• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why would 'Our Virginia' need to reinvent history of Slavery/American Civil War?

Ajay

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why would 'Our Virginia' need to reinvent history of the American Civil War?

I don't know if everyone has heard about the Good Ole state of Virginia using: "A new Virginia textbook for 4th graders claims that "thousands" of African Americans fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War, a claim that nearly all historians of the era reject.", but this is just another in a long string of missteps of whites in the South trying to whitewash the past.

Very sad situation and a reminder of why the GOP's Southern Strategy worked so well for so many years. In all fairness to individual white southerners who fought hard for civil rights , and who were shunned and demeaned at home, not all southerners were or are into hiding their past or whitewashing the truth. I think of Associate Justice John Marshall Harlan.

History textbooks in this country are generally a waste and totally biased. I heard Thomas Jefferson is being left out of the latest edition because he was a deist. Makes ya wonder about history in general...

What do you mean by the GOP's southern strategy working for so many years?

The textbook says that thousands of black soldiers fought for the confederacy in virginia, while the truth is apparently that thousands of black soldiers were enlisted with the confederacy toward the end of the war, but there was some number less than 1,000 in virginia.

I don't really see this as being a gigantic issue.

History textbooks in this country are generally a waste and totally biased. I heard Thomas Jefferson is being left out of the latest edition because he was a deist. Makes ya wonder about history in general...

What do you mean by the GOP's southern strategy working for so many years?

Actually many blacks did serve the confederacy willingly...

Article by Walter Williams and run in the New York Times.

"Blacks Who Fought For the South

Most historical accounts portray Southern blacks as anxiously awaiting President Abraham Lincoln's "liberty-dispensing troops" marching south in the War Between the States. But there's more to the story; let's look at it.

Black Confederate military units, both as freemen and slaves, fought federal troops. Louisiana free blacks gave their reason for fighting in a letter written to New Orleans' Daily Delta: "The free colored population love their home, their property, their own slaves and recognize no other country than Louisiana, and are ready to shed their blood for her defense. They have no sympathy for Abolitionism; no love for the North, but they have plenty for Louisiana. They will fight for her in 1861 as they fought in 1814-15." As to bravery, one black scolded the commanding general of the state militia, saying, "Pardon me, general, but the only cowardly blood we have got in our veins is the white blood."

Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest had slaves and freemen serving in units under his command. After the war, Forrest said of the black men who served under him, "These boys stayed with me.. - and better Confederates did not live." Articles in "Black Southerners in Gray," edited by Richard Rollins, gives numerous accounts of blacks serving as fighting men or servants in every battle from Gettysburg to Vicksburg.
- Walter Williams

Read the rest here Blacks who fought for the South (News Article)

I don't know if everyone has heard about the Good Ole state of Virginia using: "A new Virginia textbook for 4th graders claims that "thousands" of African Americans fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War, a claim that nearly all historians of the era reject.", but this is just another in a long string of missteps of whites in the South trying to whitewash the past.

Very sad situation and a reminder of why the GOP's Southern Strategy worked so well for so many years. In all fairness to individual white southerners who fought hard for civil rights , and who were shunned and demeaned at home, not all southerners were or are into hiding their past or whitewashing the truth. I think of Associate Justice John Marshall Harlan.

That's funny, it looks like 4th grade history would do you good. Can you even find anything factual that gives an example of the GOP whitewashing the truth about civil rights? Do you even know what a Dixiecrat is? Did you know that Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican? I bet you can't answer a single question without a good ol fashion KKK whitewashing.

Speaking of whitewashing history; why do people ignore the fact that the Confederate Army was the first American army to form desegregated units?

I reckon that the real historical facts don't play well with the Liberal version.

Back
Top Bottom