• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why you should vote for Gary Johnson

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Since the dawn of the US, the voters have had to deal with 2 ideologies. Overtime, the 2 ideologies have changed to where one promotes keyanesianism, secularization, protecting minorities, gun control, 2 state solution, and globalization while the other is typically religious, anti gay marriage, lazzie faire, gun rights, war on drugs, pro israel, and americocentrism (only america matters). The problem is that most people are a mix of those 2: they believe that saying that religion in education is biased but teaching evolution isn't is hypocritical but also that gay marriage is a personal freedom or that global warming is not a myth but also that unborn children have a right to live. This is where third parties come in. Most candidates go unheard of understandably as the news hardly covers them.

Here's a video about Gary Johnson whom I will be voting for (if he gets the libertarian nomination)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjVTBKVGDFE

Some people might tell me that there's no way that Johnson can win (thanks a lot winner take all system) and you might be right but if you asked me to pick between mercury and gasoline, I'd pick water.

Gary Johnson a perennial candidate that has no chance. Next...

Since the dawn of the US, the voters have had to deal with 2 ideologies. Overtime, the 2 ideologies have changed to where one promotes keyanesianism, secularization, protecting minorities, gun control, 2 state solution, and globalization while the other is typically religious, anti gay marriage, lazzie faire, gun rights, war on drugs, pro israel, and americocentrism (only america matters). The problem is that most people are a mix of those 2: they believe that saying that religion in education is biased but teaching evolution isn't is hypocritical but also that gay marriage is a personal freedom or that global warming is not a myth but also that unborn children have a right to live. This is where third parties come in. Most candidates go unheard of understandably as the news hardly covers them.

Here's a video about Gary Johnson whom I will be voting for (if he gets the libertarian nomination)

Some people might tell me that there's no way that Johnson can win (thanks a lot winner take all system) and you might be right but if you asked me to pick between mercury and gasoline, I'd pick water.

There are many ideologies in the US, and there have always been many. What you are thinking about most likely is political parties, but even there you are not really right. There are two parties that have been much more successful in attracting voters, but there are dozens of parties.

And I am not stoned enough to vote libertarian. I think you have to show up positive in a drug test to even have the option to vote libertarian.

But polling at 10% in FL, he just might throw it and the White House to the Dems ...

There's always that possibility. Of course, that would make him one of the most hated people in the country.

The problems with voting for any third party candidate is that 1) they mostly lose and 2) they tend to take away support from mostly one of the two major (demorat or republicant) candidates also in that race.

Third party contenders siphon votes from the candidate to whom they're more ideologically similar, or the candidate whose supporters overlap with their own.

With Johnson, the effect of any meaningful insurgency is clear: HRC walks the election.

I refuse to vote for Trump or Clinton .

Would love to see a three way debate with Johnson , Trump , and Clinton but we all know the system won't allow that.

My vote goes to Johnson

I refuse to vote for Trump or Clinton .

Would love to see a three way debate with Johnson , Trump , and Clinton but we all know the system won't allow that.

My vote goes to Johnson

Johnson knows the rules, he needs to get a certain percentage in the polls. Think about it, if any registered candidate could show up for the debates, they'd have to let me in, too. That would be fun.

#FeeltheJohnson

YOU didn't really tell me why I should vote for Gary Johnson. I see no difference between him and Trump and Sanders. You just complained about the system: Something Sanders and Trump does too btw. Then linked to a self-promotion video from Johnson. I thought this would be informative...not campaign click bait.

Johnson knows the rules, he needs to get a certain percentage in the polls. Think about it, if any registered candidate could show up for the debates, they'd have to let me in, too. That would be fun.

The Libertarian Party is the third largest party. Only if he got the Libertarian nomination should he be allowed to debate.

Of course the two controlling parties who own this country aren't going to let him in.

Screw the parties of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum . Vote Johnson.

tweedledee-tweedledum-3.jpg

The Libertarian Party is the third largest party. Only if he got the Libertarian nomination should he be allowed to debate.

Of course the two controlling parties who own this country aren't going to let him in.

Screw the parties of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum . Vote Johnson.

You want the rules changed just for the Libertarian Party? Not going to happen. If Gary Johnson can get polling above 15% in national polls he gets in the debates. He could, of course host his own debate but the other two aren't obligated to come.

Any substantial amount of votes for the libertarian candidate will only ensure another democrat president.

Any substantial amount of votes for the libertarian candidate will only ensure another democrat president.
1-As a Libertarian, you have to understand...I dont much see a difference in the two parties so your fear of a democrat president to me is kinda irrelevant. 2-As long as the parties keep putting up candidates like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and people like you support them just because partisan politics, the country is on the road to nowhere. 3-If EVER there were a year for the Libertarian party to make great strides its this year. Its not just conservatives disgusted by Trump and angry bernouts and run of the mill democrats that cant stand the thought of Hillary as president...its a real opportunity to promote an effective responsible party platform...one NOT based on drug legalization and global isolationism. It wouldnt take much to make this a real race.

I dont love Gary Johnson as a candidate. He came into the party last election as a republican presidential candidate reject and went from credible candidate to pot supporting college hipster. This election he is doing a better job...I just dont trust him. But then...McAfee makes him look respectable and as long as people in the Libertarian party cheer on Vermin Supreme, we can be sure the party will always enjoy the same relevance it knows today.

Maybe people are just fed up with the notion you got to vote for the lesser of the two evils.

You have a right to vote for who ever you want to but don't try to put Trump's loss on the hands of Libertarian voters. The reason Trump will lose is because he is a tv glitter celeb.
If you didn't want the Dems to win you should have gotten a better candidate than one with a greater than 50% negative rating.

Maybe people are just fed up with the notion you got to vote for the lesser of the two evils.

You have a right to vote for who ever you want to but don't try to put Trump's loss on the hands of Libertarian voters. The reason Trump will lose is because he is a tv glitter celeb.
If you didn't want the Dems to win you should have gotten a better candidate than one with a greater than 50% negative rating.

Of course you have a right to vote for whoever, and I don't have a candidate in this fight. As for myself, I am voting local only in this cycle.

But a Johnson presidency would have both the Dem's and Repub's steam rolling right over the oval office for 4 years.

So you say that voting for Johnson ensures a win for a Democrat. Okay.

Then you next post this.

As for myself, I am voting local only in this cycle.

So by your logic you are voting for Clinton. And that is you right.

Am not that naive to think that Johnson has that great of a chance to actually beating the sheep's candidates. But wouldn't it be great to see a sizeable turnout for a Libertarian to let the (D) AND (R) parties know their foundation is starting to crumble.

So you say that voting for Johnson ensures a win for a Democrat. Okay.

Then you next post this.

So by your logic you are voting for Clinton. And that is you right.

Am not that naive to think that Johnson has that great of a chance to actually beating the sheep's candidates. But wouldn't it be great to see a sizeable turnout for a Libertarian to let the (D) AND (R) parties know their foundation is starting to crumble.

The dems and pubs are not going anywhere. No....my pass on the presidential election will have zero impact on either party.

Well, I'd sure as hell vote for him before I'd vote for Trump. Maybe even before I'd vote for Sanders.

Anyone watching the Libertarian Presidential Debate? I actually agree with a couple of Gary Johnson's positions. He wants to abolish the federal Department of Education. That's pretty good.

They have a few other interesting positions, not so good. One of them wants to do away with all our borders. Open them up and welcome all. Another wants a wet foot dry foot plan for all countries getting here. Gary Johnson wants to turn Social Security over to the states and to means test it. Johnson also believes in raising the retirement age and having self directed funds. Austin Peterson wants to allow anyone to opt out of Social Security. Dr. Marc Fedman wants to invest Social Security money in college scholarships for the young. Darryl Perry thinks that we should just do away with SS and count on donations to take care of grandmother.

What interesting positions.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" AT&T using Tapatalk

All those fans of Gary Johnson and Austin Peterson should tune into C-SPAN. I don't think they will be such fans for long.

Minimum wage opinions?

Dr. Marc Feldman - wants minimum wage to be zero
John McAfee - wants to abolish minimum wage in favor of free market
Darryl Perry - doesn't support any minimum wage
Gary Johnson - doesn't want any minimum wage increase
Austin Peterson - wants to set minimum wage to zero

Back
Top Bottom