• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why We're Still Talking About Body Image

I'm a parent of two girls, 10 and 11. I'm more than familiar with the statistics you cite, but I think that's only part of the story, a very important and relevant part mind you, but I think there is another side. Tell you children that you love them, that they are intelligent and that you are proud of them. Over and over again.....

I take time with them, I talk to them like I would talk to other adults and engage them.

My theory is that if I can make my girls believe and feel (what is true) that they are beautiful and smart and loved, they won't have emotional holes to fill inside them, because their mother and I have filled them with love, and caring and a sense that they are valuable.

If I had a larger family in the area I would try to work with my larger family and do the same for my brothers kids and he for mine.

I think these kinds of actions would go a long way to helping deal with the emotional emptiness that so many kids feel because their parents don't understand (or have forgotten) what it is that kids and adolescents need.

:applaud Well said!

I'm a parent of two girls, 10 and 11. I'm more than familiar with the statistics you cite, but I think that's only part of the story, a very important and relevant part mind you, but I think there is another side. Tell you children that you love them, that they are intelligent and that you are proud of them. Over and over again.....

I take time with them, I talk to them like I would talk to other adults and engage them.

My theory is that if I can make my girls believe and feel (what is true) that they are beautiful and smart and loved, they won't have emotional holes to fill inside them, because their mother and I have filled them with love, and caring and a sense that they are valuable.

If I had a larger family in the area I would try to work with my larger family and do the same for my brothers kids and he for mine.

I think these kinds of actions would go a long way to helping deal with the emotional emptiness that so many kids feel because their parents don't understand (or have forgotten) what it is that kids and adolescents need.

Oops, I forgot to finish a sentence...lol

My theory is that if I can make my girls believe and feel (what is true) that they are beautiful and smart and loved, they won't have emotional holes to fill inside them, because their mother and I have filled them with love, and caring and a sense that they are valuable [EDIT]: and they won't need to seek value externally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom