the GOP would be willing to work with Democrats, bringing back the old game of give and take and compromise even if the Democrats offer the first fig leaf. I don't think so.

Trump is a result of this new era of polarization and ultra, mega high partisanship. He isn't the cause, but a by product. Biden is a good choice to replace him. But I do think every party leader of both parties needs changing at the same time. The mindset of both parties needs changing. We need to get back to a time when both major parties realized that both wanted a secure, free and prosperous America, their paths might be different, but the goal was the same. Today, both parties want total domination. Not just over the other party, but over all of America.

We're lucky that so far this hasn't turned into a shooting war. But then again, looking at all the recent events, perhaps it has and we just don't want to admit it.
Great reply. Just imagine — by 2024 we will have a lot of old guard stepping down and not to be morbid — dying.

We will also two terms of Obama and two terms of Trump for both sides to air out their grievances. This is probably how politics was always imagined without knowing any future knowledge.

Our system is working and society is progressing....along side technology. At this point we are breaking the social media/media/governing sound barrier. We will ultimately persevere though.

Personally, I kind of doubt it.

Trumpism might not be pure nazism but as the saying goes, it's "close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades".
Thus, even if we win, even if we win massively, deprogramming Trumpism is going to look a lot like the denazification of Germany, which as we can see, was not 100% successful.

So it looks like we're stuck with Trumpians until they start to die off or until Trump burns the rest of them to the ground for not giving him the win he so desperately wants. And it also guarantees astronomical growth of far right domestic terrorism.

No. Neither party has shown the capacity to act like adults, so the discourse we have now is the “new normal”. Unless it gets worse, of course. That’s a very real possibility.

With a Biden win America will return to sanity

The deplorables will crawl back in their hole. We know them now. We know who and what they are. They will need close monitoring because given the opportunity the will vest another trump upon us.

Headlines:

DHS Warns Against Growing Threat Of White Supremacist Extremism Online
The agency says the internet has become a breeding ground for domestic terrorism, following hate-based mass shootings in the U.S.

Homeland Security Dept. Affirms Threat of White Supremacy After Years of Prodding

We need to establish a Domestic Terrorism Agency and Task Force.... The seditious natured vile makers can be charged as damaging and treasonous against the values of this nation.
We can make it illegal for Terrorist Groups of White Supremacist and their Militia minded types from ever being able to assemble in public with guns... and they can be monitored and held accountable for any vile they promote, seek to promote and engage to promote.

Our nation has that capability, and we will no longer allow these groups to run wild across the nation... We've seen them for more than 150+yrs and now there has been enough. They are not America... and They are NOT Christian, these are people who "burn a cross" rather than hold it sacred... These are people who violate the principles of Christianity by the promotions of their hate. These are fact that we must not waver and they get no exception.

These are evil people, Trump blew the horn for them to come from under their rocks and out of the woods, and from the cracks and crevices, and he feeds them what ever he thinks will make them blood thirsty, and we saw and see them comes from the communities of wealth backing and edging them on. This vile must be vanquished from America.

We've fought terrorist around the world, and now it's time to cleanse America of its Terrorist Elements. American has no place for such savages and their lusting to engage savagery.

This nation has seen 100's of yrs of what that savage mentality of racism has done, and we've seen the savages boast about their savagery and refuse to learn how not to be a savage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom