• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why would you vote for...

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hillary Clinton?

Personally, I do not want another Clinton in the WH.

Hillary Clinton?

There are various reasons. One reason is people view Donald Trump as a way worse option for POTUS than Hillary in the WH. Another reason is SCOTUS justices.

But me personally, I'm not going to vote for Hillary Clinton as she's a totally dishonest, corrupt candidate.

Now if I was in a swing state, I might consider voting for her, but since I live in Texas, and the electoral college votes are gonna go to The Donald without a shadow of a doubt, I'd rather vote my conscience.

Hillary Clinton?

There is no such thing as a perfect candidate, at least until I run for president(and then you all mother****ers better be voting for me). It is always a process of who will do better, as I define better. In this election, for me, that is a pretty easy thing to figure out. Ideologically, Clinton is much closer to me than Trump, so I can expect her to support and promote legislation that I prefer to what Trump would support and promote. I also think that, as she knows Washington and how it works, she is more likely to be able to accomplish things, and I do think it is the roll of government to accomplish things for the country. World events and how a candidate will react is much harder to predict, but I think that Clinton has more knowledge and a better temperament to handle world events. Trumps comments on tariffs and NATO I find worrisome(to say the least). Diplomacy requires a, well, a sense of diplomacy that Trump has not shown. He comes off as too easily provoked.

As far as the third party candidates, even if they had an actual chance(and they do not, which does factor into my decision in who to vote for), neither is closer to me ideologically than Clinton, and neither has shown that they would be a solid alternative. To my mind, both would actually be worse for the country than Trump. That puts me back at looking at the top two, and one is solidly a better choice for me than the other.

I am not thrilled at the choices this year, but I have not been thrilled with the choices for quite some time. All the candidates have major problems with them, and are likely to do things I really do not like. Only one is proposing to do some things I really do like, and only one seems to understand one of my most important principles of governance: you do not have to do it all at once, and just because something is good, it does not mean more of it is even better(for example, I think raising the minimum wage is good, but raising it too high would do more harm than good). OK, so maybe that is two principles, but they are closely related. I may not like her, but Clinton is the best choice for me.

There are various reasons. One reason is people view Donald Trump as a way worse option for POTUS than Hillary in the WH. Another reason is SCOTUS justices.

But me personally, I'm not going to vote for Hillary Clinton as she's a totally dishonest, corrupt candidate.

Now if I was in a swing state, I might consider voting for her, but since I live in Texas, and the electoral college votes are gonna go to The Donald without a shadow of a doubt, I'd rather vote my conscience.

I'm also in Texas, but even if I were in a swing state, I would still vote for Johnson. It's not about Trump or Hillary to me. That's negative. Instead, I am focusing on the positive, that being the viability of third party candidates is getting better. Sure, Johnson won't get more than 15 percent of the vote in this election, but it's much better than the 1 percent the LP got in the last election. It is a sign that Americans are finally beginning to wake up. I can't wait for the year 2024 or 2028. That will be the year a third party candidate has a real shot, IMHO. That is also when the house of cards will finally fall, and you will finally see some real governance in America.

Hillary Clinton?

1) Her husband was one of, if not the best President in at least the last 50 years.
2) Trump is one of, if not the worst candidate for President in at least the last 100 years.
3) She has governmental executive branch experience.
4) She knows how to work with others.
5) She's calculated and won't say stupid, impulsive things that could create unexpected problems.
6) She's wily and can handle others.
7) She doesn't allow emotions to rule her actions.
8) She is far closer to me, ideologically, than Trump.

She has her flaws, no doubt, but she is a far better choice than the alternative.

Hillary Clinton?

With all due respect to your question...I do not think anyone is voting FOR anyone this year.

They are voting AGAINT someone.

I mean Trump or Hillary? Seriously? Some choices there.

It is like someone came to the banquet early and ran off with all the good food, and left us with only the rhubarb pie and the yellow squash casserole.

Neither one will kill you, but I would rather have something more palatable.

Last edited:
Hillary Clinton?

Because Trump is really that bad (his deficit creating tax plan, prospective SCOTUS appointments, NATO, Russia and foreign policy in general aside from some aspects of isolationism). At one point I thought the country just might be able to survive the guy, but that time has long since passed with the increasingly stupid **** he keeps saying.

It's not that I like Hillary, in fact I despise the bitch as the corrupt neoliberal corporate shill she is alongside her equally corrupt party that I have just left in disgust, but Trump is essentially untenable and I cannot risk him getting the presidency, especially with a Republican House and Senate.

In a nutshell, this electoral cycle is a choice between the poison that'll kill me, and the one that won't; not a hard decision.

Last edited:
Because Trump is really that bad (his deficit creating tax plan, prospective SCOTUS appointments, NATO, Russia and foreign policy in general aside from some aspects of isolationism). At one point I thought the country just might be able to survive the guy, but that time has long since passed with the increasingly stupid **** he keeps saying.

