• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why would an adult lie about a child being injured?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So, this actually happened a few years ago in our family - I was thinking about it for no reason, today, and thought I'd post the issue and get some thoughts from others.

I'll present this in two parts to avoid confusion. Situation first and then the focus of the debate.

Situation:
My oldest son is autistic (not severely, though). Most of his autism issues have to do with social and emotional communication, not with education subjects such as math and so on (things that they do tutor for in school).

So some of his issues became worse a few years back, suddenly. My therapist who specializes in family therapy for families with child who have disabilities and disorders suggested we home school him while taking him to a develop institute which would offer more help in these other non-academic areas..

I tossed it around for a while, I didn't really want to do it at first. But his problems became worse so I decided it would be a good idea. I explained our decision to his teachers, principle and counselors at school. They all agreed that for his social and emotional development a bit of home-schooling might be good, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I did the research, organized all the sessions and home school materials necessary and withdrew him from school. Everything went fine.

Two weeks after he was officially being home schooled we were starting to get into a daily rhythm - appointments and home school sessions were going by pretty well. I was able to see issues that the school couldn't (he didn't understand what certain basic words meant - like the word 'explain' and 'discuss' for example) . . . it was going pretty well.

Then one day a lady from the Department of Human Services came to the house. She said (paraphrasing) "Someone called in a report that your son was beaten severely with a stick, bruises covered his body, and that you're hiding him here at the house. . ."

:shock: <--- exactly

So, of course, she talked to him and SAW that he was fine. Asked him "did your parents beat you?" - of course he said no.
The entire situation was ridiculous.

I talked to her about why someone would call in a bold faced lie like that and she said "sometimes paranoia gets the best of people"

I don't know if that helped me feel better about it or not :confused: But I kind of let it go, I had more important things to deal with than what some nut job adult was thinking of.

Debate portion
Why would someone become overly concerned and paranoid to the point that they'd make up a horrendous lie about child abuse?

What do you suppose some people intend to happen?

Do you think just the notion that "someone's looking into their situation and so if something bad is happening then the kid will be ok" is satisfying to someone, somehow?

Gosh, Aunt, I can't imagine how shocking it was for you. Hmmmmm...paranoia. Maybe one of your neighbors saw that your son was now being home schooled and thought there was a "reason" (your beating him) for this change in schooling. But these facts that the woman alleged--beaten with a stick--what the hell? Is there a neighbor that doesn't like you? I don't know why, but I feel like this is something coming from a neighbor. It's possible it's coming from someone at the school, but I don't see that. Anyway, this person may have made this up in their head and what he/she reported was what he/she genuinely believed. I dunno. I don't have a good answer, but I wanted to comment anyway because I really admire how you handled yourself with your choice of home schooling your son. You sound like a dedicated parent. I like you. :)

pure speculation to follow
your son was in school and then was suddenly withdrawn to be home schooled
his peers only observed that he was no longer in school
if you had a daughter middle school age or older the rumors could have been that she was pulled from school because she was pregnant
in your case, the kids presumed that your son's absence from school was due to mistreatment
filling the void to explain why your son was no longer in school, they fabricated what they believed to be the cause
and someone's parent(s) got wind of it and alerted the authorities
a minor annoyance to you
but a safeguard which could have saved a kid from added misery if the officials were acting on fact instead of fiction
for the authorities, they must look at the situation to distinguish between the two
glad your kid is responding well to a home school experience

Look up "Munchausen syndrome by proxy"

That makes sense - that kids were spreading thoughts/rumors and an adult thought that maybe it was something to be checked into, maybe it's likely they didn't really believe it but wanted to eb on the safe side. . . nothing else came after that. If it was someone who had a beef with me then I suppose the normal thing would be for them to keep at it - but other than that nothing else ever happened.

Sounds like someone had an axe to grind with you, or a rumor got out of control.

I would demand to know who made the complaint and file charges against them.

Can't do that - all calls and complaints are filed anonymously. I'll never know.

Nonsense, I'd sue, right to confront your accuser, or sue the organization who contacted you for the investigation until they file charges against the person for making false accusations.

Nonsense, I'd sue, right to confront your accuser, or sue the organization who contacted you for the investigation until they file charges against the person for making false accusations.

How? Why?
Several reasons why that isn't possible and shouldn't be encouraged.

I don't know if you've ever dealt with CPS reports - but the line is annonymous. You call from any phone, leave a message, they follow through with what you report. The CPS comes over to investigate however they see fit and whenever they see fit. They talk to you, the children involved, and other people (school teachers, etc) - and determine if further action should be taken.

It was a 30 minute conversation between the two of us, because there was nothing to really look into it was routine for her and casual, more annoying paper and legwork for her having to drive 30 minutes out my way to investigate this fictitous claim.

also, any reaction back to people who call in reports (even if they are false) would overall discourage REAL issues from being reported. If someone fears that they will be investigated for lying when they see a child being beat by their mother in a gas station restroom then they might be less likely to report it. . . and that goes against the purpose of the CPS/DHS's rights to investigate and make decisions in the interest of the child.

I hear ya. I would feel violated and want someones head though. ;)

I would want to know who reported it so I could just talk to them and ask them where this idea came from. . . Did I do something to them personally? did they just hear it from other kids? . . . you know, the whole other side of the story that's to it.

I would want to know who reported it so I could just talk to them and ask them where this idea came from. . . Did I do something to them personally? did they just hear it from other kids? . . . you know, the whole other side of the story that's to it.

That's why my wife would insist on going first. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom