• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WikiLeaks Data Seem to Show Pakistan Helped Attack American Troops

These things are elementary, Both of your wanting of the public to know every little facet of the war and how it is carried out is not for you to either know, nor is for you to judge, unless you are advocating the release of this information to lead to a loss in that effort.

j-mac

I am not demanding to know every facet of war.
But I do have a right to know if people screw up especially if they are British soldiers.
Of course it is for me to judge. UK is democratic the last time I looked

I'm happy with this leak. I'll be doubly happy if someone leaks MI5/6 reports.
I'd love to know what is occurring behind closed door that they have hidden from the public.

Last edited:
With the press tightly controlled in Afghanistan, I am happy the documents were leaked. Now we know just how badly the war is going and our governments can no longer lie to us. This is a democracy, we control the military by proxy of our elected officials, and I say this war needs to end now.

I agree, we do need to pull out.

ok, i'll bite
what are we?

Let's start with what we are not.

First of all, we (the U.S.) are not colonizers. We have no intention of spending decades occupying Afghanistan until one day they rise up and fight a war of independence against us.

Second we are not oppressors or imperialists. This is not to imply that we are perfect because we did lower our values at times during the Cold War and shook hands with some devils. But this is no longer the Cold War. Supporting dictators or containing them so that they can focus their deeds on their own population is not the future, nor has it been our post Cold War past (Hussein being the last hold out).

What we are...

We are democratic and the world has proven that our way of life and security depends on the health of their regions. The healthier they are the safer we are. Therefore, we fight for what we are. We fight for democracy. The Soviets fought for what they were. They were oppressors and imperialists and their invasion of Afghanistan simply refelcted the environment of their satellite bloc nations. Germany fought for dictatorship and domination and this reflected the environment of its people. Japan fought for imperialism andther occupied locales showed just that.

In order for us to spare the needless spilling of American blood we have to fight for what we are before the violence becomes more than it has to be. But....we can lead a horse to water, which is why success for Muslims means that they will have resist their urge to fail. Leaving Afghanistan before it is time will only ensure that we have to deal with an unhealthy situation later. Of course it will cost more money and blood to send troops back to where they already were won't it?

This is just like Iraq. The same couch potatos find themselves in a position to dictate what to do. Unreal. Iraq didn't quite pan out in accordance to the pundits and critics, therefore they simply shift their negativity and ignorance to the east in hopes to get one right.

Last edited:
So...just end it? Pick up our toys and go home and our enemies will just respect us for it and live out their remainder days in peace and harmony over a cold Coca~Cola? You forget who started it. I doubt they are willing to play nice.

See, the problem with being an American is that we seem to talk ourselves into more blood shed than we have to by pretending that matters "aren't our business" or that every situation has a peaceful and practical solution. Of course, diplomacy has a way of merely suspending warfare or reserving it for another day doesn't it? If we only find that one perfect gift, our enemies will behave and love us, right?

In the end, you fight for what you are.

We have to leave sometime. Or do you suggest we just stay there forever and ever? We cannot police the whole frigging world and need to stop trying.

Esp. til we get things right on the homefront.

i suppose you are similarly opposed to the subordinate employees of arlington national cemetary whistleblowing about the poor records management practices of their federal employer
but for that insight by staff releasing what the management would have wanted to keep secret, we would not have become aware of the massive ineptitude

Would that incompetence cost lives of innocent families, or our servicemen? I thought not.....NEXT!

j-mac

Would that incompetence cost lives of innocent families, or our servicemen? I thought not.....NEXT!

j-mac

ok, identify the cost of life resulting from the wikileaks exposure
before your point was the the government is entitled to its secrets
after recognizing that was a foolish position in light of the Arlington whistleblowing you have grown wiser and now want to find whistleblowing acceptable ... but within limits. such as whistleblowing which causes the loss of life
so, have at it. show us the loss of life resulting from the wikileaks experience

ok, identify the cost of life resulting from the wikileaks exposure
before your point was the the government is entitled to its secrets
after recognizing that was a foolish position in light of the Arlington whistleblowing you have grown wiser and now want to find whistleblowing acceptable ... but within limits. such as whistleblowing which causes the loss of life
so, have at it. show us the loss of life resulting from the wikileaks experience

uhm isn't your president concerned with the life threatening results of said leak?

He is the Rev's president too:lol:

uhm isn't your president concerned with the life threatening results of said leak?

it is my hope that my president would not be concerned with leaks which were not life threatening
what is surprisng is that so many who disparage the prospect of leaks had no problem with that dick, cheney disclosing the identify of a covert CIA operative to gain political advantage
my bad. the hypocrisy is not all that surprising

it is my hope that my president would not be concerned with leaks which were not life threatening
what is surprisng is that so many who disparage the prospect of leaks had no problem with that dick, cheney disclosing the identify of a covert CIA operative to gain political advantage
my bad. the hypocrisy is not all that surprising

As are the strawmen and loaded statements. :thumbs:

We have to leave sometime. Or do you suggest we just stay there forever and ever?

Ummmm...no. I suggest we leave "sometime." Your idea of when that is (NOW) has no study, no experience, and no real understanding behind it does it? Just a conclusion made from a reporter's notes and maybe a commentary or two as a base. Ever cracked a book about this region or culture? I doubt it.

We cannot police the whole frigging world and need to stop trying.

We haven't even tried to police the "entire frigging world." Do you know how big that is? How many troops do you think we have? This "world policemen" cliche is worn out. Another thing that is worn out is the ignorant -and yes it is entirely ignorant- idea that we have to create utopia in America before we can deal with the world's messes. How much of a utopia existed in the U.S. at the advent of two World Wars and a nuclear Cold War? Maybe we should have gotten our women's rights messes out of the way before we dealt with Japanese imperialists and German Nazis huh? Maybe we should have gotten our homeless and civil rights movements out of the way before we stopped the Soviet expansion all over the world huh? Get over it and think for yourself. But without thinking too hard on the matter, reflect hard on the condition of the environments that have threatened our way of life before we sent troops to fight.

Was Europe healthy?

Was the Pacific healthy?

Was the Soviet's ideas healthy?

Is the Middle East healthy?

By all means let's wait until millions of Americans have to die before we deal with the unhealthy regions of the world so Kali can feel superior to the people who focus so intently on such matters.

Last edited:
Ummmm...no. I suggest we leave "sometime."
it should be noted that "sometime" has not yet occurred in germany, japan, okinawa, etc. there are few on this board who have lived when our military presence was not situated in those locales
and these countries have rebounded from the devastation of war
why should we expect anything else in iraq and now afghanistan ... and probably soon, pakistan, other than generations of spending American taxes to underwrite the military's presence in those nations to assure those nations' political processes are in sync with our own
Your idea of when that is (NOW) has no study, no experience, and no real understanding behind it does it? Just a conclusion made from a reporter's notes and maybe a commentary or two as a base. Ever cracked a book about this region or culture? I doubt it.
what pray tell, provides you with a better lens into that region than an other forum member? and if you have an actual advantage, from your posts on this matter, it would appear you have squandered it
We haven't even tried to police the "entire frigging world." Do you know how big that is? How many troops do you think we have? This "world policemen" cliche is worn out.
that term is worn out from use - because it so aptly describes our foreign policy for multiple generations. what we cannot achieve thru negotiation we compel by military might
Another thing that is worn out is the ignorant -and yes it is entirely ignorant- idea that we have to create utopia in America before we can deal with the world's messes.
you are invited to prove your point, otherwise we can dimiss this attempt at a rebuttal as a lame strawman. but prove me wrong and identify the posts where our members have insisted that we must attain utopia in the USA before we intervene in foreign affairs
How much of a utopia existed in the U.S. at the advent of two World Wars and a nuclear Cold War? Maybe we should have gotten our women's rights messes out of the way before we dealt with Japanese imperialists and German Nazis huh? Maybe we should have gotten our homeless and civil rights movements out of the way before we stopped the Soviet expansion all over the world huh? Get over it and think for yourself.
that is a poor example of what you would pretend to be intelligent thought
no one is asserting that our other national interests should not be subordinate to the defense of our nation. but i suspect there are a significant number of us who would object to our nations expenditure of national treasure, reputation and the blood of our youth to initiate misguided offensive actions without purpose. that absence of stated clear purpose to engage in war prohibits the ability to recognize what constitutes victory in those costly military engagements
But without thinking too hard on the matter, reflect hard on the condition of the environments that have threatened our way of life before we sent troops to fight.

Was Europe healthy?

Was the Pacific healthy?

Was the Soviet's ideas healthy?

Is the Middle East healthy?

By all means let's wait until millions of Americans have to die before we deal with the unhealthy regions of the world so Kali can feel superior to the people who focus so intently on such matters.
why is it America's responsibility to cure whatever might ail europe, the pacific, the soviet union, and/or the middle east? why should we not instead tend to our own affairs ... mind our own business ... effect a libertarian philosophy that they are able to do whatever they choose so long as their actions do not intrude on our nation's ability to do the same?

this war, tragically, is a disaster

we're sposed to be going after al qaeda but only 50 or so are actually IN afghanistan

Leon Panetta: There May Be Fewer Than 50 Al Qaeda Fighters In Afghanistan

the international terrorists are in pakistan

and the isi is selling us out (surprised?)

june was the deadliest month of this longest of all american wars, until july

karzai's a crook AND a kook, there's billions of us dollars flying out of kabul

Aid cash feared lost as billions is flown out of Kabul

remember when the corrupt crackpot threatened to join the taliban?

CBC News - World - Karzai threatens to join Taliban

gibbs was "frustrated"

so were our troops

the outing by and of mcchrystal was a disaster

the white house is all over the place on withdrawal, transition, thin out---it changes almost weekly

holbrooke equivocates on dealing with the haqqani

and john kerry on last sunday's fareed zakaria openly pondered the possibility of looking to iran to "help change the equation" in the region

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

no wonder our "allies" must all look out for #'s 1

Last edited:
it should be noted that "sometime" has not yet occurred in germany, japan, okinawa, etc. there are few on this board who have lived when our military presence was not situated in those locales
and these countries have rebounded from the devastation of war
why should we expect anything else in iraq and now afghanistan ...

Because you are capable of thought? I know I'm placing myself on a limb assuming as much, but places like Germany, Japan, and Okinawa aren't really wanting us to leave. Iraq and Afghanistan are like other locations. They are volatile and temporary. Vietnam was volatile, we left. The Phillipines wanted us gone, we left. South Korea wanted us to stay, we stayed. Somalia wanted us gone, we left. Cuba was left in Cuban hands a long time ago. Do I really need to invoke the history?

what pray tell, provides you with a better lens into that region than an other forum member? and if you have an actual advantage, from your posts on this matter, it would appear you have squandered it

You may stand alone on this. It's not so much about an advantage as it is about getting informed beyond the television guru. Perhaps this is why you think your opinion counts so much. What have you actually studied about this region? My guess is nothing. You, like others, hang on the words of reporters swaying your opinons back and forth with no real understanding into perspectives, history, direction, tactics, or big picture diplomacy. Much of the opinions I see now about Afghanistan are the same I saw in regards to Iraq until they were proven wrong. Instead of learning, they merely spewed their garbage to the east towards the other war. In the end, they are clueless and guessing from one event to the next.

that term is worn out from use - because it so aptly describes our foreign policy for multiple generations. what we cannot achieve thru negotiation we compel by military might

So....every corner of the world has a soldier? Every border is manned by American troops? "World Policemen" is an ignorant term. It always has been since the original "Police Action" in Korea. There have been ethnic cleansings and genocides and conflicts artound the world that have had no American troop presence whatsoever. By the way, negotiations are failures for civilians. It's when they can't fathom their failure and inject those failures into military affairs that cause the big problems.

You are invited to prove your point, otherwise we can dimiss this attempt at a rebuttal as a lame strawman. but prove me wrong and identify the posts where our members have insisted that we must attain utopia in the USA before we intervene in foreign affairs

Thanks for the invite. As it so happend, the person this was directed to expressly stated "Esp. til we get things right on the homefront." And what determines when we are "right?" At what point are we permitted to protect foreign interests for sake of security? Perhaps you are not aware, but much of Congress was against intervention in Europe in regards to Germany on the grounds that it wasn't our business and that we have enough problems of our own to deal with. Notice how the same tired ass argument gets passed on?

