• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why We Can't Legalize Marijuana

Sherman123

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It would devastate the monopolized medical marijuana industry---oh, and strike a severe blow against public safety and well being of course.

When the referendums came up in California, Colorado, and Washington these lobbying groups were some of the biggest opponents (California businesses spent heavily in Washington on the 'No' campaign). Sidling up next to National Corrections Employees Union (NCEU) and anti-legalization lobbies with gusto they've worked assiduously to defend their interests. It's obviously different depending on the state, in California it's much more aggressive due to the size of the industry, but as marijuana legalization has crossed the threshold of plausibility opposition has suddenly materialized.

Big Marijuana lobby fights legalization efforts - Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

It can't be made legal because its too easy to grow, and is therefor less profitable, and harder to tax.

It would devastate the monopolized medical marijuana industry---oh, and strike a severe blow against public safety and well being of course.

When the referendums came up in California, Colorado, and Washington these lobbying groups were some of the biggest opponents (California businesses spent heavily in Washington on the 'No' campaign). Sidling up next to National Corrections Employees Union (NCEU) and anti-legalization lobbies with gusto they've worked assiduously to defend their interests. It's obviously different depending on the state, in California it's much more aggressive due to the size of the industry, but as marijuana legalization has crossed the threshold of plausibility opposition has suddenly materialized.

Big Marijuana lobby fights legalization efforts - Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

Care explaining how it would deal a severe blow to public safety? Be sure to list facts and figures. Not to mention, in medical marijuana states, pretty much anybody can get a prescription at any time, so how would that make it "more" dangerous?

It can't be made legal because its too easy to grow, and is therefor less profitable, and harder to tax.

^^ This combined with a dash of jesus are the only reasons it's illegal. Let's not kid ourselves here.

People still living in the stone age I see.

Care explaining how it would deal a severe blow to public safety? Be sure to list facts and figures. Not to mention, in medical marijuana states, pretty much anybody can get a prescription at any time, so how would that make it "more" dangerous?

^^ This combined with a dash of jesus are the only reasons it's illegal. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I was being facetious. Of course it won't harm public safety or order. Monopolies, especially ones carved out by haphazard government regulation are terrible.

I can't edit my OP but I'll copy paste my reply to Rabid: I was being facetious. Of course it won't harm public safety or order. Monopolies, especially ones carved out by haphazard government regulation are terrible.

If that wasn't clear, my bad.

A SMALL dash of Jesus. Those priest drink wine. Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've never woken up after a night of pot smoking and was humiliated by my actions...at least, not nearly to the extent the boozes has this affect.

We can't legalize it because of the FDA and all the money that the law enforcement industry makes from the war on drugs.

It doesn't matter though. More people are smoking cannabis than ever before in America and the numbers aren't going to change. Too bad we're not living in a democracy anymore.

I think our fear of pot goes back to "Reefer Maddness." and US drug enforcement is big buisness.

Booze ruins people's lives, and is more dangerous in many ways. Whats the difference?

Just saying ruining people's lives is big business. In industrial prison complex is worth billions.

I think our fear of pot goes back to "Reefer Maddness." and US drug enforcement is big buisness.

No our fear of pot is come pot head coming to work and killing someone because they are still stoned. Many of us work in and around machinery that can easily kill in a heartbeat if run by someone in a drug induced haze.

No our fear of pot is come pot head coming to work and killing someone because they are still stoned. Many of us work in and around machinery that can easily kill in a heartbeat if run by someone in a drug induced haze.

I guess we should make alcohol illegal too, since someone could get drunk and go to work too!

And if they come to work drunk and hurt someone, they should go to jail.

And if they come to work stoned and hurt someone, they should go to jail.

So?

So?

I think you should read more about THC and how long it stays in the body. What the long term effects are and how in many cases it does lead to harder drug use.
Sure, there will be tons of people who say they only smoke pot and never did anything harder. But the point is ever addict of other dope started with pot.

I think you should read more about THC and how long it stays in the body. What the long term effects are and how in many cases it does lead to harder drug use.
Sure, there will be tons of people who say they only smoke pot and never did anything harder. But the point is ever addict of other dope started with pot.

I won't claim expert status in the overall subject because, well, I'd be lying.

Still, what is your point? That THC resides in the fatty tissues and will show up as long as a month later in a test while alcohol will leave your system much more quickly? Or are we discussing impairment - in which case they are quite similar.

As far as being a "gateway", I think that's propaganda. If marijuana had never been discovered but all the other drugs had, do you think less people would have used them? If marijuana is an introduction to inebriation, then so is alcohol. In which case, alcohol is heavily advertised and promoted so more people have begun using other drugs because of it. The best case you can make is that alcohol should be as illegal as marijuana.

Of course, the fasted growing segment of illicit drug use in recent years is prescription drug abuse. Should we, like Nigeria, make all forms of pain pill illegal and let people die slowly, screaming in pain?

I won't claim expert status in the overall subject because, well, I'd be lying.

Still, what is your point? That THC resides in the fatty tissues and will show up as long as a month later in a test while alcohol will leave your system much more quickly? Or are we discussing impairment - in which case they are quite similar.

As far as being a "gateway", I think that's propaganda. If marijuana had never been discovered but all the other drugs had, do you think less people would have used them? If marijuana is an introduction to inebriation, then so is alcohol. In which case, alcohol is heavily advertised and promoted so more people have begun using other drugs because of it. The best case you can make is that alcohol should be as illegal as marijuana.

Of course, the fasted growing segment of illicit drug use in recent years is prescription drug abuse. Should we, like Nigeria, make all forms of pain pill illegal and let people die slowly, screaming in pain?

Not to mention that most pot users smoke tobacco and drink alcohol first. Why are they never called gateway drugs?

Not to mention that most pot users smoke tobacco and drink alcohol first. Why are they never called gateway drugs?

As an anecdote, I think pot served as a gateway drug for many people I knew. But that was more a byproduct of having it constantly equated to crack and heroin in the popular literature at the time. And the benign nature of pot leading many of us to question the claims about other drugs

naturally alcohol and tobacco lack such a social stigma, so don't act in similar ways

So?

Why? From everything I've read from supporters, being stoned is a good thing and actually makes you perform better, and pot smokers are holy and blameless creatures who would never do anything wrong.

Why? From everything I've read from supporters, being stoned is a good thing and actually makes you perform better, and pot smokers are holy and blameless creatures who would never do anything wrong.

why would he be answerable for some other person's argument and a hasty generalization, especially when he's actually contradicting it?

why would he be answerable for some other person's argument and a hasty generalization, especially when he's actually contradicting it?

Some of the defense of marijuana is a little schizophrenic. It's just like alcohol!!! No wait, it's better and safer and marijuana use has never contributed to death or injury.

So then my question is, if doesn't cause any harm, why support regulating in any way?

Booze ruins people's lives, and is more dangerous in many ways. Whats the difference?

The ramifications of alcohol prohibition were more immediately substantial and obviously destructive; the only reason why one still exists while the other does not.

In practical terms, there is no difference. Both were born of the same line of thinking and both are pointless for the same reasons.

Some of the defense of marijuana is a little schizophrenic. It's just like alcohol!!! No wait, it's better and safer and marijuana use has never contributed to death or injury.

Are you responsible for every moronic argument made by someone that is a conservative, against abortion, or pro-gun?

So then my question is, if doesn't cause any harm, why support regulating in any way?

Why do you keep demanding people account for arguments they never made?

Back
Top Bottom