It's not that I like Hillary, in fact I despise the bitch as the corrupt neoliberal corporate shill she is alongside her equally corrupt party that I have just left in disgust, but Trump is essentially untenable and I cannot risk him getting the presidency, especially with a Republican House and Senate.

In a nutshell, this electoral cycle is a choice between the poison that'll kill me, and the one that won't; not a hard decision.

Trust me on this....if Trump gets elected, you will not die because of it. (rolling my eyes)

You are not one of the "raw fear" and "just like Hitler" crowd are you?

I am always amazed at how this election has taken normal, well adjusted, thinking people, and made them say silly stuff like this.

"...the poison that will kill you" Sorry to hear your system is that fragile.

Last edited:
Hillary Clinton?

Neither do I. But Trump cannot be allowed in the hot seat.

Trust me on this....if Trump gets elected, you will not die because of it. (rolling my eyes)

I am always amazed at how this election has taken normal, well adjusted, thinking people, and made them say silly stuff like this.

I obviously don't mean 'kill' literally (I am not one of those people who think he will start a rousing game of thermonuclear warfare), but honestly, his foreign policy and tax ideas are so bad as to be untenable, as are his prospective SCOTUS appointments, and if he retains the House and Senate, he'll probably be able to pull off most if not all of it.

In a nutshell, I think he'll be GWB level terrible if not worse.

Last edited:
I obviously don't mean 'kill' literally (I am not one of those people who think he will start a rousing game of thermonuclear warfare), but honestly, his foreign policy and tax ideas are so bad as to be untenable, as are his prospective SCOTUS appointments, and if he retains the House and Senate, he'll probably be able to pull off most if not all of it.

In a nutshell, I think he'll be GWB level terrible if not worse.

You may well be right.

The sad truth of this whole thing is the fact we will not know what any of them will do until they are in office.

Then once they are in office, they can crawfish on anything they said during the election cycle.

Remember daddy Bush's comment " read my hips ". After completely crawfishing on what he said. Just like Obama saying you can keep your doctor, or how ObamaCare will be much cheaper for everyone.

None of us really know what they will do once they are in the office and the door is closed.

That is why our only indicators are what they have done in the past. Not what they said, but what they did.

1) Her husband was one of, if not the best President in at least the last 50 years.
2) Trump is one of, if not the worst candidate for President in at least the last 100 years.
3) She has governmental executive branch experience.
4) She knows how to work with others.
5) She's calculated and won't say stupid, impulsive things that could create unexpected problems.
6) She's wily and can handle others.
7) She doesn't allow emotions to rule her actions.
8) She is far closer to me, ideologically, than Trump.

She has her flaws, no doubt, but she is a far better choice than the alternative.

And that folks, is how it's done.

Hillary Clinton?

You decide on the issues that matter most to you, and then vote for the person who is more likely to support your issues. For me, that's Clinton.

It could have been Trump early on (about a couple of issues important to me), but then it became clear what kind of person he is. He's too dangerous to have in a high level official position. He's also a hater. He talks about people more than issues, and when he does, it's negative, if not downright insulting, rude, crude, unstable, emotional and prone to angry outbursts, and disrespectful. He's not knowledgeable about foreign affairs, how to behave when you represent a county and all its people, economics, and other things. He's the most unqualified candidate I've ever seen.

So...it has to be Clinton. I'm not a fan. But those are the choices. At least she behaves presidential, is very knowledgeable, takes advice from others, and supports a couple of issues important to me. (It's a perk that she has access to a brilliant former President, and is female, though those aren't reasons to vote for her. But a perk is a perk. Do we really need another old rich white guy in the Presidency?)

Republicans usually vote for the party person, whoever it is. The saying is that Democrats fall in love (with their candidates), while Republicans fall in line. So Republicans will probably vote for Trump, even if they think he's crazy and dangerous, IMO.

I would consider an independent, but the only viable one so far is Libertarian, which is on the extreme right of Republican, so I can't vote for that.

He might kill us all because of his temper, inability to keep his mouth shut and make calm decisions and be diplomatic, and his favor of using nuclear weapons. One temper tantrum outburst about Kim Jong Un, and one nuke...and we would all be in serious trouble. That IS a possibility. While it's almost a certainty it wouldn't happen with a Clinton Presidency. She's too calm, experienced, and diplomatic.

Comrade Trump is being played like a violin by Putin.

He might kill us all because of his temper, inability to keep his mouth shut and make calm decisions and be diplomatic, and his favor of using nuclear weapons. One temper tantrum outburst about Kim Jong Un, and one nuke...and we would all be in serious trouble. That IS a possibility. While it's almost a certainty it wouldn't happen with a Clinton Presidency. She's too calm, experienced, and diplomatic.

Comrade Trump is being played like a violin by Putin.

...in YOUR opinion

Back
Top Bottom