• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why we can't stop body-shaming

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Why we can't stop body-shaming - CNN.com

"It's never been this intense, this relentless," she said. "There have never been so many forums in which you can gaze at different images of women, evaluate them, comment on them (and) share them with your friends."And it's not just celebrities anymore, she adds.
"There used to be a class of people who had to worry all the time about how they looked, because it was their job," she said. "Now we don't really have a front line between those people and everyone else."

Here's a friggin idea - how about people stop giving a damn about what other people think?

Toughen up.

Live your life and stop worrying about what other people say or think about you.
Do you honestly think you're that important?

Be happy with yourself and basically say a big "F U" to everybody else. Especially if they are strangers.

Stick and stones yo. Sticks and stones.

Here's a friggin idea - how about people stop giving a damn about what other people think?

Toughen up.

Live your life and stop worrying about what other people say or think about you.

Be happy with yourself and basically say a big "F U" to everybody else. Especially if they are strangers.

On some level I agree, no matter fat, thin, in shape or otherwise I am going to be judged. It is up to me how I allow that to effect me.

However, using someone's body shape to attack and belitte speaks poorly to the one doing so. That type of person has more self loathing than the invectives they spout at others.

If I run into you, the chances are, I'm fatter than you, and hairier than you. If you're a dude, I'm probably shorter than you.

I'm also way cooler than you, my wife is more awesome than yours, my friends are better than yours (unless you are my friend, in which case, congratulations, you made it), and my life is ridiculously blessed.

Keep your chiseled jaw, piercing blue eyes, and the physique that requires that you spend 2+ hours at the gym/day and a regimented diet to maintain. I'll enjoy barbequeing whatever the heck I want, and watching my awesome kids play outside, instead.

Toughen up.

Sometimes, our culture goes too far.

Other times, people are projecting their insecurities.

However, it is exceedingly rare for the suggestion "calm the **** down" to treat a person in the midst of a panic attack.

If I run into you, the chances are, I'm fatter than you, and hairier than you. If you're a dude, I'm probably shorter than you.

I'm also way cooler than you, my wife is more awesome than yours, my friends are better than yours (unless you are my friend, in which case, congratulations, you made it), and my life is ridiculously blessed.

Keep your chiseled jaw, piercing blue eyes, and the physique that requires that you spend 2+ hours at the gym/day and a regimented diet to maintain. I'll enjoy barbequeing whatever the heck I want, and watching my awesome kids play outside, instead.

It's really not that easy. A lot of people that have self image issues develop them over many years of their life. In some cases this can go all the way back to early childhood where they might have been fat or short or just the below the norm in some area or another. It's not as simple as just getting over it at that point. Depression is a legitimate mental health issue and self image issues do cause it.

Yeah, the lack of internet privacy is a problem. One can avoid putting anything out on the internet for the masses to grind, but other people can just put you out there for you.

But most of that drops off once people get to know one another. Co-workers, friends, etc. So unless you are just tying your well-being to the internet, hopefully it isn't that huge of a shift to the bad side.
I think there is some ability to moderate that stuff too, if you contact side admins about posting your image, etc., never had to worry about it but apparently there are some things you can do if someone is harassing you that way.

Toughen up.

Good advice.

Not gonna happen.

It's really not that easy. A lot of people that have self image issues develop them over many years of their life. In some cases this can go all the way back to early childhood where they might have been fat or short or just the below the norm in some area or another. It's not as simple as just getting over it at that point. Depression is a legitimate mental health issue and self image issues do cause it.

But it's self image. I have my own preferences as to what appeals to me at first glance, and perhaps more so if and when I get to know more about you. Anybody who says otherwise is lying, either to themselves or other people.

If you don't like yourself, the only person that change that is you.

But it's self image. I have my own preferences as to what appeals to me at first glance, and perhaps more so if and when I get to know more about you. Anybody who says otherwise is lying, either to themselves or other people.

If you don't like yourself, the only person that change that is you.

Again, it's not that simple. Consider the short man complex. What is that caused by? Well, the man is short, likely weighs less than other man, and likely has less muscle mass than other men. He feels inferior and like it or not, he is inferior, so not only is it his perception of reality, but it is in fact reality, and it is a reality he has had to live with for likely his whole life. He was likely small all through his childhood and because he never had any noticeable growth spurt, he stayed that way into his adulthood. It's understandable that a man in that situation would have body image issues. The reason many of them try to compensate for their lack of height is because they are depressed and are trying anything they can to feel better. It's not just, oh, you're fine, people like you as you are, but something inside the persons head that has been building their whole life. They can't just turn it off and believe what you say is true. In fact, they likely don't believe such words because they know from experience it's not true.

Again, it's not that simple. Consider the short man complex. What is that caused by? Well, the man is short, likely weighs less than other man, and likely has less muscle mass than other men. He feels inferior and like it or not, he is inferior, so not only is it his perception of reality, but it is in fact reality, and it is a reality he has had to live with for likely his whole life. He was likely small all through his childhood and because he never had any noticeable growth spurt, he stayed that way into his adulthood. It's understandable that a man in that situation would have body image issues. The reason many of them try to compensate for their lack of height is because they are depressed and are trying anything they can to feel better. It's not just, oh, you're fine, people like you as you are, but something inside the persons head that has been building their whole life. They can't just turn it off and believe what you say is true. In fact, they likely don't believe such words because they know from experience it's not true.

So what do you propose? Free elevator shoes?

Fact is, you change the things you can if they bother you, and live with those you can't. Nobody else can do that for you.

So what do you propose? Free elevator shoes?

Fact is, you change the things you can if they bother you, and live with those you can't. Nobody else can do that for you.

I realize people have to live with things as they are. I didn't say otherwise in any of my two posts in this thread, but just that it's not as simple as the OP put it.

Michelle Obama started the whole body-shaming thing with her child obesity in America and school lunches kick. Blame her fat booty for that.

obese people should be encouraged to not be obese..... There should be shame in poor lifestyle choices that affect your health.

Everything has to be perfect. I am as perfect as they come. Who cares what everyone else thinks about that and what their definition of perfect is.
On a more serious note, we are way to self absorbed and superficial. Everything has to be so someone's standard, one which changes a la mode. Was thinking that at the dentist this morning.
So I had to wait a bit....at least I have a dentist to go to.
So my teeth aren't perfectly white...at least I still have all of them.
So not all of my teeth are in perfect alignment, but they are healthy and without cavities.
So bite me.
My boobs are a bit unevenly sized, I have a pimple on my chin today, and my dress size has increased from an extra small to a small. My hips are a bit fuller than they used to be. Sue me.
My hair...don't even get me started. It is what it is, and it is all mine.

if you don't want people to talk about the way you look then don't post it on the internet.
if you personally don't like the way that you look then do something about it.

go to a doctor find out what is wrong get on a plan that works for you and a regiment
to change your life.

if you don't want people to talk about the way you look then don't post it on the internet.
if you personally don't like the way that you look then do something about it.

go to a doctor find out what is wrong get on a plan that works for you and a regiment
to change your life.

Or - understand that nobody is perfect. Everybody has flaws. Some are physical. Some are emotional.

Most of the people who pick on the looks of others are far more flawed than the target they chose.

Those who live in glass houses often times throw the most stones.

Most of the time, if somebody is making fun of you, or insulting you over your appearance, THEY are the one with the problem.

They might be making fun of the size of your nose, but I can almost guarantee if you stripped them naked, you could find untold numbers of "flaws" on them.

Be confident in yourself, and don't let others bring you down.

Back
Top Bottom