One easily gets the idea that until utopia occurs, Americans have local problems to deal with first no matter what the world is shaping up to be. Anything to legimtize cowardice to do what is right.

why is it America's responsibility to cure whatever might ail europe, the pacific, the soviet union, and/or the middle east? why should we not instead tend to our own affairs ... mind our own business ... effect a libertarian philosophy that they are able to do whatever they choose so long as their actions do not intrude on our nation's ability to do the same?

I know your frustration. Been there, moved on. You are closed minded, but I'll give it a shot.....

Because we have made it our responsibility for our own sake. In the beginning, it was Americans that fought a war with the Barbary Pirates (early 19th century) to secure our shipments through the Mediterranean Sea (the rest of the world benefitted). We enjoyed our isolation until the world dragged us out for a World War because Europe's celebration ofmisbehavior was effecting our economy and prosperity. We went back into isolation and refused to play in Europe's Second World War until it had to cost more Americans and treasure than it had to. At this point in history it wasn't hard for policy makers and tacticians to recognize that the health of foreign regions determined our security and our lives. Next was a Cold War where the Soviet Union had influence over most of the world before the mid 1950s. Minding our own business in the Middle East meant a Soviet controlled Middle East. After the Cold War, we continued tohave nothing to do with how their leaders treated them and widely minded our own business. 9/11 was yet another reminder that unhealthy regions will touch us. Today, an entire screwed up region of eastern Africa threatens shipping lanes. In a world that has been shaped around international trades, agreements, and pacts we can't afford to roll the dice and hope all is well. We don't have a big brother like others do.

You want to mind your own business? So did many Americans until they were forced to die in even greater numbers because they waited too long to deal with an inevitable problem. Find someone else to referee the world. Problem is that Europe is too busy criticizing America for living and damn well not willing to step in to protect even themselves. We've tried minding our own business. They insist we don't.

The libertarian philosophy is BS in a world full of villians. We deal with governments. Arab governments are free to do as they like. They are free to invite us to build a base. They are free to request our assistance to deal with regional bad guys. They are also free to govern their people as they see fit. But this is where we get to be the "evil" in some of their citizen's world. You call us global cops. The truth is that we are victims of our own hands off approach. We don't prescribe oppression and brutality. They do this to themselves. Even "our" Shah came with positive civil and social instructions. In the end, our enemies have still contested us and today they reach out and insist on war. Even today, our general theme is one of isolationalism. This idea that we don't mind our own business is yet another worn out cliche used by people who haven't a clue.

Last edited:
Damn I wish I could articulate the way you do. Thakyou for the depth and perspective you bring to this forum.

Damn I wish I could articulate the way you do. Thakyou for the depth and perspective you bring to this forum.

Thanks. I try, though 'justabubba' thinks differently.

We have to leave sometime. Or do you suggest we just stay there forever and ever? We cannot police the whole frigging world and need to stop trying.

We will not leave Afghanistan for the foreseeable future, just in the same way that we have troops present throughout the world. Our mass forces will depart, but we will have a presence.

The argument for "homefront" concentration is legitimate, but the United States' position in the world and at home is likewise influenced by foreign affairs. The homefront will never be fully understood and finalized, which though tempting to use as justification for not involving our resources, could likewise be a detriment for American interests. Our use of "policing the world" is multifaceted, and it is hard to make the argument that we are really trying to apply our Afghanistan and Iraq experiences to the rest of the world.

Likewise, the appeal to American history with regard to isolationism has its own complications. The simplified truth was that we interfered when we felt we must, or when some felt we must. If one were to say we were isolationist until sometime in the 20th century, then that would be to overlook many policy decisions of the previous century before that. It is perfectly acceptable to suggest that there has mostly been an element....an inkling, that prolonged combat, and intentional attempts to hold the United States down with foreign policy choices should be avoided whenever possible, and yet there is also the acceptability of suggesting that it went the other way as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom