• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHY?

Of all of them, I believe DeSantis is the only one that means it. The others? A grift or positioning within the party.

One of our Righties believes this is all part of something called "the splinter strategy" forgetting that by splintering the vote for who should be running for the Republicans, they are guaranteeing a win for Trump. It's silly season, when there are those out there that come up with some wild conspiracy theory to explain why so many Republicans are now running against Trump.

Others, like you have, have come up with more sagacious and probable theories. Money being one, positioning for 2018 being another. Some believe Trump won't make it if indicted so they are jumping in now. I'm not sure about THAT theory. There may be other reasons they are jumping in that I haven't thought of which is why I asked the question.

The perspective has a flaw, we have too many early predictions race to race that end up very much wrong.

In 2020 a far number of commentators suggested Trump was weak for reelection and some 4-5 idiots tried to run against him in the primary to varying degrees of spectacular losses, largely thanks to Republican Party politics ensuring very little fuss or muss from who tried it.

Also in 2020 fairly early on, Biden was no where near the top of the pack, with some 9-10 who stayed in at least into the primary season to various later losses and campaign "suspensions" even with Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada going poorly for Biden. Sanders even secured 1000+ delegates to Biden's eventual 2600+ delegates.

Going back to 2016 fairly early on, Trump was no where near the top of the pack and the *only* reason Clinton made it past Sanders was insider Democratic Party shenanigans that were profound and obvious enough that the DNC went through a series of reforms largely to save face.

The so called "splinter strategy" is a bit bipartisan and also a bit of a joke, and we have seen a series of career and off / on politicians run for President from both sides of the isle having no prayer in hell of winning but do so for those very reasons. Money making, name on a national scale, and some view of how the opposition is doing.

Trump presents a whole slew of wildcards for 2024 now that everyone knows who he really is. Not unifying, love him or hate him polarizing above all others, and his whole intention with 2024 is to go on a revenge tour having no shits to give over America, our citizens, or our place in the world.

All that said, the way too early predictions are DeSantis has an all uphill battle and the others who are running are there almost entirely for their own future ends. But as we've noted, just about anything can happen. Just like it did in 2016 when everyone was just sure Hillary would win... right up to the point of her spectacular loss and subsequent 'everyone else is at fault' tour.

You really sure 2024 is your "silly season," you sleeping in 2020 and 2016?

One of our Righties believes this is all part of something called "the splinter strategy" forgetting that by splintering the vote for who should be running for the Republicans, they are guaranteeing a win for Trump.
That's not how the splitter strategy works at the presidential level.

All those candidates are expected to have a showing in specific state primaries...taking votes away from Trump. It doesn't matter if they win a primary or not. Then, at some point, they will drop out and tell their voters to go with DeSantis...giving DeSantis (hopefully) a commanding share of the Republican vote in time for the convention.

That's exactly what the GOP Elites tried to do in 2016, but their intended candidate...Jeb...crashed early. Then they had to scramble to use the splitter strategy to help their next choice...Marco...he crashed and they went with Cruz. What killed their strategy was the Republican rank and file not playing their game. They went with Trump.

And that's what is going to happen again.

The splitter strategy won't work and DeSantis won't get the nomination.

My question:

Was THAT answering my question?? :rolleyes:
Yes.

I told you exactly why there are so many candidates for the Republican nomination.

You may not LIKE my answer, but my answer is fact.

The perspective has a flaw, we have too many early predictions race to race that end up very much wrong.

In 2020 a far number of commentators suggested Trump was weak for reelection and some 4-5 idiots tried to run against him in the primary to varying degrees of spectacular losses, largely thanks to Republican Party politics ensuring very little fuss or muss from who tried it.

Also in 2020 fairly early on, Biden was no where near the top of the pack, with some 9-10 who stayed in at least into the primary season to various later losses and campaign "suspensions" even with Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada going poorly for Biden. Sanders even secured 1000+ delegates to Biden's eventual 2600+ delegates.

Going back to 2016 fairly early on, Trump was no where near the top of the pack and the *only* reason Clinton made it past Sanders was insider Democratic Party shenanigans that were profound and obvious enough that the DNC went through a series of reforms largely to save face.

The so called "splinter strategy" is a bit bipartisan and also a bit of a joke, and we have seen a series of career and off / on politicians run for President from both sides of the isle having no prayer in hell of winning but do so for those very reasons. Money making, name on a national scale, and some view of how the opposition is doing.

Trump presents a whole slew of wildcards for 2024 now that everyone knows who he really is. Not unifying, love him or hate him polarizing above all others, and his whole intention with 2024 is to go on a revenge tour having no shits to give over America, our citizens, or our place in the world.

All that said, the way too early predictions are DeSantis has an all uphill battle and the others who are running are there almost entirely for their own future ends. But as we've noted, just about anything can happen. Just like it did in 2016 when everyone was just sure Hillary would win... right up to the point of her spectacular loss and subsequent 'everyone else is at fault' tour.

You really sure 2024 is your "silly season," you sleeping in 2020 and 2016?
The silly season was strictly a reference to what I consider wild "conspiracy" theories. It suggests a "collusion" among the other candidates, something someone like Mycroft believes in. I highlighted one line in your rebuttal that, to me, seems more likely.

The silly season was strictly a reference to what I consider wild "conspiracy" theories. It suggests a "collusion" among the other candidates, something someone like Mycroft believes in. I highlighted one line in your rebuttal that, to me, seems more likely.
There IS collusion among the Republican candidates. Heck, they aren't even hiding it.

(Via NBC) Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis met with New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu in the first primary state Friday afternoon in Concord, Sununu’s office confirmed.

“Governor Sununu is ready and willing to meet with all potential candidates who come to New Hampshire, and was happy to meet with Governor DeSantis for an hour today at his office in the State House, where they discussed a wide range of issues, including how to do well in the New Hampshire primary,” Sununu spokesman Ben Vihstadt told NBC News in a statement. (more)

Sununu is running against all other Republican candidates (supposedly), so why on earth would he be meeting with selected candidates to talk about "how to do well" in his state's primary. It's bullshit. They are planning how to do well against Trump.

There IS collusion among the Republican candidates. Heck, they aren't even hiding it.

(Via NBC) Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis met with New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu in the first primary state Friday afternoon in Concord, Sununu’s office confirmed.
“Governor Sununu is ready and willing to meet with all potential candidates who come to New Hampshire, and was happy to meet with Governor DeSantis for an hour today at his office in the State House, where they discussed a wide range of issues, including how to do well in the New Hampshire primary,” Sununu spokesman Ben Vihstadt told NBC News in a statement. (more)

Sununu is running against all other Republican candidates (supposedly), so why on earth would he be meeting with selected candidates to talk about "how to do well" in his state's primary. It's bullshit. They are planning how to do well against Trump.
But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away
What seems to be
Is always better than nothing
(Doobie Brothers)

But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away
What seems to be
Is always better than nothing
(Doobie Brothers)

That should be the theme song for OnlyFans.

Back
Top Bottom