• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wild Wild Texas

$5k is well worth it if it keeps you out of jail.
I doubt it would have led to jail, but I really do not want any convictions on my record unless they are speeding tickets...lol
I knew a woman at work who got into some minor trouble as a young girl - obstruction of police officer I think. Naturally she had no money and the over worked public defender persuaded her and her friends to take a plea, whereas anyone with money would fought it and probably won.
They always push for a plea deal; it's easy for them.

I doubt it would have led to jail, but I really do not want any convictions on my record unless they are speeding tickets...lol

Well a conviction for trafficking sounds serious enough to get you jail time.

But Tbh, I don't know what the sentencing guidelines were i your state at the time.

I know, it's the first words out of their mouths

The state of public defenders' work seriously undermines criminal justice in the USA. It's why, if facing trial and I was innocent, I'd never want a jury trial. In fact I think jury trials should be abolished.

Found this:

"Federal agents at the DEA speak in veiled terms about the secret DEA unit that shares intelligence from the National Security Agency and other organizations with law enforcement for use in criminal investigations. They call it the “Dark Side.”
The Special Operations Division receives raw intelligence from the NSA’s surveillance programs, including from the mass surveillance programs revealed in documents provided by whistleblower Edward Snowden. DEA agents in this unit then analyze the surveillance data and disseminate leads to federal and local police nationwide. But the information comes with a catch. Law enforcement can’t use it to secure search warrants or in any way reveal the intelligence community as the source of their leads. Instead, they must find another way to justify their searches and broader investigations
."

We must all be aware.

Well a conviction for trafficking sounds serious enough to get you jail time.

But Tbh, I don't know what the sentencing guidelines were i your state at the time.
I doubt it would have ever come to that. They had nothing on me for trafficking except the word of the two skanks saying that I gave them some weed for free.
They did call me a few days later to try arranging a coke buy. But, I said, I don't know anything about that.
The state of public defenders' work seriously undermines criminal justice in the USA. It's why, if facing trial and I was innocent, I'd never want a jury trial. In fact I think jury trials should be abolished.
I suspect a PD would have pushed me to take the deal on the table: Possession. It would have been a misdemeanor offense at worst. But, why admit to something if you do not have to?

I doubt it would have ever come to that. They had nothing on me for trafficking except the word of the two skanks saying that I gave them some weed for free.
They did call me a few days later to try arranging a coke buy. But, I said, I don't know anything about that.

Must have made you want to record telephone calls.

But a trafficking conviction, would've meant jail, no ?

I suspect a PD would have pushed me to take the deal on the table: Possession. It would have been a misdemeanor offense at worst. But, why admit to something if you do not have to?

I'm pretty sure he/she would have

But I can't damn them totally out of hand, I knew someone who had a PD, and he was obscenely overworked.

Must have made you want to record telephone calls.
I wasn’t thinking that far ahead. I just thought it was a little weird and knew better than to hook anyone up with hard drugs.

But a trafficking conviction, would've meant jail, no ?
Nah. My clean record and the small amounts we were talking about would have led to probation. Plus, I’m on their recording saying “I don’t sell drugs.”
I'm pretty sure he/she would have

But I can't damn them totally out of hand, I knew someone who had a PD, and he was obscenely overworked.
After the 90’s, stings shifted from drugs to focus on terror plots. These were usually just bs crap that cops entrapped people into by using hot chicks as bait.

I wasn’t thinking that far ahead. I just thought it was a little weird and knew better than to hook anyone up with hard drugs.

It's a giant red flag. And thankfully you were at least that smart.

Kinda worrying that the police (via proxy) are actively going out to try and entrap people.

Nah. My clean record and the small amounts we were talking about would have led to probation. Plus, I’m on their recording saying “I don’t sell drugs.”

But as you say, merely offering them as gifts is enough to count as trafficking.
You're probably right about probation though - still not good to have that kind of conviction on your record.

After the 90’s, stings shifted from drugs to focus on terror plots. These were usually just bs crap that cops entrapped people into by using hot chicks as bait.

I once read that if an agent/LEO could get you to merely say you'd be willing to transport drugs for money, that's enough to get you arrested

These days, a Facebook post saying you're thinking of blowing up a government building is enough - unfortunately, unlike in a bar, you can't use a drunken state as a defense.

It's a giant red flag. And thankfully you were at least that smart.

Kinda worrying that the police (via proxy) are actively going out to try and entrap people.
Yeah, it was a thing. I believe the company got its start by entrapping assembly line people at the local automotive plants. I guess moving on to snaring drunks in the bars was a natural progression.
But as you say, merely offering them as gifts is enough to count as trafficking.
You're probably right about probation though - still not good to have that kind of conviction on your record.
I know. Who would have thought gifting someone a little bit of weed would be a major crime...lol
I once read that if an agent/LEO could get you to merely say you'd be willing to transport drugs for money, that's enough to get you arrested
I imagine there is a line that has to be crossed beyond just "talk," but it is likely a fine one.
These days, a Facebook post saying you're thinking of blowing up a government building is enough - unfortunately, unlike in a bar, you can't use a drunken state as a defense.
Yeah, that would get you on the radar. For sure.

Yeah, it was a thing. I believe the company got its start by entrapping assembly line people at the local automotive plants. I guess moving on to snaring drunks in the bars was a natural progression.

The tabloid newspapers, you see at supermarket check outs, employ them a lot too.

I know. Who would have thought gifting someone a little bit of weed would be a major crime...lol

But it is. That said there are millions of "criminals" out there if that is a criteria.

I imagine there is a line that has to be crossed beyond just "talk," but it is likely a fine one.

And I wonder if a court would see drunkenness as a mitigating factor.

Yeah, that would get you on the radar. For sure.

I'm sure there is an army of people browsing social media as we speak using the latest software to search for key words
And to be fair, they do seem to catch/stop a fair number of sociopaths before they go and commit something like a mass shooting.

You'd think if a couple of real cops got "pulled over" by a fake cop that would guarantee a long stretch in "The Big House".

Under California Penal Code 538d PC, impersonation of a police officer is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison and a fine of up to $2,000.
---A year? Two grand??
That's PEANUTS, that's NOTHING.

You'd think if a couple of real cops got "pulled over" by a fake cop that would guarantee a long stretch in "The Big House".

Under California Penal Code 538d PC, impersonation of a police officer is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison and a fine of up to $2,000.
---A year? Two grand??
That's PEANUTS, that's NOTHING.

You're right, the max penalty should be a lot more.

But a year in jail should modify his behavior.

Back
Top Bottom