• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why won't Democrats compromise?

What a load of hoo-hah. Your own numbers in fact look quite bi-partisan.
That's your idea of "bipartisanship?" Seriously?

As for the CRA, hoo-hah again. In fact, if I remember correctly, a higher percentage of Repubs than Dems in both chambers voted for it.
Yes, that's because a high percentage of southern legislators were a) Democrats and b) racists who supported segregation. Since many of those Democrats switched parties shortly after the civil rights legislation passed, it really doesn't make sense to proclaim it as a triumph of bipartisanship.

I don't recall any Senator other than Thurmond who later switched parties.
Yeah, there were apparently over 40 of 'em since the early 1960s. Including Jesse Helms, Arlen Spector, Bob Barr, Trent Lott and Elizabeth Dole. (Reagan also switched parties, but not necessarily because of racial issues.)

OK, since they asked, here's the list of FORTY TWO Democrats who switched to Republicans in the 1960's and...? - Yahoo! Answers

During the ACA process, Dems uniformly stiffed the Repubs. Dems sowed the wind and now reap the whirlwind.
Actually, several Republicans were in on the early drafting process -- notably Grassley, Snowe and Enzi.

The Republicans rejected the idea of the mandates, and switched tactics to obstructing and opposing the law. Even Republicans who previously supported mandates fell into line, and rejected the idea. They had no interest in negotiating or compromising, instead they decided to try and shut down the whole thing.

I.e. the Republicans turned it into an all-or-nothing deal. In doing so, they eliminated the possibility of any negotiations. By fall of 2009, they had no interest in any sort of compromise.

So you tell me, how do you form a compromise with someone who refuses the very idea of compromise...?

The issue (IMHO) is that neither party is very smart. They are all attorneys who LOVE to argue. So they argue. In the meantime, they piss of the 300M + taxpayers in this country. They keep it up and it will become very very bad.

If the Repubs were smart, they would go ahead and pass a debt ceiling increase now while holding out on a continuing resolution, but I don't think either party is very smart. It would take the talking point off the table...

That's your idea of "bipartisanship?" Seriously?

Yup. 85% of Repubs in the House voted for Social Security. 80% of Repubs in the Senate did too. 51% of Repubs in the House voted for Medicare. 43% of Repubs in the Senate. Bipartisan.:peace

We've had over 3 years to analyze the effect of this legislation....

We had no such thing, as people have only been able to get insurance through the exchanges via healthcare.gov for a few days. The individual mandate requiring all citizens to have health insurance has yet to go into effect.

the analysis should have been done BEFORE it was enacted, by the way...and you want to give it ANOTHER 4 years?

How can anyone analyze the impact of a specific piece of legislation if it hasn't even been in effect? Projections does equate to analysis.

Actually, several Republicans were in on the early drafting process -- notably Grassley, Snowe and Enzi.

The Republicans rejected the idea of the mandates, and switched tactics to obstructing and opposing the law. Even Republicans who previously supported mandates fell into line, and rejected the idea. They had no interest in negotiating or compromising, instead they decided to try and shut down the whole thing.

I.e. the Republicans turned it into an all-or-nothing deal. In doing so, they eliminated the possibility of any negotiations. By fall of 2009, they had no interest in any sort of compromise.

So you tell me, how do you form a compromise with someone who refuses the very idea of compromise...?

That's a question that the Dems must answer since they're the ones who would never compromise.

To quote from the longer print version of Krauthammer's column in the WaPo:

"The Democrats insist they welcomed contributing ideas from the Republicans. Rubbish. Republicans proposed that insurance be purchasable across state lines. They got nothing. They sought serious tort reform. They got nothing. Why? Because, admitted Howard Dean, Democrats didn't want to offend the trial lawyers. . . . Having stuffed Obamacare down the throats of the GOP and the country, Democrats are now paying the price.":peace

We had no such thing, as people have only been able to get insurance through the exchanges via healthcare.gov for a few days. The individual mandate requiring all citizens to have health insurance has yet to go into effect.

