• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHY?

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ok, I have a question I like to ask based on an interesting interview I heard on the radio this morning.

The question arose about WHY all of a sudden so many Republicans are jumping into the race.

Some prophesized that the other candidates see legal jeopardy for Trump and that creates an opening for them to get some national recognition.

Others have prophesized that each of the candidates jumping in knows they can't win but are trying to position themselves as possible VP picks under Trump.

One person during the interview even suggested that so many are jumping in not with the hopes of winning in 2024 but in hopes of raising their profile for 2028. On reflection, I found this theory plausible.

All pundits agree that the more candidates that jump into the race, the more it benefits Trump since the other candidates will just cancel each other out.

Knowing this, why would so many others like Haley, Scott, Hutchinson and now DeSantis, as well as other long-shots even bother?

Rather than turning my question into an opportunity to make partisan speeches, I am hoping you all can just answer my question.

What is YOUR theory as to why so many candidates are suddenly jumping into the race?

Ok, I have a question I like to ask based on an interesting interview I heard on the radio this morning.

The question arose about WHY all of a sudden so many Republicans are jumping into the race.

Some prophesized that the other candidates see legal jeopardy for Trump and that creates an opening for them to get some national recognition.

Others have prophesized that each of the candidates jumping in knows they can't win but are trying to position themselves as possible VP picks under Trump.

One person during the interview even suggested that so many are jumping in not with the hopes of winning in 2024 but in hopes of raising their profile for 2028. On reflection, I found this theory plausible.

All pundits agree that the more candidates that jump into the race, the more it benefits Trump since the other candidates will just cancel each other out.

Knowing this, why would so many others like Haley, Scott, Hutchinson and now DeSantis, as well as other long-shots even bother?

Rather than turning my question into an opportunity to make partisan speeches, I am hoping you all can just answer my question.
They are all wrong...whether deliberately or not.

What is YOUR theory as to why so many candidates are suddenly jumping into the race?
It's not a theory. It's a fact.

There are only two candidates that matter at this point: Trump and DeSantis.

All the rest...with the possible exception of that Ramaswamy guy...are participants in the GOP Elite's splitter strategy.

You don't know what the splitter strategy is? Here's some info from a past DP thread: https://debatepolitics.com/threads/the-election-splitter-strategy.479739/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Especially the relatively younger ones. Donald won't be around forever - these "kids" get their names in the media now, generate some buzz, and play off that past 2024 when Donald is no longer around to enthrall and obsess the GOP base. Same reason why almost none of them have the stones to openly criticize Trump at present - they are protecting their long term interests.

The people and organization who have been spending money for years to keep the GOP voters thinking a certain way do not like that a portion their voters have been captured by Trump.

Thus, there is a ton of money to be had for anyone who is willing to challenge his control of those voters, even if it's highly unlikely.

All the rest...with the possible exception of that Ramaswamy guy...are participants in the GOP Elite's splitter strategy.

You don't know what the splitter strategy is? Here's some info from a past DP thread: https://debatepolitics.com/threads/the-election-splitter-strategy.479739/
BUT............... I asked for YOUR theory as to why they are jumping into the race, even knowing they can't win. I did NOT ask for what your latest grievance is against the other candidates, just what your THEORY is as to why they are jumping into the race.
Maybe the question was too complex for you?

Especially the relatively younger ones. Donald won't be around forever - these "kids" get their names in the media now, generate some buzz, and play off that past 2024 when Donald is no longer around to enthrall and obsess the GOP base. Same reason why almost none of them have the stones to openly criticize Trump at present - they are protecting their long term interests.
That seems to be one of the theories: that they are positioning themselves for 2028. That one sounds plausible to me.

The people and organization who have been spending money for years to keep the GOP voters thinking a certain way do not like that a portion their voters have been captured by Trump.

Thus, there is a ton of money to be had for anyone who is willing to challenge his control of those voters, even if it's highly unlikely.
Another vote for the money theory.

BUT............... I asked for YOUR theory as to why they are jumping into the race, even knowing they can't win. I did NOT ask for what your latest grievance is against the other candidates, just what your THEORY is as to why they are jumping into the race.
Maybe the question was too complex for you?
I think it's likely my post was too complex for you to wrap your mind around...or, more likely, that your bias caused you to perceive something that wasn't in my post.

I didn't express any grievance against any candidate. I told you why all those candidates who have no chance at getting the nomination are in the race.

I told you why all those candidates who have no chance at getting the nomination are in the race.
Yet I didn't ask you about that. If you don't care to answer, just say no thanks. Instead you want to use this thread, as you do with so many others, to give YOUR opinion about things I didn't ask about.

What should I say about this?

How about: Bye!

So whom do you suppose is the beneficiary of your elaborate fantasy scenario?

So whom do you suppose is the beneficiary of your elaborate fantasy scenario?
The GOP Elites plan for it to be DeSantis.

It's not a fantasy. The same strategy was executed back in 2016 and it would have worked if Trump hadn't come along.

I don't think there is a downside for them. Donations and the party fund all of it. They get a national platform, hosted on CNN and the like, etc. Sort of like asking a football player if he wants to be sponsored for an advertising campaign for Nike or Reebok. What's the downside? :)

Yet I didn't ask you about that. If you don't care to answer, just say no thanks. Instead you want to use this thread, as you do with so many others, to give YOUR opinion about things I didn't ask about.

What should I say about this?

How about: Bye!
Your words, right?

Your words, right?
My question:

Your answer:

Was THAT answering my question?? :rolleyes:

So, till you can actually answer the question I asked - bye!

It is not a theory, but observable from what is being said and what ultimately happens with things like this.

Most are jumping in because there is money to be made from a large pool of Republican wealth, a means to campaign and make a name for themselves nationally using this go round for the future, and they all sense blood in the water from Biden and Democrats today as a means to talk.

None of this is earth shattering brand new strategy, on anyone's part.

They all believe they are the one. Imo, any politician that says they aren't interested in the top job is lying.

It is not a theory, but observable from what is being said and what ultimately happens with things like this.

Most are jumping in because there is money to be made from a large pool of Republican wealth, a means to campaign and make a name for themselves nationally using this go round for the future, and they all sense blood in the water from Biden and Democrats today as a means to talk.

None of this is earth shattering brand new strategy, on anyone's part.
One of our Righties believes this is all part of something called "the splinter strategy" forgetting that by splintering the vote for who should be running for the Republicans, they are guaranteeing a win for Trump. It's silly season, when there are those out there that come up with some wild conspiracy theory to explain why so many Republicans are now running against Trump.

Others, like you have, have come up with more sagacious and probable theories. Money being one, positioning for 2018 being another. Some believe Trump won't make it if indicted so they are jumping in now. I'm not sure about THAT theory. There may be other reasons they are jumping in that I haven't thought of which is why I asked the question.

They all believe they are the one
I am not convinced they are all that delusional to think they are the "one" for this election cycle. Maybe for some future election, yes.

Then they're stupid as hell. Ronda Fascist is so far off the rails he's unlikely to get even a single independent vote.

View attachment 67449627
The GOP Elites don't care. They'll be happy if DeSantis crashes and burns and Biden...or anyone else the Dem Elites trot out...as long as Trump doesn't get the Republican nomination.

The GOP Elites don't care. They'll be happy if DeSantis crashes and burns and Biden...or anyone else the Dem Elites trot out...as long as Trump doesn't get the Republican nomination.
tRump can't win the general any more than DeFascist can, for much the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom