• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wildfires Poll

Are the Cal wildfires arson or "climate change"?

• Total voters

sKiTzo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm so sick of the fake news narrative. I can only hope that people see right through it.

Gee, I wonder how the OP will “vote.”

Historically, there are a lot of wildfires started by arson.

They're often started by arson or even natural causes, but dramatically exacerbated by climate change. Stop having such a simplistic, black and white view of the world.

They're often started by arson or even natural causes, but dramatically exacerbated by climate change. Stop having such a simplistic, black and white view of the world.

That is why I prefer dry wood over wet wood for my fireplace. Kind of common sense I thought.

No mention of the never ending human encroachment in these affected areas?

It's Governor Newsome's lack of leadership.

No mention of the never ending human encroachment in these affected areas?

Yes, Calif's population has almost doubled since 1980!

Holy ****!

I'm so sick of the fake news narrative. I can only hope that people see right through it.

One or more of the fires could have been started by arson. We don't know yet. Climate change does not start fires. It does cause condition to enable a fire to more easily start, move faster over a broader geographic area, burn hotter and extend the fire season. Climate change has dried out plant life making for a great deal more fuel for the fire. The atmosphere is drier, again enabling the spread of wildfire. I haven't heard or seen the media saying that global warming causes/starts wildfire. Maybe you have evidence.

A mixture of arson and naturally occurring events. California is a naturally occurring wild fire prone area. The retards who run California do not understand what fire ecology is and the importance of fire-breaks. The people in California are like the idiots who live in areas where it floods every couple years and they don't build dykes, dams, elevate their homes or some other preventive measures and then act all surprised that their homes ****ing flood every few years.

Warmer temps are making fire season longer, and fire spread farther. More fires around the world also make more emissions, speeding up global warming. It's a vicious cycle.

The number of autumn days with weather suitable for wildfires has doubled since the 1980s as a result of climate change.

Interestingly, the majority of Americas fires are from humans, where as Canadas are from nature. So, both would be my answer but I could only pick one.

I am in the midst of Armageddon here in Oregon. I have my bags packed. Of course I did not check either box because:

"They're often started by arson or even natural causes, but dramatically exacerbated by climate change. Stop having such a simplistic, black and white view of the world"....as 'Rabidalpaca' said.

The historic shortage of rain and snowfall averages are clearly a result of climate change. Period. Combine that w human stupidity and the result are these horrible conflagrations.

These particular fires were caused from arson and carelessness of stupid people. Some arrests have already been made. Every September, CA. suffers the Santa Ana wind condition. This is nothing new, hence the fires aren't being caused by climate change, so in that respect the news narrative is fake. As you know, the fire by you was started by a mom to be who decided to celebrate the gender of her unborn by launch projectiles, setting off explosions of pink or blue powder. She did so knowingly during a Santa Ana crisis, high temps, low humidity and sparked the El Dorado fire. Down in San Diego, the Valley fire was allegedly started by a spark from a trailer... Fires in WA. and Portland are reportedly arson. So NO, has nothing to do with climate change. Our weather patterns are consistent in the late summer and fall. Santa Ana conditions are normal weather patterns for the west coast.

A mixture of arson and naturally occurring events. California is a naturally occurring wild fire prone area. The retards who run California do not understand what fire ecology is and the importance of fire-breaks. The people in California are like the idiots who live in areas where it floods every couple years and they don't build dykes, dams, elevate their homes or some other preventive measures and then act all surprised that their homes ****ing flood every few years.

It is more complicated then that:

There is a housing shortage in Calif. and Oregon so builders have built into fire prone areas. After a disaster, there is a dilemma. Insurance companies do not want to insure homes in disaster prone areas. Home owners obviously do not want to lose the value of their biggest asset. Towns hesitate to accept buy-out programs because it seriously reduces their tax base. So who should take the hit? The home buyer who unknowingly bought a home in a disaster prone area? The U.S. tax payer who foots the bill to insure those homes? At this point I would guess that a huge % of U.S. homes are located in some kind of disaster prone area. This is not just a Cal. problem.

What I don't understand is the libertarian response. WE need more regulation, not less! New homes should be built to be much more fire resistant. ( Metal roofs, I.C.Fs instead of wood construction) Flood prone areas need very different regulations and/or buy-outs). Unfortunately, the sort of forest management that would reduce fire severity is a huge, expensive endeavor which taxpayers have not been willing to pay for and now the states are broke!

These particular fires were caused from arson and carelessness of stupid people. Some arrests have already been made. Every September, CA. suffers the Santa Ana wind condition. This is nothing new, hence the fires aren't being caused by climate change, so in that respect the news narrative is fake. As you know, the fire by you was started by a mom to be who decided to celebrate the gender of her unborn by launch projectiles, setting off explosions of pink or blue powder. She did so knowingly during a Santa Ana crisis, high temps, low humidity and sparked the El Dorado fire. Down in San Diego, the Valley fire was allegedly started by a spark from a trailer... Fires in WA. and Portland are reportedly arson. So NO, has nothing to do with climate change. Our weather patterns are consistent in the late summer and fall. Santa Ana conditions are normal weather patterns for the west coast.

I am surrounded by fires- No Santa Ana winds here and no suggestion of arson

Yeah, it was totally antifa with soup launchers.

I am surrounded by fires- No Santa Ana winds here and no suggestion of arson

You had high wind warnings. Fact.

My son lives in Portland.

Hot, dry weather and high winds are never a good combination. It's even worse when the winds are of potentially historic strength.
The National Weather Service has placed Northwest Oregon and Southwest Washington under a critical fire weather warning due to the confluence of high temperatures, low humidity and rare easterly winds that are predicted to hit upward of 35 mph in the Portland area beginning in the late afternoon.

A Rare Wind Event Has Northwest Oregon Under a Critical Fire Warning - Willamette Week

Suspect Is Charged With Arson in Oregon Wildfire

I do not live in Portland. Look at the fire maps- there are fires all over the place! You should accept complexity. Firefighters are saying they have never seen the like of these fires in Oregon. People have always been stupid AND the forests are now rain starved, the snow pack diminished, the number of HOT days increasing. That is just a fact.

Stupid poll

Some wildfires are caused by humans and some by natural causes (lighting, etc.). Human caused fires may include arson.

Climate change influences fuel and fire conditions.

I do not live in Portland. Look at the fire maps- there are fires all over the place! You should accept complexity. Firefighters are saying they have never seen the like of these fires in Oregon. People have always been stupid AND the forests are now rain starved, the snow pack diminished, the number of HOT days increasing. That is just a fact.

Do something about the misplaced anger. There are more people in the world living near the forests. When the high wind, low humidity, and heat come, people get stupid. It's noteworthy how you completely dismissed my two sources, both that prove you wrong.

Back
Top Bottom