How can anyone analyze the impact of a specific piece of legislation if it hasn't even been in effect? Projections does equate to analysis.

You've got to be kidding me!!

I guess you, like Pelosi, condone passing legislation without knowing the effect of it. Jeezuz, but you liberals are ass-backwards, aren't you? (I know you call yourself a libertarian, but on this issue, you are walking lockstep with the liberals...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...etc.)

You've got to be kidding me!!

I guess you, like Pelosi, condone passing legislation without knowing the effect of it. Nobody knows the effect of any legislation. It can be projected by the most sophisticated of econometric models; doesn't mean these projections (which you confuse for analysis) will be accurate. See for instance the cost of the Iraq war or the response of the unemployment rate following ARRA 2009.

Jeezuz, but you liberals are ass-backwards, aren't you? (I know you call yourself a libertarian, but on this issue, you are walking lockstep with the liberals...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...etc.)

The budgeting process is not the place to express your sour grapes over failure to prevent specific legislation. It was passed by all branches of government. The Republicans ****ed themselves royally! Their only bargaining chip was not diminishing the well being of the country. Only the most partisan of hacks would blame this on the Dems.

I guess you, like Pelosi, condone passing legislation without knowing the effect of it. Nobody knows the effect of any legislation. It can be projected by the most sophisticated of econometric models; doesn't mean these projections (which you confuse for analysis) will be accurate. See for instance the cost of the Iraq war or the response of the unemployment rate following ARRA 2009.

The Iraq war was a war...not legislation and wars do not always go as planned...irrelevant example. ARRA2009 is another example of poorly crafted legislation that didn't do anything like what its supporters said it would...another poor example.

The budgeting process is not the place to express your sour grapes over failure to prevent specific legislation. It was passed by all branches of government. The Republicans ****ed themselves royally! Their only bargaining chip was not diminishing the well being of the country. Only the most partisan of hacks would blame this on the Dems.

The reason we are having problems with our current budget process is BECAUSE of lousy legislation, so this is a great place to discuss it. It amuses me, by the way, that you blame the Republicans for not having a say in the passage of Obamacare. The fact is, the Democrats own that crap...and all that results from it, including the current budget problems.

The reason we are having problems with our current budget process is BECAUSE of lousy legislation, so this is a great place to discuss it. It amuses me, by the way, that you blame the Republicans for not having a say in the passage of Obamacare. The fact is, the Democrats own that crap...and all that results from it, including the current budget problems.

Learn to quote correctly.

There is nothing so bracing as watching a conservative trying to convince himself that he's winning.

Meanwhile, if since the tea party lost the presidential election and lost the Senate, they can't repeal the ACA, so like adolescents they are threatening the American people with massive economic dislocations unless they get their way.

I think that sums up the conservative mentality, doesn't it? Adolescent?

There is nothing so bracing as watching a conservative trying to convince himself that he's winning.

Meanwhile, if since the tea party lost the presidential election and lost the Senate, they can't repeal the ACA, so like adolescents they are threatening the American people with massive economic dislocations unless they get their way.

there is no winners or losers it is about doing the right thing And there is more evidence that Obama care is not the right thing and it just gets worse by the day it can drag this great nation to its knees and you wouldn't give a rats ass as long as you think your winning. there is no score card its not a freaking game. its about saving us from ideologue sycophants that or more concerned with the score then they are about the game destroying a once great nation

I know you have the Tea Party on your brain, but you should know that they really haven't had much influence on anything since the 2010 election. The current actions of the Republicans is as much because of the old guard Republicans as it is the Tea Party. But hey, if the Tea Party is what occupies you...what gives you a reason to resist the Republicans...then go ahead, whine on about them.

But you should never let your hatred of the Tea Party cause you to underestimate the Republicans...you can be sure that Obama doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom