• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wil Trump announce his candidacy for President early to try and stop an indictment and should it matter?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have been listening to talking heads on the tub talking about the idea that Trump will announce his candidacy for president earlier that otherwise expected to stop n indictment from either the Feds, New York or Georgia. The idea would be he could yell it is all politics if indicted. I am not asking if trump is guilty or not, but if any candidate for president, or even any other office, should be indicted while running for that office? My opinion would be if the evidence is there for a substantial offense, then yes, you can and should indict.

I have been listening to talking heads on the tub talking about the idea that Trump will announce his candidacy for president earlier that otherwise expected to stop n indictment from either the Feds, New York or Georgia. The idea would be he could yell it is all politics if indicted. I am not asking if trump is guilty or not, but if any candidate for president, or even any other office, should be indicted while running for that office? My opinion would be if the evidence is there for a substantial offense, then yes, you can and should indict.
You only have to ask, "What would Donald Trump do in my shoes?"

Yes, pursue his defeat any avenue.

The only sort of predictions that work anymore are "Will Trump do [insert bad thing here]?" The answer tends to invariably be, "Yes he will."

Yes, he will, and no it shouldn't.

DT is a full blown psychopath. Thus his actions are easy to predict. Will it benefit DT? If yes, he will do it.

If he announces early it will be to put the attention back on him and off of DeSantis more so that thinking it will help him avoid indictment. It won't.

i've seen a bunch of American flag shits over the last few days. i think we should see some of these...

1656950717467.png

You only have to ask, "What would Donald Trump do in my shoes?"

Yes, pursue his defeat any avenue.
Normally I would agree. The Trump phenomenon is much more difficult. The democrats have been screaming accusations since he announced he was running, along with making fun of his candidacy. When he began to pick up support for the nomination it got worse and when he won it they went ballistic. Of course when he defeated Hillary despite almost every pundit's prediction the left went in a complete mental collapse and the fabricated Collusion story quickly came about. The farce has been rebuked but the left clings on to it. As a result we saw 2 impeachment proceedings and several investigations while he was President and that practice seems to be going to continue as democrats seem more concerned with Trump than inflation, Ukraine, crime, gas prices, food shortages, energy prices, immigration, drug trafficking and pretty much every other thing.

If he announces early it will be to put the attention back on him and off of DeSantis more so that thinking it will help him avoid indictment. It won't.
If I were him I'd wait until after the midterm and the congressional members are sworn it. It's likely to end this mess as the republicans look poised to take both houses. If that happens the republicans are going to stop the investigations and Cheney and Kinzinger will have no say. Kinzinger will be out and Cheney may be reelected but will have no voice.
Announcing now may just stir the pot. Democrats are incensed with hate for Trump and nothing matters more to them.

Normally I would agree. The Trump phenomenon is much more difficult. The democrats have been screaming accusations since he announced he was running, along with making fun of his candidacy. When he began to pick up support for the nomination it got worse and when he won it they went ballistic. Of course when he defeated Hillary despite almost every pundit's prediction the left went in a complete mental collapse and the fabricated Collusion story quickly came about. The farce has been rebuked but the left clings on to it. As a result we saw 2 impeachment proceedings and several investigations while he was President and that practice seems to be going to continue as democrats seem more concerned with Trump than inflation, Ukraine, crime, gas prices, food shortages, energy prices, immigration, drug trafficking and pretty much every other thing.
They were right to pursue him from the start, a person like Trump always needs strong opposition, look what he did, and think what he may be waiting to do if opportunity affords.

If it wasn't for his tax cut, no impeachment, no defeat.

1. The elders of the Republican Party should visit Mr. Trump (for whom I voted twice and would do so again) and tell him NOT to run. That would be a sign of his patriotism. The nation simply could not tolerate another one of his campaigns.

2. The elders of the Democratic Party should visit the current Attorney General and tell him NOT to prosecute Mr. Trump, not even for jaywalking. Just let him fade away. Most Americans are too darn busy with their precarious financial situation to give any thought to him anyway.

It is time for the adults in both parties to clean up things.

If 'The Don' announces early, it will have more to do with raising more money for his war chest, not to evade indictment. Even if he were indicted prior to the 2024 campaign season, his case wouldn't go to trial for years. His lawyers would stall it as long as possible.

Well, IMO he does not have to "yell 'it's all politics'" because it IS "all politics."

The 01/06 Committee is a partisan witch hunt. (Don't say it's got 2 Republicans, they are both "partisans" too).

I would prefer Trump not run. I am not sure he could actually win, even with all the anger developing over the progressive policies of the Biden regime.

But IMO trying to stop a potential run simply because of personal hatreds is not a very "democratic" way of handling elections.

Well, IMO he does not have to "yell 'it's all politics'" because it IS "all politics."

The 01/06 Committee is a partisan witch hunt. (Don't say it'd got 2 Republicans, they are both "partisans" too).

I would prefer Trump not run. I am not sure he could actually win, even with all the anger developing over the progressive policies of the Biden regime.

But IMO trying to stop a potential run simply because of personal hatreds is not a very "democratic" way of handling elections.
I have heard this repeatedly over the past year, "partisan witch hunt". If you're an American citizen, wouldn't you want to know how this all happened, who planned it, were there others from inside Congress who were aware of this happening? Wouldn't you like to know how this country can avoid another 'Jan 6' in the future? Don't you want to know who was responsible for the lack of manpower by Capitol police? How come you don't want to protect our democracy in the future, since it literally was on the line on Jan 6, 2021?

I'm sick of hearing from Trump apologists and defenders of this insurrection brushing it off as though this was nothing but people using their First Amendment right to protest. That's bullshit.

1. The elders of the Republican Party should visit Mr. Trump (for whom I voted twice and would do so again) and tell him NOT to run. That would be a sign of his patriotism. The nation simply could not tolerate another one of his campaigns.
You seem to be under the impression that he'd listen, or that he'd do anything not to his own perceived advantage. If he willingly decides not to run, it'll be because his ego can't handle another beating.

2. The elders of the Democratic Party should visit the current Attorney General and tell him NOT to prosecute Mr. Trump, not even for jaywalking. Just let him fade away. Most Americans are too darn busy with their precarious financial situation to give any thought to him anyway.
Because he's been keeping such a low profile that 'fade away' would even be an optimistic possibility? What world are you living in? And even if it were... well, I suppose it's a pretty consistent pattern for the party of 'law and order' posturing to want their own members protected at all costs.

Advocating pressure on the Justice Department to actively politicize their decisions, good grief.

If I were him I'd wait until after the midterm and the congressional members are sworn it. It's likely to end this mess as the republicans look poised to take both houses. If that happens the republicans are going to stop the investigations and Cheney and Kinzinger will have no say. Kinzinger will be out and Cheney may be reelected but will have no voice.
Announcing now may just stir the pot. Democrats are incensed with hate for Trump and nothing matters more to them.
The committee will produce its report before any transfer of power (should it be a peaceful transfer?) The committee is irrelevant, and the report doesn't magically disappear if and when Republicans win Congress.

What matters is Trump. Trump is his own worst enemy. Trump defeats himself. If he were smart, he'd wait until the last minute to announce. He loses no votes by doing so. The earlier he announces, the sooner his lips start flapping and the sooner he self-destructs.

Bring it on.

Last edited:
I think Trump, if he runs again, regardless J6 sideshows, will officially announce by January 1st 2023, if not sometime in November of 2022 soon after the Mid Term election.

That way the next two years for America and him are laid out on how Congress will be balanced; announcing so early cuts the legs off any uppity GOPER thinker with delusions of POWER like DeSantis who will be thinking in the usual time frame for announcing.

He then can just sit back and grift his way to the official nomination and then the cake walk into the White House.

The Republicans will likely take the House, which is common in midterms. The Senate is a toss up.

The House will wrap up it’s investigation before November.

I would not be surprised if he runs, even announces in the coming weeks just to assert some authority over the Republican Party as a sort of his way or risk being the next Liz Cheney.

The fact that everybody expects him to announce a run just to be a spoke in the wheel of prosecution dampens his goal of achieving that. He's so predictably corrupt that he's his own worst enemy.

I have heard this repeatedly over the past year, "partisan witch hunt". If you're an American citizen, wouldn't you want to know how this all happened, who planned it,

I would LOVE to know "who planned it," if in fact someone planned to actually enter the Congress and disrupt the proceedings.

Like who organized those "red hats" led by Mr. Ray Epps that were seeking entry into the Capitol as declared the night prior (to the derision of everyone who heard them that night). Those same "Red Caps" led by that same Mr. Epps who convinced people to head to the capitol early and then convinced certain members to break down barricades and urged the crowd using bullhorns to "enter the capitol."

However, I don't see this 01/06 "Committee" doing any such thing. Their SOLE purpose (after failing to successfully impeach Trump for it) is to try to find a way to charge him anyway.

were there others from inside Congress who were aware of this happening?

Well if this were a true "fact finding" committee in THIS regard, then where is the invetigation into why:

Pelosi turned down the offer of National Guard protection, approved by President Trump?

Why were the Capitol Police not fully staffed and prepared?

Why didn't Pelosi seek assistance from the D.C. police?

Those are just a few questions a true investigation would seek to answer.

Wouldn't you like to know how this country can avoid another 'Jan 6' in the future? Don't you want to know who was responsible for the lack of manpower by Capitol police? How come you don't want to protect our democracy in the future, since it literally was on the line on Jan 6, 2021?

It is quite easy to avoid another such incident. Simply take steps suggested by the above questions whenever there is a concern. After all, isn't that what some States and locales did during the various "approved" demonstrations (read RIOTS) that occurred with Democrat blessings during the Trump Administration?

I'm sick of hearing from Trump apologists and defenders of this insurrection brushing it off as though this was nothing but people using their First Amendment right to protest. That's bullshit.

I'm sick of all the ad hominin labeling, straw man deflections, and confirmation bias projecting that YOUR side of the argument always pushed forward whenever your assertions are challenged.

But one has to deal with what one is presented with. :coffee:

The fact that everybody expects him to announce a run just to be a spoke in the wheel of prosecution dampens his goal of achieving that. He's so predictably corrupt that he's his own worst enemy.
Yep. What looks like (and is) chaos is highly predictable. Has his niece Mary ever been wrong about anything?

Yep. What looks like (and is) chaos is highly predictable. Has his niece Mary ever been wrong about anything?
It's similar to when he telegraphed his narrative of how the 2020 election would be "stolen" half a year in advance. When he inevitably did it everybody was basically prepared.

Trump has been screaming accusations since he announced he was running. He said months before the '16 election, when Clinton was leading in the polls, that it was being rigged. There was hardly a week during his administration without him accusing someone of mistreating him. He went so far as to say the judge in the Trump University fraud case couldn't be impartial because he had an Hispanic last name.

Back
Top Bottom