• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wielding the threat of war, a new, more aggressive Putin steps forward

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
""...Putin views himself increasingly in historical terms. “Putin has got himself so wrapped up with the Russian state that he can’t extract himself from the idea that he is the state,” said Fiona Hill, who held the top Russia post at the NSC under President Donald Trump. “He is already living history.” To lose Ukraine would be to suffer a severe humiliation in Putin’s eyes, she said, describing Putin’s thinking as, “He’s not going to let Ukraine get away, not on his watch.”

The pandemic left Putin isolated and surrounded by a group of hard-liners who, like him, fail to comprehend the genuine rise in pro-Western sentiment in Ukraine, said Tatiana Stanovaya, a political analyst at R. Politik. In Putin’s eyes, she said, Ukrainians are like “hostages” to foreign interests suffering from Stockholm syndrome, who don’t realize their true interests lie with Russia. “It’s a very dangerous situation in that he is closing in on himself,” Stanovaya said, arguing that Putin believes no one recognizes Moscow’s concerns, so he has no choice but to opt for the most radical scenario.
His pandemic isolation was punctuated last July by the release of a sweeping historical treatise in which he said sovereignty for Ukraine is possible “only in partnership with Russia” and described the country as a vassal state being used by Western nations to attack Moscow. “We will never allow our historical territories and people close to us living there to be used against Russia,” he said. “And to those who will undertake such an attempt, I would like to say that this way they will destroy their own country.”"

...“People say, ‘He wouldn’t dare. He is not going to cross this line of a large-scale war in Europe,’” said Michael Kofman, a Russian military analyst at research group CNA. “I would love to agree. But in the last three years I have seen him cross a lot of lines I thought he wouldn’t.”"

Link

Putin is, if course, playing a very dangerous game. The countries around him look west, for obvious reasons, while a terribly aggrieved Putin is determined to make Russia great again. Sound familiar? You can't go home again. Let's hope Putin doesn't destroy the world and we don't destroy ourselves trying to get there.

Read the OP. Look at how they assign motive, intent, reasoning, and create narratives. They actually pretend to know what people are thinking. Not only is it arrogance, it's entirely fabricated by people who know nothing about the people they write about.

This is how liberals lie. This is how they create entirely fictitious narratives and soft-sell it to their audience. What's even more fascinating is how people will pile into this thread and agree from a position of complete ignorance.

Read the OP. Look at how they assign motive, intent, reasoning, and create narratives. They actually pretend to know what people are thinking. Not only is it arrogance, it's entirely fabricated by people who know nothing about the people they write about.

This is how liberals lie. This is how they create entirely fictitious narratives and soft-sell it to their audience. What's even more fascinating is how people will pile into this thread and agree from a position of complete ignorance.

Interesting. You feel Putin is getting a raw deal here? How would you change, correct "the narrative?"

Sorry they dissed your Vladimir.

Any one else notice Putin never messed with the rest of the world when W Bush and Trump were in office? Then comes Obama and Putin says gimme Crimea from Ukraine and he has it. Now Obama Jr. aka Biden is president so Putin thinks he can take more Ukrainian territory. This is how world wars start.

Any one else notice Putin never messed with the rest of the world when W Bush and Trump were in office? Then comes Obama and Putin says gimme Crimea from Ukraine and he has it. Now Obama Jr. aka Biden is president so Putin thinks he can take more Ukrainian territory. This is how world wars start.

Putin rebuilt his military on Trump's watch.

What's it got to do with the topic?

Putin rebuilt his military on Trump's watch.

What's it got to do with the topic?

I thought the topic was a more aggressive Putin. I'm curious why he wasn't more aggressive on the world stage under the four years of Trump?

I thought the topic was a more aggressive Putin. I'm curious why he wasn't more aggressive on the world stage under the four years of Trump?
He didn't have to. Trump was his bitch.

He didn't have to. Trump was his bitch.

So Trump being Putin's bitch kept Russia from invading Ukraine for 4 years? World politics simply amaze me sometimes.

"

-----

Putin is, if course, playing a very dangerous game. The countries around him look west, for obvious reasons, while a terribly aggrieved Putin is determined to make Russia great again. Sound familiar? You can't go home again. Let's hope Putin doesn't destroy the world and we don't destroy ourselves trying to get there.

Vlad has done nothing but sit there watching and laughing at the US being silly .
What happened to the intel that Russia was invading yesterday ?The sixth firm date that they have inexcusably missed !!
No wonder Bejing viewing figures were so bad on Feb 4 . Everybody was glued to News channels waiting for Sleepy's invasion date forecast to come true . Wrong again , Sleepy !

Do you think Vlad keeps hinting at invasion dates just to watch Sleepy repeatedly make himself a laughing stock ?
Very naughty Vlad . You have impaled Sleepy every week for the last few months .

So Trump being Putin's bitch kept Russia from invading Ukraine for 4 years? World politics simply amaze me sometimes.

Putin wanted to buildup his army before invading Ukraine again. While doing that, he was content that Trump undermine NATO. I think he's a little surprised at how quickly Biden harassed NATO in defense of Ukraine.

Putin is not this masterplanner and chess player as people think. He is often improvising which is why he seldom actually gets the response he wants (just look at 2014). I don't think he knew if he wanted war or not until very recently, but his action yesterday proves it's war he is after now.

""...Putin views himself increasingly in historical terms. “Putin has got himself so wrapped up with the Russian state that he can’t extract himself from the idea that he is the state,” said Fiona Hill, who held the top Russia post at the NSC under President Donald Trump. “He is already living history.” To lose Ukraine would be to suffer a severe humiliation in Putin’s eyes, she said, describing Putin’s thinking as, “He’s not going to let Ukraine get away, not on his watch.”

The pandemic left Putin isolated and surrounded by a group of hard-liners who, like him, fail to comprehend the genuine rise in pro-Western sentiment in Ukraine, said Tatiana Stanovaya, a political analyst at R. Politik. In Putin’s eyes, she said, Ukrainians are like “hostages” to foreign interests suffering from Stockholm syndrome, who don’t realize their true interests lie with Russia. “It’s a very dangerous situation in that he is closing in on himself,” Stanovaya said, arguing that Putin believes no one recognizes Moscow’s concerns, so he has no choice but to opt for the most radical scenario.
His pandemic isolation was punctuated last July by the release of a sweeping historical treatise in which he said sovereignty for Ukraine is possible “only in partnership with Russia” and described the country as a vassal state being used by Western nations to attack Moscow. “We will never allow our historical territories and people close to us living there to be used against Russia,” he said. “And to those who will undertake such an attempt, I would like to say that this way they will destroy their own country.”"

...“People say, ‘He wouldn’t dare. He is not going to cross this line of a large-scale war in Europe,’” said Michael Kofman, a Russian military analyst at research group CNA. “I would love to agree. But in the last three years I have seen him cross a lot of lines I thought he wouldn’t.”"

Link

IMO, Putin is greatly into powerplay games that inflates his ego even further. He sows chaos at opportune times. By doing so, people inside his own country and neighboring countries fear what this little dangerous man may do next. Said exKBG dictator has enough weaponry and man/woman power standing with him, who'll take his orders and run with it. It quickly becomes the question about how far Putin's aggression will go in the moment. When military offensive operations deliver chaos beyond their own borders, world markets react driving prices higher - further driving uncertainty among countries with populations wondering if the aggressor should be stopped asap or wait until it reaches their doorstep. Of course, sanctions are put in place and with that, who knows how long our entire world can take more rising prices and shortages of products as Putin continues his madman push. If this goes on for years, then Russia becomes economically isolated to some degree. We've seen what that has done to a country like N Korea and how Jong un still makes threats with his few smaller nukes in pursuit to get some economic relief while under sanctions. During this much larger threat, Putin has more than a leg up with his huge nuclear arsenal. What may he do to show further threats to get economic relief? China still appears ok with Putin. Who else may side with Russia during this show of strength of a power push? Is it possible that after a 2024 presidential election, we'll know the answer to that? We've seen a few previews. Fame and power - the very thing that madmen pursue with all of their might and are able to obtain, when enough ignorant people get behind them.

Back
Top Bottom