• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why your TV sucks and your internet is slow and expensive

Wireless internet is more limited by bandwidth though, right? I think you can only get up to 6 MBPS right now, and every company has data caps. In comparison, google fiber is 1000 MBPS with no data caps, for around the same price.

I believe you're correct but I'm only getting 10mbps now and it streams movies fine and downloads anything I need quick enough. The problem I'm finding with something like AT&T as an alternative service is they're not that much cheaper for comparable service. I need more incentive to switch.

Just found out they have 24mpbs download available for more money.

I believe you're correct but I'm only getting 10mbps now and it streams movies fine and downloads anything I need quick enough. The problem I'm finding with something like AT&T as an alternative service is they're not that much cheaper for comparable service. I need more incentive to switch.

Just found out they have 24mpbs download available for more money.

Uverse is just old DSL technology. That's why you plug the modem in to your phone jack. It's even older and slower than cable.

AT&T advertises it as fiber optic because they have fiber optic lines running between hubs, but to your door it's just the standard AT&T phone line and a DSL hookup.

AT&T also caps your usage.... meaning if you go over a certain number of Gigs per month, they either charge you more, or slow down your internet.

Uverse is just old DSL technology. That's why you plug the modem in to your phone jack. It's even older and slower than cable.

AT&T advertises it as fiber optic because they have fiber optic lines running between hubs, but to your door it's just the standard AT&T phone line and a DSL hookup.

AT&T also caps your usage.... meaning if you go over a certain number of Gigs per month, they either charge you more, or slow down your internet.

I'm surprised with smartphone technology connecting to the internet wireless there isn't the same service available for home? I checked with Verizon and they go thru your local cable operator. It does sound like some kind of corporate/gov rigging to keep companies from competing and driving down prices.

If they ever just come out with low cost wireless internet for a home PC you could get your TV service online.
I found one called Clear that offers 4G service for home internet but again the service isn't cheap.

Last edited:
I'm surprised with smartphone technology connecting to the internet wireless there isn't the same service available for home? I checked with Verizon and they go thru your local cable operator. It does sound like some kind of corporate/gov rigging to keep companies from competing and driving down prices.

If they ever just come out with low cost wireless internet for a home PC you could get your TV service online.

I agree. They do have something called MiFi (mobile hotspots), but they're not nearly as fast, cheap, or reliable as fiber optic broadband.

It would be cool to take your internet with you everywhere you go, though. No doubt.

I agree. They do have something called MiFi (mobile hotspots), but they're not nearly as fast, cheap, or reliable as fiber optic broadband.

It would be cool to take your internet with you everywhere you go, though. No doubt.

Yeah, I just found they're data limited to 2GB a month. That can be used up awful fast and forget streaming movies or TV. They're going to price themselves right out of business eventually.

Yeah, I just found they're data limited to 2GB a month. That can be used up awful fast and forget streaming movies or TV. They're going to price themselves right out of business eventually.

Yep, that's why I don't want to get one. I don't want to deal with a phone company and their overage fees. Much as I hate the cable companies for being monopolies and having terrible customer service, the phone companies are worse.

meh....I'm stuck with Hughesnet satelite DSL. they put a cap of 485mB per day on downloads which sucks for me as an online MMORPG player. everytime TRION pushes out an update I have to set an alarm to get up at 2 a.m. to do my download/update. hell, a couple of youtube videos can bust my cap and then you get put on "slow down" mode for 24 hours unless you want to pay $10. but where I live it's that or nothing. none of the other satelite companies are any better. I do have a version wireless card but that has a 5G per month cap as well. one good RIFT patch/upgrade and that's gone.

meh....I'm stuck with Hughesnet satelite DSL. they put a cap of 485mB per day on downloads which sucks for me as an online MMORPG player. everytime TRION pushes out an update I have to set an alarm to get up at 2 a.m. to do my download/update. hell, a couple of youtube videos can bust my cap and then you get put on "slow down" mode for 24 hours unless you want to pay $10. but where I live it's that or nothing. none of the other satelite companies are any better. I do have a version wireless card but that has a 5G per month cap as well. one good RIFT patch/upgrade and that's gone.

That sucks. I'd be tempted to just pay someone to run a line to my house.

You can't get plain DSL either? Do you have a phone jack?

That sucks. I'd be tempted to just pay someone to run a line to my house.

You can't get plain DSL either? Do you have a phone jack?

yeah, contacted the local cable company....they wanted $6K just to run a hub to my house and then $80/month for service. maybe if I hit the lottery I'll spring for it.

as for plain DSL....phone company does not offer it in my area.

one of the few downsides to living in the boonies away from most of the idiots.

yeah, contacted the local cable company....they wanted $6K just to run a hub to my house and then $80/month for service. maybe if I hit the lottery I'll spring for it.

You'd be the only one on that hub though, so chances are it would be super fast.

I wonder if all the wireless companies have caps. I have an AT&T wireless card for work with no cap, but we're a business account. It's reasonably fast (around 5MBPS which is reasonable considering what it is).

Well maybe it's time for a move sure you have more idiots around you but at least you can use as much internet as you want.

Well maybe it's time for a move sure you have more idiots around you but at least you can use as much internet as you want.

nah, crappy internet is a small price to pay for the privacy and pleasure living on 10 acres of my own land brings ;)

Back
Top Bottom