• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and molestation.

The warrant was issued late on Friday, said Karin Rosander, communications head at Sweden's prosecutors' office.

Swedish police have been trying to contact Mr Assange, but have not yet been able to, she told the BBC.

BBC News - Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

Convenient? Or possible? Well, when the judge decides to extradite him to the US, we'll know.

Very possible.

Smear campaign.

Why?

Rape, molestation OR HARASSMENT.

The OR HARASSMENT is the key here. You don't rape, molest, BUT it may be simply a case of harrassment. Sorry harrassment is a far cry from rape and molestation.

I'm not a big fan of what this man is doing but this is very suspicious in its wording and timing.

I'm thinking if there is an alleged victim it was set up, and the fact that it is in Sweden is even more suspicious. Sweden would never go along with a set up, so the set up was created in Sweden to make it look less suspicious.

My government is sounding more and more like the Mossad every day. Wo to anyone that stands in their way!

I'm thinking if there is an alleged victim it was set up, and the fact that it is in Sweden is even more suspicious. Sweden would never go along with a set up, so the set up was created in Sweden to make it look less suspicious.

This sounds ridiculously paranoid.

The pentagon might want to do something to silence the guy (although that's kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped).
I do not believe Obama would go along with such a plot.
If he's convicted of sexual harrassment, so what?
Is that going to stop him from running wikileaks?
Even if he's convicted of rape- guilty or not- so what?
How does that stop him? Seriously.

If they really wanted to silence him, they'd just kill him. The end.
It's not like our government- and all governments- haven't done it before.

There's always the possibility that he raped someone, or date-raped someone, or that there was some sexual misunderstanding between him and somebody, or that somebody he had sexual relations with is now accusing him of sexual misconduct in an effort to gain something- fame, money from a civil suit.
He is a man, after all. And he is a wealthy man, after all.
So any of the above are possible; likely, actually. Far more likely than a government set-up, which wouldn't stop him anyway, at least not for long.
Hell, they have internet access in prison; and even convicted rapists don't serve much time. The average convicted rapist serves only a few years. He'd be out again and leaking government documents before Obama's second term was up.

Usually when people get famous they attract more charges.

It's the way of nature.

This sounds ridiculously paranoid.

Not if you know anything about how this kind of thing works. I have first hand accounts from a family member that worked in this area, and you woudl be appalled at what our government has done in the last 50 years that we don't officially know about. And after 911 this kind of thing has been ramped up.

The pentagon might want to do something to silence the guy (although that's kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped).

The pentagon? Are you kidding? There's another entity that specializes in this kind of thing. Too many loose lips in the pentagon anyway.

I do not believe Obama would go along with such a plot.

Again your ignorance is amusing. The president won't be even close to this to protect him in case it backfires. He may even be out of the loop.

If he's convicted of sexual harrassment, so what?
Is that going to stop him from running wikileaks?
Even if he's convicted of rape- guilty or not- so what?
How does that stop him? Seriously.

It may not stop him but he could be incarcerated for an extended period of time. It can also be a warning to him that if he doesn't stop more prevasive and permanent measures will be on the way.

If they really wanted to silence him, they'd just kill him. The end.

It makes more sense to discredit him as an individual as if he dies someone else just takes his place. If you discredit him he may loose all credibility and his information an asserations won't be taken seriously.

It's not like our government- and all governments- haven't done it before.

See above.

There's always the possibility that he raped someone, or date-raped someone, or that there was some sexual misunderstanding between him and somebody, or that somebody he had sexual relations with is now accusing him of sexual misconduct in an effort to gain something- fame, money from a civil suit.
He is a man, after all. And he is a wealthy man, after all.
So any of the above are possible; likely, actually. Far more likely than a government set-up, which wouldn't stop him anyway, at least not for long.
Hell, they have internet access in prison; and even convicted rapists don't serve much time. The average convicted rapist serves only a few years. He'd be out again and leaking government documents before Obama's second term was up.

You're assuming a speedy trial of course. With media scrutiny the trial preparation would be even more lengthy. This think could go on for years.

Usually when people get famous they attract more charges.

It's the way of nature.

This was my thought. Let's face it, when he is arrested, there will be a trial, and he will have a chance to clear his name. That is what trials are for. It's a serious charge and has to be taken seriously.

It makes more sense to discredit him as an individual as if he dies someone else just takes his place. If you discredit him he may loose all credibility and his information an asserations won't be taken seriously.

How would it "discredit" him?
It's not about "his assertions".
He has no particular credibility as a person.
It's the fact that he gets hold of and releases actual documents.
It's not like everybody's just been taking his word for everything, because he's got such a sterling reputation.
I didn't even know, or particularly care, who he was.
When documents are leaked, I'm not worried about whether the person who leaked them has once been accused- or convicted- of sexual harassment.
I'm looking at the documents themselves to gauge their veracity.
When the pentagon and the US government themselves admit the documents are legitimate and valid, I'm certainly not going to be like, "Oh, but the guy who leaked them was once accused of sexual harassment. So I think I'll just forgive the government for whatever transgressions are exposed in these documents, no matter how incriminating they are."

Silly, silly. :roll:

I'm a bit skeptical on these charges, considering the target. Still, innocent until proven guilty (or whatever they have in the Swedish justice system.)

This was my thought. Let's face it, when he is arrested, there will be a trial, and he will have a chance to clear his name. That is what trials are for. It's a serious charge and has to be taken seriously.

Uh, the entire point is that he won't have a chance to clear his name, if this is false. If this is false the courts would be in on it...

Uh, the entire point is that he won't have a chance to clear his name, if this is false. If this is false the courts would be in on it...

Why wouldn't he?
He'll have a chance to retain an attorney and defend himself in court, the same as anyone else.
It's not like the charge is terrorism, and they're throwing him in Guantánamo.

Let me ask you this: because Julian Assange leaked these documents, do you think he should be allowed to get away with rape?
Do you think he should be immune from ever having rape charges brought against him, no matter what he does?
Because I don't think so.
But it appears he does.

Why wouldn't he?
He'll have a chance to retain an attorney and defend himself in court, the same as anyone else.

Because generally when a government arrests one on trumped up charges the entire point is that they are going to be done away with. If these charges are indeed false and the authorities are attempting to silence him, then anything he says in the court room doesn't really matter as the judges would be in on it.

Let me ask you this: because Julian Assange leaked these documents, do you think he should be allowed to get away with rape?
Do you think he should be immune from ever having rape charges brought against him, no matter what he does?
Because I don't think so.
But it appears he does.

No, I've very clearly qualified my statements by saying that if these charges are false.

And now we enter the realm of conspiracy theories. If every one is in on it, then anything could be true, and Bush really could have been complicit in 9/11, and Obama really is a Nigerian Muslim, and the moon landing really was fake, and...

Convenient? Or possible? Well, when the judge decides to extradite him to the US, we'll know.

128811265221577654.jpg

I think the guy is a sniveling little snake, but this "rape" accusation seems highly suspicious to me.

It would be a very clever way to get him in the states, to charge him with other crimes while he's here.
Not saying that's the case but you know.

Put yourself this situation for a minute.
So if you knew the charges aren't true but that you could face other charges in relation to Wikileaks, what you do?

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just my personal bias, but the idea of sexual misconduct on the part of youngish, affluent men never strikes me as unlikely or far-fetched.

Perhaps it's just my personal bias, but the idea of sexual misconduct on the part of youngish, affluent men never strikes me as unlikely or far-fetched.

I'm not saying it isn't true but it's awful convenient, that the warrant is for something that doesn't necessarily need a lot of evidence.

The arrest warrant has already been withdrawn by the swedes..

Very convenient....

Who cares? The man needs to go to prison and his website shut down. The fact that he's willing to get innocent people killed shows he's more then capable of rape. Not a shock to me.

I'm not saying it isn't true but it's awful convenient, that the warrant is for something that doesn't necessarily need a lot of evidence.

In a criminal court, sex crimes are among the most difficult to prove.
That's why most go unreported.
Civil court is a different matter.

The arrest warrant has already been withdrawn by the swedes..

Then it is probably as I surmised; some sexual/romantic misunderstanding or tête-à-tête that went awry.
People have drama. Even famous/notorious people.
Especially famous/notorious people.

Who cares? The man needs to go to prison and his website shut down. The fact that he's willing to get innocent people killed shows he's more then capable of rape. Not a shock to me.

Yeah, because the hoi polloi having access to all the facts is a bad, bad thing.
It's the duty of politicians to keep this dangerous information secret from the unwashed masses, who can't handle such knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom